993 Forum 1995-1998

WTT: 3-Spoke Leather Airbag w/standard crest for silver crest

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 03:25 PM
pstraub
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraX
You know that after you get the silver airbag crest, your hood crest wont match. That drove me nuts. Thankfully Nick (Nurburger) hooked me up with a silver hood crest. All is good in the world now
You are so right, I did the silver hood crest a couple weeks ago

Old 01-31-2015, 08:18 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious, the silver crest you showed in your original post was silver, with only black bars, like mine below, but the one you ended up with was silver with red and black bars. Are any of the silver variants original equipment - and if so which ones?
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2015, 08:51 PM
pstraub
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deekay911
Just curious, the silver crest you showed in your original post was silver, with only black bars, like mine below, but the one you ended up with was silver with red and black bars. Are any of the silver variants original equipment - and if so which ones?
From what I have observed, any factory oem airbag with silver crest is just silver and black, like the 2 photos below (leather and vinyl example). If there is red or 'other' coloring, I believe the airbag crest is aftermarket, or maybe an oem part that was designed for something else, like a 356 hood.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:07 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Gotta admire that leather bag w/silver crest!
Old 02-01-2015, 09:58 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

I prefer the aftermarket crest with red in it.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:35 PM
intrepidagent
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The silver and red Wheel Dynamics pieces with the solid PORSCHE lettering are 356 hood handle crests. They're 30mm wide by 40mm tall, the same size as the OEM airbag piece. If you'd like your hood crest to match the 356 crest you need a refinished "old style" 901 piece with solid lettering as well.

Another option for the steering wheel crest is the one from a dealership VIN paperweight. These were sent by PCNA following the purchase of a car as a thank you gift and have a deeply stuck pattern which makes resin filling easier. The VIN plaque on this one had been unscrewed before I picked it up at the Hershey Swap Meet last year:

I'm currently refinishing a matched set of red, white and blue pieces for a customer (hood, steering wheel and wheel center resin filled crests) and utilizing the piece from a VIN paperweight for the steering wheel.

A little heat and it's off the pylon:

After the original fill is media blasted out it's given a utilitarian nickel plate, and the quadrants are sequentially filled with Marine Resin and wet sanded.

Here's a pic of the customers completed Hood Crest, with the steering wheel crest still needing blue resin, wet sanding and polishing as well as a final (polished) nickel plating:

And just for good measure here's the wheel center cap crests in various stages of refinishing, from L to R - Original worn cap, media blasted crest, partially filled crest awaiting additional resin fill, wet sanding, polishing and plating:

Last edited by intrepidagent; 02-07-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:07 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Jim ^^ I have always admired your work
Originally Posted by FlatSix911

Jager, well done!
Originally Posted by nine9six

Jäger, I have to say I have never been or felt so fortunate to have met somebody; you are nothing short of a class act, sir!
Gents ^^ Seems all I did was enable another parts hoarder?
Originally Posted by pstraub

I now have a silver airbag crest thanks to 'curve lover'.

Wheel Dynamics had 2 versions. I bought one of each.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:12 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by deekay911

Just curious, the one you ended up with was silver with red and black bars.
Are any of the silver variants original equipment - and if so which ones?
David-- As RLer Intrepidagent (Jim) mentioned, Wheel Dynamics' are modified 356 parts.
From my experience, the red/silver steering wheel crest on my OEM bag referenced below is as installed stock.
Originally Posted by Nurburger

My leather airbag has a silver crest with the red bars, which I think looks great. Believe it was an option on one of the special edition 996s.
Originally Posted by curve lover

Greetings from a parts hoarder.

Similar to Nurburger (Nick)'s mention about his OEM leather 996 bag crest, my vinyl cover & its badge are OEM, IIRC.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:33 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pstraub
Also thanks to '600RR' for the directions on removing the airbag cover from the airbag module, which allowed me to remove the gold crest and install my new silver version.
I've been searching for that thread, but can't seem to find it. Can someone point me in the right direction?

TIA
Old 12-12-2015, 06:27 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep. Take off the four screws and lift off the retaining ring. I got a set of plastic pry bars like these http://www.harborfreight.com/nylon-p...-pc-69668.html.

You can push out the cover from each of the silver tabs so that they are free of the plastic cover.. I place some hard cardboard between the cover and the tabs as I move around - it makes it easier. It's a bit awkward the first time. After you free one set and try a second it seems the first set snaps back into the holes.without the cardboard. I used the cardboard to keep the metal tabs from snapping back into the holes as I free each part. Once all the tabs are free you can gently remove the cover. I keep the air bag in a zip-lock while working inn the cover.

I dremel-ed off enough of the rivet to free the badge/crest. If the new silver crest has a post you can use retaining screws like those on the hoods crest; or you can glue on a new crest; or both. I use my go-to product ShoeGoo from which no crest will escape.

You can't hurt anything if you are gentle in prying out the tabs. After the first time you are a pro.

BTW, one can purchase new gold crests from Porsche ( 356 hood crest) but the post is higher on the crest and a new hole in the airbag cover is needed. Not a problem, but be aware. No one is going to see the second hole in any event.

Let me know if you have questions. I could do some pix if the explanation is lacking.

Also, Paul, let's see some new pix!
Old 12-12-2015, 06:43 PM
waizone
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Paul, OT but like your leather dash and door panels. Is that stock or did you have that added? Thanks
Old 12-12-2015, 10:19 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 600RR
Yep. Take off the four screws and lift off the retaining ring. I got a set of plastic pry bars like these http://www.harborfreight.com/nylon-p...-pc-69668.html.

You can push out the cover from each of the silver tabs so that they are free of the plastic cover.. I place some hard cardboard between the cover and the tabs as I move around - it makes it easier. It's a bit awkward the first time. After you free one set and try a second it seems the first set snaps back into the holes.without the cardboard. I used the cardboard to keep the metal tabs from snapping back into the holes as I free each part. Once all the tabs are free you can gently remove the cover. I keep the air bag in a zip-lock while working inn the cover.

I dremel-ed off enough of the rivet to free the badge/crest. If the new silver crest has a post you can use retaining screws like those on the hoods crest; or you can glue on a new crest; or both. I use my go-to product ShoeGoo from which no crest will escape.

You can't hurt anything if you are gentle in prying out the tabs. After the first time you are a pro.

BTW, one can purchase new gold crests from Porsche ( 356 hood crest) but the post is higher on the crest and a new hole in the airbag cover is needed. Not a problem, but be aware. No one is going to see the second hole in any event.

Let me know if you have questions. I could do some pix if the explanation is lacking.

Also, Paul, let's see some new pix!
Thanks. This is very helpful
Old 01-28-2016, 03:56 PM
westsiderkg
Banned

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

Is wheel dynamics still selling these? I tried contacting them but no reply yet? Thanks.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:22 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by westsiderkg
Is wheel dynamics still selling these? I tried contacting them but no reply yet? Thanks.
PM sent!
Old 01-29-2016, 07:37 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default WD

Are you still selling silver/red SW crests? Price?

Quick Reply: WTT: 3-Spoke Leather Airbag w/standard crest for silver crest