Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 RS - Would you sell them all to own one

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 01:33 PM
teej
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clubsport, I'm well versed in economics and collecting cars. Taking advice from someone who cant even bring themselves to be a member here is obviously one of the last things I or my 10 year old would do.

Originally Posted by clubsport1
Tom,

If you fit a rear spoiler you need to fit a real Turnwald spoiler from the right era, not a later reproduction.

They are hard to find and not cheap either.

I am sure many will disagree and there will be a cheap fibreglass reproduction that looks ok from 10 feet away. If you know these cars you can spot a dodgy spoiler immediately, most owners of the real deal do not fit non factory parts. I know of a few people looking for factory large spoilers to back up the provenance of their car.

I have owned both small and large spoiler cars. Personally I prefer the small spoilers as a regular RS with the large spoiler loses it's subtlety, others will have a different view.

Teej,

You really need to look at an economics 101 to understand a little about supply and demand, these cars are already bought globally now.

The majority of these cars are in strong hands. I have spoken with a few people looking to buy cars and many owners just cannot part with them, even at current levels.
The rest of the world is managing to price, drive and own these cars without waiting for the US to get involved in owning them. There may be a few other US owners who are willing to buy when cars come to the US, maybe it's not just you who will be washed in a tsunami of supply!

Let's hope you get to own one some day when prices fall, before others look to buy.

There is some great enthusiasm for the Unicorn 993 on this forum, but they do exist and are owned in the rest of the world!
Old 04-02-2015, 02:37 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Teej,

I was never looking for an argument. On the internet???

In the Uk there is little representation of Rennlist, so I have never felt the need to sign up. I have nothing to sell anybody on here.

As a long term genuine multiple 993RS owner with real world, rather than internet experience of these cars, I have happily responded to many questions and requests for information and data from rennlist members, over the years at no charge!

For the most part there is a good enthusiastic crowd on here, a genuine enthusiasm for the 993 and the elusive RS variant.

You should come over to the UK Porsche and RS forums, they are friendly and don't charge.

I would not look to give you advice as it is not important to me in the slightest, purely an opinion much like yours and everyone else on here.

I hope your day gets better, enjoy your car and keep the RS dream alive...one day!!!!
Old 04-03-2015, 01:30 PM
f1ava
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clubsport1
You should come over to the UK Porsche and RS forums, they are friendly and don't charge.
link pls ?
Old 09-09-2015, 06:24 PM
tp81
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 09-09-2015, 08:07 PM
Barryn
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That's fantastic

Glad that it is back with you Tom.

Enjoy the rest of the summer driving it..
Old 10-06-2015, 06:00 AM
tp81
Instructor

Old 10-06-2015, 06:01 AM
tp81
Instructor

Old 10-06-2015, 06:02 AM
tp81
Instructor

Old 10-06-2015, 08:50 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 246 Posts

Looks superb, Tom.

Are the red painted seat shells original?
Old 10-06-2015, 09:14 AM
tp81
Instructor

Thanks, yes the seats came like that from the factory. all very coordinated with red belts and red script on the carpet.

One of the details I like is the glove box, my car opted for passenger airbag delete, the glove box is now on the dash rather than below and the internal side of the door is painted midnight blue the same as the body colour. Very cool.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:36 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by tp81
Thanks, yes the seats came like that from the factory. all very coordinated with red belts and red script on the carpet.

One of the details I like is the glove box, my car opted for passenger airbag delete, the glove box is now on the dash rather than below and the internal side of the door is painted midnight blue the same as the body colour. Very cool.
Very unique - I like it.

Any regrets so far on selling your turbo?
Old 10-06-2015, 09:57 AM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
Default A beautiful car but then I'm a bit baised.

Yes it's a copy, but with all factory parts other than Hans Hahn seats and Southbound carpets. Sunroof delete done by 9M. Standard engine with PSS10s.
Makes it a dammed expensive replica but not in the same price band as the genuine article. Daily driver, pot holes and comfort are not a problem. I would still like a genuine RS but then I probably wouldn't use it as much.
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2015, 10:01 AM
tp81
Instructor

Thanks, I wasn't totally taken with the seats when I first went to see the car but really like them now.

In terms of regrets with the Turbo, none at all, its a very different car.

There is no question the turbo was an incredible car in terms of performance and capability, the RS is very, very different. Its probably not fair to say its better, the cars are completely different in their set up (despite being the same car in my wife's opinion) that to compare the two cars is unfair. I prefer the lighter more direct feel of the RS, the noise inside, the gearbox, the brakes and the way the car handles makes it feel like a completely different car. I also prefer the naturally aspirated engine, the way I drive the car is also very different, with the single mass flywheel the engine is very responsive, the engine spins very quickly if you rev the car, down changes are a joy with the engine being so free revving.

In the turbo I tended to cruise along in a higher gear and when pushing on would rely on the mass of torque to make progress, change up and repeat. In the new car, I find myself driving along in a gear that keeps the revs higher and when pressing on the revs build slower than the turbo but still quick enough, it feels more controllable and more precise.

All in all very happy.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:44 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Last edited by JB 911; 11-16-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:34 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

i wouldnt sell my fleet to buy one, but i wouldnt certainly add one if i could!

They really are just the most awesome 993 next to GT2.

Quick Reply: 993 RS - Would you sell them all to own one