Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 RS - Would you sell them all to own one

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 03:58 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's such a shame that the decision to buy a REAL Porsche RS comes down to if you are likely to make money on it!
Old 01-12-2015, 04:20 PM
tp81
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I will update as and if things develop, the car I am enquiring about is LHD and the owner is not frequently online and not quick to answer email. Still in two minds, the money might decide things for me.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:55 PM
eeterp
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's one http://www.atspeedmotors.com/95-993-RS-Silver

Personally, I'd take a turbo and RS tribute.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:50 PM
grogger993
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuner1
Very strong potential appreciation (i.e. good investment) but it drives like a 993 C2 with nice coilovers and a little bit more power. Supply and demand aside an RS should cost 20% more than a standard C2.
Spot on I reckon.

Before getting my 993 RS I had a 993 C2 (non-varioram), and although I have had the RS approx 10 years now so the memory is rather distant, at the time of the switch I thought that there was nothing in it between the strength of the engines. As for whether the handling is any better in the RS I also don't recall any significant difference. You might then wonder why I bought the RS, but I bought it because it was more 'special'. I can't explain it any more than that.

The RS is definitely more of an 'event' than the C2 in terms of the anticipation of driving it, the drive itself (especially on track) and the fact that (to my eyes) it looks so damn 'right' without being all 'hey look at me'.

The price differential between a 993 C2 and a 993 RS is though utter madness. Objectively the RS is not 4 or 5 times better than a C2, which is the sort of multiple one sees in the UK these days. I expect when it was a new car the RS probably was about 20% more than a C2.

Anyway, the market has spoken and the prices are what they are, so what I think doesn't matter. I love owning my RS, so much so that I doubt I will ever sell it even though with young children I very rarely get the chance to drive it. Even if I had more time I very much doubt that, if I wasn't lucky enough already to have one, I would buy one today at current market prices. They are now so expensive. In addition because the market places such a premium on low mileage there is a perverse incentive not to drive the thing too much, which rather goes against buying it in the first place.

As Colin McRae allegedy said, "we are here for a good time, not for a long time", so if the OP has an itch to scratch he should ignore my ramblings above and get an RS. One can always sell it again, it is not like having children.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:59 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

As ever, these RS threads end up being all about price and value?

If you look at numbers produced, the 964 & 93 RS look almost reasonable compared to asking prices for 2.7 RS particularly the lightweight.

The potential is there as these cars are accepted in more historic race series and the collectors aspirations associated with this cachet.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:31 AM
dm18
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have rhd hong kong tax paid 2.7rs, 964 rs and 993rs. my first 993rs was heavily modified and i drove that car like crazy - it was a simply awesome car which gave me much happiness. best friend desperately wanted it so i sold it to him and bought a time warp dead stock car with 2,000 miles that initially felt like a c2 in comparison to my much loved monster. over time i began to much appreciate the dead stock car so no regrets now.

market is what it is. you cant fight it and good luck figuring out where it will be when you eventually sell. until then it doesnt really matter. so if the math works for you at today's prices plow ahead. if not give it a miss. really not much else yo can do.

to me at least i am smitten by the air-cooled rs magic spell. they are special cars. in the world of collectible cars they are not that expensive imo. but what do i know? for sure not much
Old 03-17-2015, 08:41 PM
tp81
Instructor

I have finally managed to drive a 993 RS, out for a run in 2 this morning. Incredible car. Will get back to that but keen to know more about the engine noise at low revs pulling away in 3rd or 4th, Jesus what a rattle! Both cars were the same, I can only assume they are fitted with the lightweight flywheel and the noise is gearbox chatter? Is this the case on all 993RS cars or only those with a single mass flywheel.

Not sure how you tell other than strip down. The engine was very quick to rev much livelier than my C2S.

Keen for feedback
Old 03-17-2015, 08:52 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I love the RS but i wouldnt sell the farm for it.
It is still a carrera 2 ...........

I love my 993 but the RS version is not worth the price step IMHO.
Same goes for 964RS...
Old 03-18-2015, 02:12 AM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 97 Posts

I have a 993 2S and a 4S, both have been personalised w respect to suspension, ecru tune, etc., and as close to perfect for my driving needs as possible. Very very good cars both.

I also have a 993 RS which is completely stock except for lighter forged wheels.

As mentioned before, the 993 RS just seems greater than the sum of its parts - the noise, the kart-like driving feel, the seeming lack of inertia on the road. The feel of the car is very different from the 2 other 993s, clear from the the moment the starter engages.

From a pure driving point of view, irrespective of nostalgia or legacy, I would seriously consider a 997 RS 4.0 over the 993 RS if you are considering selling the two other cars. The 993 and 4.0 are close in price these days, and the 4.0 also has some upside potential.

From a price point of view, I would argue that despite the current elevated price, the 993 RS is still undervalued RELATIVE (only!) to the 2.7 RS and the 964 RS, both of which were made in greater numbers. After all, the 993 RS is the last of the air-cooled RSs, and it's performance potential is most accessible compared to the 2.7 or 964 RS.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:11 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

TP,

I had a regular 993RS M002 with the dual mass, there was no more noise than a regular C2, it is the same flywheel.

On this same car, I fitted the single mass as per the CS and 964RS, that is the noise I told you about. Initially it is annoying, you do get some improvement in pick up.

The noise is usually gone by 1500-2000 rpm as the gears have taken up the slack as it were, then you get the improvement in responsiveness higher up the rev range.

My current CS M003 has the single mass as standard fitment and without any trim or headlining, it is definitely noisy, almost a racket!

As a road car the M002 with dual mass is great. On track where you hardly ever spend time below 2000 rpm, you do not get to hear the annoying noise, so a single mass is a definite improvement.

I feel the single mass adds a little in performance and maybe more in character.

It is something you get used to, but as I mentioned it may not be something you take to straight away?

Maybe you just require more refinement in a car, which is what a regular M002 RS offers.

If you fit a dual mass instead, the car will be as silent (in terms of chatter at idle) as a C2/S and still rev better on the road due to the gear ratios.

Personally I would give the single mass a bit more time.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:38 AM
tp81
Instructor

Paul,

The noise wasn't annoying, more worrying as if the gearbox was suffering some damage. The band was as you describe around 1500 to 2000 then away, only when I was cruising in a higher gear and then accelerating. Not really the way to drive the car. If its normal then great, lack of experience of this makes me wary.

In terms of the drive I absolutely loved the car, great gearbox, the noise, the feel, much more responsive. All in all right up there in terms of driving experience. V pleased and well worth the short flight down to London.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:23 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Tom,

I totally appreciate where you are coming from.

When I took my dual mass RS in to be converted to single mass, after my first mile driving it down the road, I was going to turn around and ask if the mechanic if he had tightened everything up!

In some respects you do adjust your driving style, you may change down earlier to keep the revs up rather than labour in a gear, that is like learning to drive a Lhd car in the UK, it doesn't take long.

The cars are everything I told you they were, dare I say it, but RS and Turbo owners do not tend to get on with each other's cars.

Owners tend to be in one camp or the other, so it doesn't surprise me the RS appeals.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:56 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by tp81
I Last year I managed to source a very well sorted and immaculate 993 Turbo, without going into a huge amount of detail I again really love the shape and style of the Turbo but I actually prefer the raw and more mechanical drive offered by the C2S.
smart man
NA Rules

but i doubt you will notice a huge mechanical interface difference between C2S and RS.
Transmission ratios "may" be biggest differentiator between the two.

if you have the means and opportunity
DO IT!
Old 03-31-2015, 05:29 AM
tp81
Instructor

Quick update. The deal on the car is agreed, there are a few mechanical issues to sort and some cosmetic items to tidy up. All in all very excited and looking forward to a long relationship with the car (cant bloody wait).

Here a quick picture from the day of the test drive.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:50 AM
Aaron 993C2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woo hoo! Congrats! All the best with the best!

Quick Reply: 993 RS - Would you sell them all to own one