993 Forum 1995-1998

OT- Need a Daily Driver - Opinions solicited

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 09:07 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought a new 15 GTI and love it! And Im NOT a VW guy. This thread is what peaked my interest.
https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...-my-daily.html
Old 01-16-2015, 09:27 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
I drove one of these 2015's for 3 weeks when my Mercedes was in for repair. White C300 4 Matic with black interior, AMG wheels, AMG mats, pano roof, etc. Had everything. MSRP was like $52k or something like that. I LOVED this car, maybe even more than my 2008 MB S63. My friends were crazy about it and I had 3 guys in the back once for a 40 minute drive downtown. They said it was fine back there. I still dream about that cool radio/nav with the swipe feature to change channels. It's a shame it was too small for some of you. I'd be happy to own one if my current car ever died. Maybe.
Just leased a new C300 4Matic for the girlfriend. She loves it and says it's no comparison to the 2013 BMW 328i she had before. Both cars are luxury package etc but the MBZ is a different world. The only negative thing I have to say is that the BMW was quite a bit quicker. The C had a sticker around $53K with nearly every option currently available. Lease offers are pretty good right now.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:48 PM
Aircooled Dave
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm somewhat in the same boat. I just put an order in for a 2015 Audi S3 as a daily driver. It's a little frumpy in the looks department, but the S3 treatment really helps. It's built on the same MQB platform as the Golf/Jetta, so it's rock solid. It also has the newest Audi interior theme, which is much more minimal. It's almost a throwback given how clean and simple the interior design is.

I was closely looking at GTI, but found the S3 a bit more refined and better optioned with AWD, a much more potent engine and a few more amenities. I'm not in my 20s so the extra stuff does have more appeal as you age. The price difference between the two is ~$10-15K with depending on the deal you can get. I like the fact that it's fairly small (about the same size as the late 90s era A4), quite efficient (31mpg FWY) and 4 doors so it has a modicum of practicality. Adults can fit back there, but I wouldn't want to be there for extended periods and the trunk is fairly small. Overall driver legroom/headroom was quite reasonable at my 5'11 stature and the seating position was comfortable.

What most impressed me was the drivetrain. I found the engine quite responsive with a mountain of torque and the 6spd DSG is just amazing. I wouldn't miss a manual in this application. They reworked the 2.0T considerably for the higher power output with new cylinder heads, reinforced block, larger turbo, etc...Coupled with the AWD (Haldex) and DSG it definitely has the grip to match the punch.

This will be my 4th Audi. Our earliest car (A4) did have some issues that plagued the late 90s cars, but those were common themes across almost all manufacturers. bad coilpacks, vacuum lines deteriorating, bad ball joints, etc....The last 2 Audi's (A6 4.2 & Q7 TDI) have had no issues at all beyond normal maintenance. Our current Audi, a Q7 TDI is just a tank. It just goes anywhere you want with nary a complaint.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:16 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a '08 BMW 535i 6-speed for daily driving duties...could not be happier...the 6-speed is the key. 300 HP & 300 lb-ft available at 1700rpm...that's work nicely!
Old 01-17-2015, 10:17 AM
nycarrera
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C400

Went from leasing an S4 to the new MB C400. The build quality and refinement of the Mercedes is vastly different. The MB is heavier, feels more planted and is faster than the S4. Opting for the v6 version of the C or waiting for the upcoming amg version may be the way to go.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:34 PM
Justin S2
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
When was this?

Keep in mind no manufacturer builds cars "like they used to."

If I could get any new car as a daily, it would be a loaded Audi S4 6MT. If not that, than a loaded Audi A4 6MT.

If I didn't care if it was automatic, I might go with a loaded allroad, or an A6 3.0T Prestige sport.

The period where they built B5s and C5s...
Old 02-01-2015, 09:01 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I was looking at Audi A3's, S3's and the VW GTI. But then I checked out the BMW M235i and my wife and I loved it so much we bought it off the dealer lot...something we've never done! Its the perfect size for us as everything has gotten so big. It's extremely fast with a wonderfully smooth 6 cylinder turbo. The handling is well balanced with very precise steering. And the seating position is perfect. We're happy campers.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:02 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts

Flat out stunning and the perfect hot color for an M car. Brilliant!
Old 02-02-2015, 07:00 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Flat out stunning and the perfect hot color for an M car. Brilliant!
Thank you very much. Not in your new S63 class, but it will do!

Quick Reply: OT- Need a Daily Driver - Opinions solicited