Sponsored by:

OT- Need a Daily Driver - Opinions solicited

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 01:51 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 204 Posts

I had an S Audi and an AMG Mercedes. Both are great, can't go wrong with either. The C63 exhaust note is intoxicating. I just put the C63 mufflers on my wagon and holy crap!!
Old 12-29-2014, 05:56 PM
pegdrag
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Regarding the F40 suggestion,

I actually did search for a "nice" used F40.

Now I need the correct phrases to use to explain the F40 to my wife. Suggestions?

I'll note in passing that she seems to have difficulty with the concept that I have a "weekend" car and a "daily driver." She suggested once that we don't have a weekend refrigerator.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:15 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 517 Posts

I'll second the Volvo comment. I bought a beater to commute about 30 miles round trip. It's a 98 Volvo V70 XC and has all wheel drive. It's huge and slow, even with a turbo but it keeps ticking along for 145k miles now and just regular maintenance. I bought it 30,000 miles ago for 2500 bucks. It's paid for itself in gas and wear and tear on my truck or occasionally the 993. Worth every penny and I am sure I'll sell it at 200k for 2500 bucks....
Old 12-29-2014, 10:26 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

If you get a Volvo, follow this advice. I hear this single mod makes it go faster.

Originally Posted by bcameron59
Won't be driving the C4 this winter so am getting a 2007 Volvo XC70 a neighbor is selling. Rumour has it the inline 5 was a porsche design so I will be installing this hood badge in recognition:

Old 12-29-2014, 10:34 PM
overrestored
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We've had a very successful run of audi wagons. Started with a 2002 S6 Avant. Drove it for 120k... traded it in on a 2012 A4 titanium avant that has 20k on it now . Great cars. No issues other than regular maintenance. Love the interior design and level of detail. Spend the money for the highest level of trim... it is worth the difference.

We almost bought an RS5 convertible... but came upon a 993TT for less money!
Old 12-30-2014, 10:19 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Interesting that several people have suggested Volvos. But they were all old ones. Who knows what Volvos are like now the Ford sold them to a Chinese Company. I believe that they are coming out with some refreshed models, but for the most part their cars haven't changed in many years. I'd stay away.

There are some great options being mentioned above. Enjoy the search!
Old 12-30-2014, 10:58 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 566 Likes on 382 Posts

I have had a great run with Audi previously....bulletproof in the most extreme conditions. I have my first MB c-class now and can say right up front....it does not instill the durability confidence I had with Audi. Drives better, but has had a couple issues that cars shouldn't have by 20k miles. That said, the C63 or and AMG is entirely different beast.

Last edited by 95_993; 01-01-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:35 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by pegdrag
I know Audi's had a long stretch where they had horrible build quality.
When was this?

Keep in mind no manufacturer builds cars "like they used to."

If I could get any new car as a daily, it would be a loaded Audi S4 6MT. If not that, than a loaded Audi A4 6MT.

If I didn't care if it was automatic, I might go with a loaded allroad, or an A6 3.0T Prestige sport.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:39 PM
pegdrag
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
When was this?

Keep in mind no manufacturer builds cars "like they used to."

If I could get any new car as a daily, it would be a loaded Audi S4 6MT. If not that, than a loaded Audi A4 6MT.

If I didn't care if it was automatic, I might go with a loaded allroad, or an A6 3.0T Prestige sport.
70's, 80's, and early 90's were not kind to Audi. One might argue that the issues continue:

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanag...iqsx-large.jpg

I suspect that the quality of auto's and Audi has improved overall.

I was not looking for a fight about it, just curious about the experience of rennlist members.

I had a 5 series BMW a few years ago..and it had a bunch of major issues after the warranty ran out. I fixed them and sold the car, but it was off-putting. I like the M-cars, but its hard for me to buy a BMW after the 5 series.

I'll have a look at the S4's, however.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:22 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 408 Posts

If you really need rear seats, consider the Audi S6 as well. The all wheel drive is phenomenal - not just in the snow, but in rain and all driving conditions. Valve cover seals and oil pan will likely need some attention at 100,000+, as will the control arms and bushings. I just did the work on my 2007 4.2L A6, and she runs like new! Best of luck with the search.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:05 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I was not looking for a fight about it, just curious about the experience of rennlist members.
What, no fight!? Come on this is RL! I want to fight about useless topics!

70's, 80's, and early 90's were not kind to Audi.
Could be right - I don't have much experience with the early models.

I'll have a look at the S4's, however.
While I haven't driven a new S4, I've driven a new A4 and even without any sport suspension it drives very well. Personally I'd want a manual, but the S-tronic DSG (which I think is the auto option for the S4) is very quick these days.

As said, if you need more rear legroom look at the A6 or S6. The S6 has a pretty nifty Exclusive interior option pack (black with red stitching and armrests), which no doubt costs a lot though. Or A7 of course - since it is the same chassis I imagine rear legroom is comparable. Don't know if the rear headroom is less because of the fastback roof though.

This is gray, not black, but has the red stitching:

My one qualm about the current A6/A7 is the seat selection. Premium and Premium Plus net you what are called 'standard' seats. Prestige nets 'comfort' seats. Only the S6 (and S7/RS7) has 'sport' seats, or available 'comfort' seats. In other words, I would be very upset to pay for an A6 and not be able to get sport seats.

As for build quality with new cars, really only time will tell. I've never worked on the newer Audis. But the models from the turn of the millennium are built very well with one exception: the undercoat application is not the crazy level that Porsche used decades ago.

Back then the Bose stereo was (and is) quite fantastic for a car. Modern Bose systems seem to be comparable, but apparently B&O is the hot topic today.

While there are always some exceptions, I think they (and probably most mfg's) have improved designs of areas that are prone to rusting, flooding or clogging (drains), etc.

Metal and paint quality have both gone down in the past decade. Cost cutting is prevalent in all manufacturers. Hence my prior statement that no car is really built like it used to be.

Reliability IMO is largely determined by how the car is cared for. If you're on top of the maintenance, it can last a long time.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 12-30-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:42 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
When was this? Keep in mind no manufacturer builds cars "like they used to." If I could get any new car as a daily, it would be a loaded Audi S4 6MT. If not that, than a loaded Audi A4 6MT. If I didn't care if it was automatic, I might go with a loaded allroad, or an A6 3.0T Prestige sport.
Oh man, my first new car was a 1988 Audi 80 and it was a complete and total POS! And the 4000's and 5000's weren't good either. I owed to never have another, but my wife had an A5 that she loved and that was perfectly reliable. I didn't like driving it though. Control layout wasn't great and brakes / throttle weren't either. Much happier with the 435 that replaced it, but the S5 is a whole different kettle of fish compared to the A5 (except for ergonomics).
Old 12-30-2014, 08:58 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 577 Posts

I take it that you are OK with (perhaps prefer?) automatics but if not you might consider an E90/E92 M3. I have a 2011 E92 M3 as a DD that is a great fit. Practical, yet actually fun - even on the boring commute to work. Also pretty anonymous in the basic colors which is nice for something to park at work, grocery store, etc... Think about it at least, in my opinion it's a lot sharper and more fun to drive than an AMG or S5. Not so compared to the 997 (I've owned one of those as well) but it is definitely more practical and innocuous looking if you care abut that sort of thing. I'm not sure what I'm going to replace mine with when the time comes because I'm not a fan of the new M4, but I have some tough requirements for a DD.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:10 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

this is too cheap to ignore for a dd

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...-in-socal.html
Old 12-31-2014, 02:07 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Regarding the F40 suggestion,

I actually did search for a "nice" used F40.

Now I need the correct phrases to use to explain the F40 to my wife. Suggestions?

I'll note in passing that she seems to have difficulty with the concept that I have a "weekend" car and a "daily driver." She suggested once that we don't have a weekend refrigerator.
Take your wife into her closet and tell her to segregate her everyday (daily) shoes and handbags from her dress/evening(weekend) shoes and handbags.

The the clothes.

Then the jewelry.

She'll get the concept then.

Maybe put an extra fridge in the garage or basement stocked with beer while you're at it.

Quick Reply: OT- Need a Daily Driver - Opinions solicited