993 Forum 1995-1998

Uneven brake pad wear

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 04:53 PM
ard
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Uneven brake pad wear

I just changed my front brake pads and noticed rather uneven pad wear. The outboard side is worn more than the inboard side and the driver's side is worn more then the passenger side. Any pointers to potential root causes? The car does not pull left or right on breaking.

Much appreciated
Attached Images  
Old 12-26-2014, 05:22 PM
Jwolf427
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When was the last time you bled your brakes?
Old 12-26-2014, 06:29 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by ard
I just changed my front brake pads and noticed rather uneven pad wear. The outboard side is worn more than the inboard side and the driver's side is worn more then the passenger side. Any pointers to potential root causes? The car does not pull left or right on breaking.

Much appreciated
The leading edge of the pads will always have a tendency to wear faster than the trailing edge, the use of a larger piston on the trailing end and a smaller piston on the leading end is aimed at evening that out. It generally works well enough on 993 pads w/ fully functioning pistons.

When it doesn't it is usually an indication of sticking or frozen pistons.

Your calipers probably need to be rebuilt,

The main preventative measure is frequent fluid changes, at least annually. The less the car is driven the more attention the fluid and piston exercise is.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:56 PM
ard
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwolf427
When was the last time you bled your brakes?
Wolf, I bleed the brakes regularly, ~ every 6 months / 2k miles and the fluid usually looks healthy when it's bled.

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
The leading edge of the pads will always have a tendency to wear faster than the trailing edge, the use of a larger piston on the trailing end and a smaller piston on the leading end is aimed at evening that out. It generally works well enough on 993 pads w/ fully functioning pistons.

When it doesn't it is usually an indication of sticking or frozen pistons.

Your calipers probably need to be rebuilt,

The main preventative measure is frequent fluid changes, at least annually. The less the car is driven the more attention the fluid and piston exercise is.
Thank you Bill for weighing in. I was vaguely thinking about sticking pistons but wouldn't the car tend to pull to the side opposite to the one where the piston is sticking? Or wouldn't the rotor with the sticking piston be noticeably hotter than the opposite side rotor?

Thanks again

/alex

Quick Reply: Uneven brake pad wear