Question From NEW 993 CAB owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 12:08 PM
beans88xtc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question From NEW 993 CAB owner

Hi everyone
Let me start by thanking everyone on the site. Im a new owner and this site is awesome. Down to my problem

Yesterday here in NYC it was a beautiful day so I thought Let me take the baby out for a spin. It was so nice I decided to put the top down. As the top unlatched at the top of the windscreen it got hung up at bit.( The original owner taught me to unlatch with button just enough and then to "help" it off the windscreen. And then to use the button the rest of the way. I kind of for got this when doing this time) After it got hung up it stopped working and the center warning light came on(big exclamation mark). I read the manual which says the auto top has a safety feature that will stop the motor if it detects any hang up to save the mechanism. Here is my question, after reading where the auto tops fuse was i pulled it and noticed it was blown. it the fuse box are spares so i pulled out on spare and noticed it was also blown.(luckly there was a second spare, I popped it in and the top worked again) So my question is
Is the fuse blowing part of the safety feature the manual talks about or do I have some sort of a short somewhere? The fact that there was another blown fuse tells me this probably happen to old owner. unfortunately I am finding the old owner wasnt as straight forward with the cars issues and was able to get a few things past me with the purchase, so im wondering if this is another.
Thanks in advance to any and all that reply
Old 12-15-2014, 12:45 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, congrats on a your car. Second, I don't know much, but do have a cab, and have found that fuses are the safety valves for the car. I'd get a couple of extra fuses and try to repeat the exercise to see if you get the same result. If you do a search on here you'll see that many cab owners have converted to manual mode just to avoid top issues that come with an older car. Don't get discouraged. Most of the nagging issues can be easily fixed. GL.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:23 PM
Brit-cab
5th Gear

Hi and welcome to cab ownership. We are a minority so need to stick together!

I've had a few issues with my top not opening/closing on demand and the causes have been:
Poor connection at the handbrake switch which is just a crude affair and needs cleaning or adjusting sometimes.
Dry joints on the control unit tucked up under the dash.
Damp in the microswitches
Failure of the microswitches.

But your problem - I've not seen (never had a fuse blow). I don't mean to be rude by suggesting the obvious but have you checked the fuse is the correct rating? If it is too low it would blow on a normal load.

If that's not the problem then you need to check all the adjustments of which there are many and check for any problem with the driving motor and cables perhaps?
Old 12-15-2014, 02:27 PM
beans88xtc
Track Day

Thanks for info 600RR . That was my plan to buy some fuses and see what happens. A side note I dont know why Porsche just wouldn't say this in the manual. It says if the safety feature engages bring it to a dealer. I know they are there to make money but that seems extreme and opens the door for unscrupulous dealers to play on someone's ignorance all for a fuse
Old 12-15-2014, 02:33 PM
beans88xtc
Track Day

Brit The fuse was a 15 didnt check if thats correct. The orginal owner had receipts for having top motors and new top installed not too long ago. If its not part of a safety feature. Im worried the shop that did the work didnt do a great job. As i said earlier the seller(sorry to say a rennlister) got over on me for a few things i really hope this isnt another to add to the list
Old 12-15-2014, 03:27 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi - Welcome to the world of 993 cab ownership. this is a great site but the price of admission is PICTURES!. please post a few pics - always good to see a new 993 cab join the Rennlist crowd...

as to the top - these are a complicated item and prone to some issues. a great many of us have "converted" the top to manual operation. a search will explain in detail. essentially the electrical feature is used to latch and unlatch the top from the windscreen header. then you lower and raise the top by hand.

The fuse is a safety feature like any fuse in any circuit - when the load on the circuit gets too great (a motor is restricted, a short circuit exists, etc) the fuse blows preventing damage to other components.

One of the quirks of these cars to work through but nothing like top down driving on a nice day!!! enjoy and welcome
Old 12-15-2014, 03:55 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The fuse should be 30 amp. Happened to me couple of weeks ago. The top stuck but I didn't help to lift it off the windshield. I was thankful for the fuse. The reason it was stuck could be 2 reasons: it's hasn't been used for a long time or out of alignment. You can lube the 2 pins with anti seize grease or something that doesn't attract dirt. If it's out of alignment you have to adjust it. If the top is used regularly, you shouldn't have to "help" it.

2 alignments to check:

1-both side should be at the same height (check when the top is couple of inches above the windshield)
2-both side should reach the its position properly (pins should be lined up at the holes before all the way down).
Old 12-15-2014, 05:27 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome!

I would strongly recommend converting your top to manual operation. Since you shouldn't drive without the boot in place, you have to get out of the car anyway.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:05 PM
beans88xtc
Track Day

Guys I cant thank you enough. You all have managed to ease my mind greatly. As i mentioned ive been beating myself up for missing a few things in the purchase. I mean i always say " alls fair in love, war, and car sales" but if i found one more thing about this car the old owner got over on me i was really going to lose it. Oh and yes i do plan on converting to manual. My thought was there isn't such a rush because the previous owner just recently did service on the motors. But he planned on doing the conversion if he didnt sell and with my research here it looked like a good idea. Since i bought the car right before winter ive only used the top a few times which gives me to spring to research the process.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:48 PM
beans88xtc
Track Day

Sorry i forgot to pay up here are some pics

Old 12-18-2014, 10:12 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the new ride and glad you got your issues sorted with the top. I love that color combo and almost pulled the trigger on a car with that combo when I was looking.

Count me in the "leaving the top in power mode" camp. The car was designed and engineered to have its top powered so that's the way I use it. Surely I take care during the process and watch how the mechanism is articulating, and guide things along with my hand if needed, but it works fine.

There's an owner on RL, Rich, with a 300k+ Cab. The car was also featured in an issue of Panorama. He mentions that he's replaced the top three times, but unless I missed it, I think he's always raised/lowered the top using the power switch. If that's the case, I'm good with it!

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...300-000-a.html
Old 12-18-2014, 07:51 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Wow, she looks so clean. Any more pics?
Old 12-19-2014, 12:57 AM
beans88xtc
Track Day

Old 12-19-2014, 11:31 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

That is a fantastic color combo and the wheels set it off even more. Doesn't look like its been lowered yet,which would make look even better...the slippery slope begins!
Old 12-19-2014, 02:35 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lovely.

Quick Reply: Question From NEW 993 CAB owner