993 Forum 1995-1998

ATTN SF Bay Area RLers: January Meetup TBD

Old 12-11-2014, 12:59 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ATTN SF Bay Area RLers: January Meetup TBD

*********UPDATE as of 12/30/14*********

Thanks everyone for your patience. I've finalized the routes and logistical details for this Saturday's Meet-Up and Drive!

As mentioned above, we will be gathering at the Starbucks parking lot in South San Jose on Bernal Street anywhere between 7:30 AM and 9:00 AM. Please be there before 9 AM because we will need to split the group up into separate driving groups, discuss route details, and remind folks of safety tips. Both the short and long drive groups will be leaving promptly at 9:30 AM.

---------------------------------

The short drive will take the route that I initially proposed (minus returning to the Starbucks) and has the option to continue driving on some of the great back roads within the Santa Cruz mountains after this loop is completed. See the route below:

Short Drive Map and Directions Here.

---------------------------------

The long drive will take a revised route, heading first to Hollister to gas/gear up, then down 25 to 198, 198 to Jolon Road, Jolon Road to Mission San Antonio, Mission San Antonio to Big Sur, Big Sur to Carmel, and Carmel to home. This will be a full-day trip. We will have a Bring-Your-Own (BYO) picnic lunch at the mission where there will be picnic tables available to us. When I called the mission today, they said it was sunny but cold so bring layers! From there we'll take the mountain pass over into Big Sur. Given the clear sunny weather that is forecasted, the view should be amazing! (If some folks don't want to continue to Big Sur and leave at or before lunch, that's fine but please let me know so we don't go looking for you.)

Lastly, in Carmel I have made a reservation for an early dinner (5pm) at the Baja Cantina and Grill located in Carmel. Since we will likely have more than 20 people dining there, we will have a 5-item limited menu at the fixed price of $25 per person (including tax, tip and non-alcoholic drinks). Margaritas and starters can be purchased separately. There will be one bill for the whole parties' food items so please bring cash to pay your share of dinner!

To summarize this longer drive succinctly, the first half will be fast and the second half will be scenic.

Long Drive Map and Directions Here.

Attached here are the finalized itineraries for both short and long drives. Details about the dinner restaurant can be found: here and here. For those who are curious to learn more about the mission, you can do so here: http://missionsanantonio.net/

Thank you all for your strong interest in this meet-up! I look forward to seeing you all on Saturday!

*********UPDATE as of 12/16/14*********

First off, thank you to everyone who has expressed interest! I'm a bit shocked and overwhelmed by how many people want to participate in this proposed event. I suppose that is proof that has been too long.

Because I've been getting so much interest, I've created a GOOGLE FORM to help me sort through all of these responses. Even if you have responded to this thread saying you're in, please click the GOOGLE FORM link and complete the form. This will help me plan the best route(s) for the group and help organize sub-groups so that no one gets lost and everyone has a great time!

Lastly, because response has been overwhelmingly in favor of meeting on the Saturday rather than New Year's day, I've decided to hold this event on Saturday, 1/3/2015. Thanks for continuing to make Rennlist an awesome community to take part in!

Older Post(s)
So the idea was raised in another thread, but it's off topic there so I'm raising it again here. I've been shocked at how few meet-ups have been coordinated for/by the RL crowd in the SF Bay Area over the last year so I'm going to do something about it. Let's meet up!

The New Year is quickly approaching and once all this foul weather and holiday chaos subsides, I think it would be a great time to gather up, talk cars and enjoy some back roads. Exact time, location, and route are TBD at this point, but I'm thinking of either gathering on New Year's Day 1/1/15 or the Saturday of the first weekend following 1/3/15.
  1. Are interested in gathering up?
  2. Would either of those dates work for you?
  3. What region of the SF Bay Area would you be coming from?
  4. How many cars/people do you anticipate bringing?

Once I get some sense of a head/car count, I can start plotting and scheming a gathering location and driving route. At this point I'm just raising the topic here in the 993 forum because I am a little worried about the gathering getting too large for me to manage alone. That said, other Porsches and Porsche drivers are welcome too!

Please RSVP in this thread answering the above four questions, and I'll start compiling a spreadsheet of attendees.

Here is to a new year full of Pcar content!

Last edited by Spyder_Man; 12-30-2014 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Updating Information and Info Requests
Old 12-11-2014, 01:24 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts

Cool. I'm interested and provisionally in.

Saturday is better than New Year's Day.

Would be coming from mid-Peninsula.

I'd have a one car and two people (including me).

Maybe we descend upon Canepa...

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Gathering at Alice's on Skyline and driving twisties to Canepa is always a good route option. Thanks for the idea.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:01 PM
laneskelton
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interesting in Sat. but I would be driving a 996 or 944 if that's allowed?
Old 12-11-2014, 02:13 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
Gathering at Alice's on Skyline and driving twisties to Canepa is always a good route option. Thanks for the idea.
Sure. Alice's makes it even better.

For those who haven't been to Canepa, here are a couple of pics from the shop floor... prepare to drool...

Old 12-11-2014, 02:22 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

1. Yes (If you allow water-cooled cars)
2. Sat
3. SF
4. One - GF doesn't like cars ;-/
Old 12-11-2014, 02:30 PM
993KT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes
Sat
SF
+1 Maybe
Old 12-11-2014, 03:05 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

All models of Porsches are welcome, though those driving Porsche-made tractors might have trouble keeping up with the group.

It looks like Saturday 1/3/15 seems to be the more popular date. It's been years since I've visited Canepa Designs so if anyone has existing ties and can get us a special behind the showroom tour, let me know.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:19 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried to get a meet going a long time ago in Fashion Island/Foster City, at the same place where we met Rudy that one time when he traveled to the Bay Area. There wasn't much interest.

The Cobra club does the Alice's/Canepa once every couple/few months, but I'd do breakfast for sure. Likely just one (1).

Saturday 1/3 is better. And I'd be coming from the Peninsula.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:19 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I missed the GGR November trip to Canepa, and would like to do that.

1. Yes
2. Sat
3. South Bay
4. One
Old 12-11-2014, 03:20 PM
bugkiller930
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested.
Sat or Sun is good.
Coming from SF
1 car + 1 friend for sure or maybe 3 cars and w/ 3 drivers.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:29 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
It looks like Saturday 1/3/15 seems to be the more popular date. It's been years since I've visited Canepa Designs so if anyone has existing ties and can get us a special behind the showroom tour, let me know.
I don't have any particular in, but I'd be happy to get in touch with them and get the ball rolling. Given the date, seems possible that they'll be closed. I'll find out.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:45 PM
1990-964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Yes, interested
2. Prefer New Year's Day but Sat is ok too.
3. Peninsula
4. One
Old 12-11-2014, 04:56 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by RodKnock
I tried to get a meet going a long time ago in Fashion Island/Foster City, at the same place where we met Rudy that one time when he traveled to the Bay Area. There wasn't much interest.

The Cobra club does the Alice's/Canepa once every couple/few months, but I'd do breakfast for sure. Likely just one (1).

Saturday 1/3 is better. And I'd be coming from the Peninsula.
Im guessing the lack of interest was in the location. Driving to Foster City is not exactly a fun drive. Alice's or Canepa will probably attract more interest.

I'm in if my wife is scheduled to work on that day, if she is off I will probably have to drop out.

1) Yes
2) Either but prefer 1/1
3) Would be driving from Santa Cruz
4) One
Old 12-11-2014, 05:05 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

1) Yes
2) 1/3 would work
3) Would be driving in from Sonoma
4) 1 car, 2 people