993 Forum 1995-1998

ATTN SF Bay Area RLers: January Meetup TBD

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fun to see this being discussed again.

This Rennlist centric drive started small with about five of us trekking to Nepenthe on Superbowl Sunday. Over several years, it grew to 30+ cars, but with the growth came undue attention.

I have stored away many route options that head south of Hollister. If anyone if interested, PM me for map - route suggestions. One comment to note... if you want to take a group through Ft. Hunter-Liggett, it is best and courteous to alert fort security of your plans. If nothing else, you can avoid the car by car insurance check. Also, I have always found the base personnel really friendly and open to car groups trekking across the fort (legally). As route teaser, the climb over to the coast from Ft. Hunter Liggett is an epic driving experience !

Have fun !
Old 12-19-2014, 03:54 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

First off, thanks Jim for the advice regarding dealing with the fort and the check points. Also thanks to the 13 of you who have completed the quick survey at this point! This will really help me plan the event in a way that hopefully everyone will enjoy.

At this point, here is how I am envisioning the gathering:

The event will happen on Saturday, January 3, 2015. Everyone will meet up at a common point (probably at the Starbucks in southern San Jose on Bernal Road) in the morning and have an hour or so to to checkout each others cars and chat. The attendance roster will be checked off and route instructions will be handed out. The group will then separate into two driving groups taking two different routes:

For those that only have time for a short drive, one group will head off to the Santa Cruz mountains for some twisty back roads and scenic views. ***I am also hoping someone will step up to lead this group as I will be joining the second one for a longer drive.*** At this point I'm thinking a good route might be Uvals Road to 152 to 1 through Aptos to Old Soquel-San Jose Road to 17 and back to San Jose. Here is a map of this possible route:

2-hour drive through Santa Cruz Mountains

For those that can devote the full day to driving, the second group will head south to Hollister where everyone will gas up before taking Route 25 South and driving one of two possible loops depending upon what the weather looks like. (Option A) If the weather is decent and the coastline looks fog/rain free, then group will take 25 to 198 westward and connect over to Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd and ultimately Highway 1 and Big Sur. (Option B) If the coastal weather doesn't look so great, then the group will take 25 to Coalinga Road to Coalinga for lunch. Then west on 198 to 101 to Carmel Valley Road north-westward. Either way promises great driving roads and good scenery! Also either route will include a group luncheon somewhere along the route TBD. Here are maps of these two possible routes:

Option A: 5-hour drive from Hollister to Big Sur and back

Option B: 6-hour drive from Hollister to Coalinga to Carmel Valley

These routes may be adjusted somewhat going forward to better fit peoples' schedules, and folks can always peel off from the group as needed. Still I figure you all would appreciate a sneak peak at the driving routes that I'm dreaming up here.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:58 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

Not sure what info you have on H-L, but last time I went through, they moved the gate beyond the usual route. No checkpoint.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:26 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Spyder Man, thanks for organizing. I can lead the shorter route. Although I'm not quite a local, I think I've done some of those roads on foot. Also... I'm not the most experienced driver pushing these cars anywhere near the limit, so I won't be driving ludicrous speed as they say.

If you don't get any other volunteers, consider me in.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:27 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Got you a response as our holiday (non) travel plans have cleared up to consist of NYC in mid-January. Go figure.

So, unless Stupid Business Problems crop up, we'll join in.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:39 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

@race911 - Good to hear!

@mpruden - Thanks for offering to lead the shorter drive. You don't necessarily have to be the first and fastest in the pack of cars when driving, just make sure people know where to be going and make sure the leader and the rear don't get too spread apart.

At this point I've got 20 positive responses from individuals through the form. Thank you all. Feel free to spread the word to other Porsche-philes. A few non-Porsches *might* be tolerated in the mix too.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:33 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are there enough people driving from foster city to SJ on the shorter route? I would be interest in a group drive down
Old 12-22-2014, 12:51 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

At this point we've got 23 positive responses to the survey of which 9 expressed interest in a 1-2 hour drive, 13 expressed interest in a 3-5 hour drive and 7 expressed interest in a 5-8 hour drive. There is some overlap in responses and these numbers do not account for myself and a couple of folks that I know offline that might be joining.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:48 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

So sorry to do this, but just got a phone call that some family is flying in on 1/3. Never a dull moment this time of year.

Spyder_Man, please remove me from the list this time. Next time for sure though!
Old 12-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Understood, it is an unpredictable time of year in terms of weather as well as work and family obligations. Next time it is!
Old 12-22-2014, 10:34 PM
FlyingDutchman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in, just filled out the ggl form. -
Old 12-22-2014, 11:09 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

Back in for one of the shorter drives.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:28 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 27 Posts

Is it OK if a lowly, depreciating 997 joins in?
Old 12-24-2014, 02:01 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Absolutely, All model Porsches are welcome! Please just fill out the Google Form linked in the opening post so I have an idea of your timing and constraints. (There might be a non-Porsche or two snuck into the mix too.)
Old 12-24-2014, 03:50 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

In that regard, I have a Vette buddy. May i invite him?

Quick Reply: ATTN SF Bay Area RLers: January Meetup TBD