993 Forum 1995-1998

ATTN SF Bay Area RLers: January Meetup TBD

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 11:27 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Glad Steve is ok. Damn painful to see that gorgeous example mashed.

Andreas
Old 01-04-2015, 12:24 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh no! I hope Steve is Ok. That's terrible to see Rufus like that.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:26 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you everyone for attending! Those of us that took the long way home had a great drive on some very fast and scenic roads. Thankfully it all happened without any tickets or damage.

My heart and stomach wrenched when I first heard about Steve's incident. Having met him in person for the first time that morning, he is a wonderfully friendly guy who clearly loves these cars and this community. Yes, **** happens sometimes and cars can be repaired/replaced much more easily that humans can, but it just sucks that this happened to such a nice guy and such a beautiful/rare car.

On that note, let's keep any pontificating on what exactly went down to a minimum and let Steve and the others involved explain what happened, when their ready to talk about it.

Thanks again for the overwhelmingly positive response to my suggested meet-up. It was a blast seeing that many Porsches (especially 993s) gathered up in one spot for such an informal occasion! Here is to the Rennlist community!

Cheers,
-Jeremy

P.S. I'll post some photos once I'm back at home.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:45 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Anybody have any other videos (not crash)? I'd like to hear your exhaust sounds particularly on the turbos but they are all good.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw Halcyon setting up a GoPro camera and mic during the morning. Hopefully, he has some video to share.

One thing we didn't get around to doing was line the different cars with different exhausts up and listen to the symphony of different exhaust setup sounds. That will have to happen another time.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:12 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Assistance

I sent a PM to Steve. If anyone has contact with him and can relay that I had sent it, could you do so. I am sure he does not feel like answering all of the inquiries regarding this horrible event. I hope he's doing alright and I may be able to help regarding the collision investigation.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:20 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Stuff like this and the threads about thefts make me seriously think about sell in mine. I would be sick and heartbroken (as Im sure most of you would be) if anything like this happened to my car. I have never felt like this with any of my previous M3's or even other 911's.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:42 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your wishes and concerns about me and about my beloved Rufus. I won't get into details here about the accident... a blind right hander that looks like a gentle sweeper but becomes a very abrupt and VERY slow right hander.
I was forced into the ER by my family and GF, and I checked out OK. Besides the usual sores and bruises, I have a bruised and swollen ankle... but not broken.
Rufus was taken to Canepas shop, but there is little hope for saving it. It looks like there will be some great salvage parts when its taken apart. But that's for another time. I really am devastated about this loss.
I had a great deal of help from Ted from Los Altos. He took great care of me after I was so shaken up. Everyone on that ride was great, and was driving in a safe and sane manner. Just one stupid misjudgement. Sigh. I'm not sure when I can stop kicking myself. I should consider myself lucky for walking away, but somehow... I'm not feeling it.
Thanks all for your considerate posts. And yes, I'm sobbing a little right now.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:19 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your wishes and concerns about me and about my beloved Rufus. I won't get into details here about the accident... a blind right hander that looks like a gentle sweeper but becomes a very abrupt and VERY slow right hander.
I was forced into the ER by my family and GF, and I checked out OK. Besides the usual sores and bruises, I have a bruised and swollen ankle... but not broken.
Rufus was taken to Canepas shop, but there is little hope for saving it. It looks like there will be some great salvage parts when its taken apart. But that's for another time. I really am devastated about this loss.
I had a great deal of help from Ted from Los Altos. He took great care of me after I was so shaken up. Everyone on that ride was great, and was driving in a safe and sane manner. Just one stupid misjudgement. Sigh. I'm not sure when I can stop kicking myself. I should consider myself lucky for walking away, but somehow... I'm not feeling it.
Glad you're not seriously hurt Steve. Everything else is just stuff.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:28 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Glad you're not seriously hurt Steve. Everything else is just stuff.
Definitely.

Where the car is now will lead to the an excellent resolution whether it's repair or start over with another shell.

(Though in all self-interest, I know where a nice high-miler 4S chassis would welcome all those mechanicals.)
Old 01-04-2015, 03:47 PM
laneskelton
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about the car, Steve.

I'm just glad that all involved walked away without serious injury.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:10 PM
ard
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Steve glad to hear that you're ok. I'm so sorry to hear about your mishap. I admire your constructive attitude. All the best.

Alex
Old 01-04-2015, 04:32 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Hi everyone,
Dang Steve... this is terrible. I loved that car... and it wasn't even mine.
Obviously, GREAT to hear you are relatively OK.

I hope you heal quickly.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:40 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sad to see your Ruf come to a violent though noble end, Steve. I suppose you could say she sacrificed herself so that you could walk away. Glad you're not hurt. Another reminder of how damn well made these cars are.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:28 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve,
Glad I was able to talk to you. That picture was really scary.

You're okay... I'm sure it doesn't feel like it losing RUFUS, ( Heartbreaking even for me as it was the RUF that got my addiction started), but your health is truly the only thing that matters. In that sense, you are lucky, buddy.

Quick Reply: ATTN SF Bay Area RLers: January Meetup TBD