Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 08:30 PM
S98CS
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same question.

For a nice vintage Porsche colour
Mag Silver

That is what FD Motorsport told me when I was buying and I believed them.
Also told me I would like the III's and I believed them.
They are batting 100% with me
I am thinking golden rod next that is easy no colour choice.
Stephen
Old 12-10-2014, 08:32 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 76 Posts

I have III's with cermachrome. I figure the coating will help lower radiated heat, and anything that helps remove heat from the engine bay is a positive for me.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:21 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

III's in Velvet Black. I went with black as a kind of homage to the old Abarth and Stebro exhausts of the '70s. I also got the black wide oval tips.

I don't believe the ceramic coating has anything to do with corrosion protection. It is to reduce radiated heat. My ceramic coated III's came back with the heat shields removed and there have been no issues for two years so far.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:22 PM
SkiDan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fister IIIs with cermachrome. Very happy with the look and durability.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:47 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 405 Posts

I have II's and wide ovals that are coated in velvet black, love them!
Old 12-10-2014, 10:11 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

I had my II's done in cermachrome. I also coated the stock catalytic converter as well!
Old 12-11-2014, 12:34 AM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Ben: I did also. is there a reason to not do the heat exchangers? In didn't but wish I had.

Boman: What great undercarriage look?
Old 12-11-2014, 12:46 AM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

It was easy to get the cat off and send to FD. Never thought about the exchangers to be honest. I wonder if there is a benefit.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:08 AM
GammaChad
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did cermachrome on Stage IIIs... looks great!
Old 12-11-2014, 01:45 AM
CCPcoatings
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ceramic Coating Exhaust tips and Mufflers

Originally Posted by C2sideways
Would It be worth having the ceramic coating done and if so what colour is the coolest (pun and no pun intended,&#128518 to go for ?
From a functionality perspective, ceramic coating the working pipes will reduce radiated temps and offer an attractive looking pipe / part for many years to come that turn various colors of the rainbow. As for color, its mostly subjective with the exception of the bright ceramic vs the satin colored ceramics. The high temp satin ceramics are are going to be rated around 2000F. Whereas the bright ceramic are going to limited to 1100F metal temp which translates to about 1300F - 1700F EGT. Therefore, bright ceramic is NOT a good choice for any turbo related applications.

Also, the "bright" in bright ceramic is a layer of aluminum that will require some polishing for maintenance along the way. So from an "aesthetic perspective" it doesn't make much sense to take a perfectly good pair of stainless or chrome tips and coat them in bright ceramic unless there is an issue with them. Its much easier and idiot proof to polish a pair of SS tips than it is to clean a pair of tips with bright ceramic on them. In this case it makes more sense to go with one of the other colors that will also be somewhat maintenance free. Bright ceramic on mufflers is not as big of a problem since they're not as visible.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:06 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CCPcoatings
From a functionality perspective, ceramic coating the working pipes will reduce radiated temps and offer an attractive looking pipe / part for many years to come that turn various colors of the rainbow. As for color, its mostly subjective with the exception of the bright ceramic vs the satin colored ceramics. The high temp satin ceramics are are going to be rated around 2000F. Whereas the bright ceramic are going to limited to 1100F metal temp which translates to about 1300F - 1700F EGT. Therefore, bright ceramic is NOT a good choice for any turbo related applications.

Also, the "bright" in bright ceramic is a layer of aluminum that will require some polishing for maintenance along the way. So from an "aesthetic perspective" it doesn't make much sense to take a perfectly good pair of stainless or chrome tips and coat them in bright ceramic unless there is an issue with them. Its much easier and idiot proof to polish a pair of SS tips than it is to clean a pair of tips with bright ceramic on them. In this case it makes more sense to go with one of the other colors that will also be somewhat maintenance free. Bright ceramic on mufflers is not as big of a problem since they're not as visible.
What kind of surface temp drop does the coating provide?
Old 12-11-2014, 02:23 AM
CCPcoatings
Track Day

Default Ceramic Coating Exhaust Tips & Mufflers

Originally Posted by nine9six
This depends largely on the cost benefit from said coating. Is the coating applied throughout the muffler; or just on the outside?

OEM cans are 300 series stainless, so corrosion is not a real concern. Perhaps the claim is the ceramic coating keeps the muffler "cooler" or "flows" better?
Is there any test data to back this up?

D&D aftermarket performance motorcycle mufflers have been "selling" the ceramic coating, for going on 20 years now, but their product tubing is mild steel.

If its an appearance factor, I fail to see the point on muffler cans that are hidden; but then again, its not my money at this juncture...A $5 can of heat resistant paint might just do the trick for me.
Typically only the exterior of a muffler is going to be coated. It will certainly reduce radiated temps and will also cool much quicker than the raw substrate. This is VERY beneficial in any SS pipes / components in that they radiate so much heat. Scavenging / flow benefits will be seen in header and turbo components but this inst really applicable in multi-layer muffler applications.

Although most commonly used SS's will not rust away like a mild or aluminized steel, they WILL oxidize and corrode. Case in point, the $10K, fully polished 304SS Ferrari F-430 system below. That said, despite the functional benefits of the ceramic, most coat the components for aesthetic purposes.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:26 AM
CCPcoatings
Track Day

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
What kind of surface temp drop does the coating provide?
There are numerous variables but a very broad rule of thumb is 20% - 30%.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:32 AM
SC2993
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

I have heard Dan's car sing for several years and then was able to be at a sound check of sorts between FD I, II's & III's, Dan's car won hands down! Darrin was at the sound check and told me the benefits of ceramic coating so I ordered my III's in black. The best quality and sound upgrade that can be done to the NA 993!
Old 12-11-2014, 10:51 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Black cans and wide ovals here and for something like $100 I had FD provide and coat all new hardware. Requested "no logo" to keep it simple.

Quick Reply: Fister III ceramic coating