993 Forum 1995-1998

RS uprights: Before/After

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 10:13 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
FWIW, I was actually serious about there being a big difference.
OMG, yes for lowered cars that are at RS height.

It makes me wonder why these weren't standard on our cars in the first place. Would trying to use them with the standard US ride-height cause a bump-steer problem as well?
The steering geometry would be all wrong at US ride height, creating the same bump steer problem.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:48 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Upgraded uprights is one of those mods that you don't realize how much you needed until after you do it. It's noticeable that the car isn't fighting you after the mod.
Much easier to crash curbs at the Glen, too.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:49 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I posted the pics as comparison, to show how the RS bits alleviate the "bumpsteer", that is a result of lowering beyond what the standard units were designed for. As Steve is pointing out, if your car is at standard US height, putting these parts in would likely create a "bumpsteer" affect. From what I researched, and if my understanding is correct. You want the tie-rods to pretty much be parallel with the control arms. If your car is not lowered that much, you most likely wouldn't gain much from these bits.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:12 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do the RS uprights also lower the car? In pictures it looks like the spindle bearings are mounted higher on the RS uprights vs the stockers. This is a mod I badly want... at RS+10 I get a decent amount of bump-steer.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:16 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
Do the RS uprights also lower the car? In pictures it looks like the spindle bearings are mounted higher on the RS uprights vs the stockers. This is a mod I badly want... at RS+10 I get a decent amount of bump-steer.
These have no effect on ride height; just steering geometry.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:24 AM
13BEEZ
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
The steering geometry would be all wrong at US ride height, creating the same bump steer problem.
Is there a specific range (mainly looking for a maximum height) where the RS uprights start to create issues. For example, from what i have read, at RS +10 and below, you will eliminate bump steer with RS uprights. However, if someone was running somewhere between RS and ROW sport, would that be too high for RS uprights? Or is it not until you start to approach US ride height that the RS uprights would have an adverse effect?
Old 12-19-2014, 09:23 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by 13BEEZ
Is there a specific range (mainly looking for a maximum height) where the RS uprights start to create issues. For example, from what i have read, at RS +10 and below, you will eliminate bump steer with RS uprights. However, if someone was running somewhere between RS and ROW sport, would that be too high for RS uprights? Or is it not until you start to approach US ride height that the RS uprights would have an adverse effect?
Bumpsteer can never be eliminated, only minimized.

The RS wheel carriers and outer tie rod ends work best from RS down to Cup/RSR ride heights(134/117 to 95/93mm), the further above that the worse the induced bumpsteer will be.

The standard wheel carriers work best at RoW ride height(164/157 to 134/117mm), the further above and blow that the worse the induced bump steer.

You'll note that the top of RS is the bottom of standard.

Bump can be further optimized by using o/s tie rod ends and actully 'bumping' the suspension
Old 12-19-2014, 09:47 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I did this upgrade on my 964 track car last winter so this summer was the first season driving with the 993 uprights. It's a little more work involved doing this on a 964m but I'm really happy with the result. The front end behaves so much better than before.

Thomas
Old 12-19-2014, 10:32 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
FWIW, I was actually serious about there being a big difference.

It makes me wonder why these weren't standard on our cars in the first place. Would trying to use them with the standard US ride-height cause a bump-steer problem as well?
Probably, going the other way though.

Nice pictures.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
If you kept the lower control arm angle the same in an experiment between a car with and without, the RS hubs would lower the car by 30 mm.

What they really do is allow a better angle of the lower control arm at a low height.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:27 AM
13BEEZ
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
The RS wheel carriers and outer tie rod ends work best from RS down to Cup/RSR ride heights(134/117 to 95/93mm), the further above that the worse the induced bumpsteer will be.

The standard wheel carriers work best at RoW ride height(164/157 to 134/117mm), the further above and blow that the worse the induced bump steer.
Thank you! Exactly what I was wondering.

Quick Reply: RS uprights: Before/After