Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 03:58 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RodKnock
And then there's that.

Stop with the facts already.
Uhh, the fact impact the market, as well.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:52 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
I only give a little nod to current market values. But realistically 993s or over priced, 996s are undervalued. I would say that condition and not collectability is better primary measure of value...or "How high a millage on a 993 would I consider for my lower millage 996. Would I pay a cash premium as part of the trade? Yes, but it would be based on actual car to car comparison, not on a theoretical formula.

Before I bought my 996 I looked at several 993s...some looked like money pits...from too many mods to a collision repair to just ratted out...some were just not colors I could live with...metalic ruby, adventurine green. And of course some were just overpriced.

As the froth settles out of the market and as anti-996 hysteria fades away, I'm sure a 993 owner and I will meet and make a mutually agreeable swap.
Let's deconstruct a bit.

1. "I only give a little nod to current market values." If you're looking to trade, then this isn't only about you. The other party with the 993 needs to have a complementary thought process; my guess is very few do.
2. "993's are overpriced and 996's are undervalued." My question would be "to what is your benchmark?" That's like saying Apple stock at $118 is more expensive than JC Penney at $8; without looking at fundamentals such as EPS, growth rate, etc., price doesn't necessarily correlate to value.
3. "Condition vs. Collectability" as a measure of value. Each model has it's own value spectrum and within that spectrum the better the condition, generally the higher the value. You then mention "mileage" as a variable and again you need to look within the context of each series. There are many high mileage 993's that have been so well preserved (partly due to the high value of the car) and many low mileage 996 that have been trashed (partly due to the low value of the car).
4. "Froth in the market." With all due respect based on your comments on this thread you clearly don't understand the air cooled market in general and the 993 series in specific. If I were you I would have not posted beyond your initial WTT request. At first you came across as naive...but with each successive comment you're heading towards ignorance IMHO. And to educate you a bit more, 993's were not offered in "Metalic Ruby" (two l's in metallic by the way) or Adventurine Green; the colors you are referring to would be Arena Red and Aventurine Green. Like the saying goes, "I'd rather live in the worst house in the best neighborhood and not the best house in the worst neighborhood. Let the forum know how that swap works out for you.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:39 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

As the froth settles out of the market and as anti-996 hysteria fades away, I'm sure a 993 owner and I will meet and make a mutually agreeable swap.

de·lu·sion noun \di-ˈlü-zhən, dē-\
: a belief that is not true : a false idea
: a false idea or belief that is caused by mental illness
Old 11-30-2014, 06:06 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pirahna
de·lu·sion noun \di-ˈlü-zhən, dē-\
: a belief that is not true : a false idea
: a false idea or belief that is caused by mental illness
Old 11-30-2014, 06:19 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

996 resale is still going down.

993 resale is still going up.

To get into a decent running 993 you will want $30k in your jeans.

To get into a decent running 996 you can find them as low as $15k

You will never find a high mileage 993 owner trade straight up for a low mile 996.
The 993 owner could easily sell the 993 within 30 days wheras the 996 owner would need alot longer time to find a buyer and worst case a price reduction.

Typically those with items that are hard to sell often option for "trade" offers...

I have not seen anybody in a jam to trade their clean title 993, dead or alive.

Last edited by tcsracing1; 11-30-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:31 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a sweet 95 LeBaron. As the last of the K cars, it is undervalued in the market. I'll happily trade it for a similar year 993. Once the anti-Iacocca hystera dies down, you all will see what I mean.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:38 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never understood the logic of trading. The barter economy was abandoned thousands of year ago after money was invented because bartering depends on the simultaneous coincidence of wants. How many people in the U.S. who own 1995 993 coupes would rather have a 996? Probably zero. It's like showing up at the farmer's market with a wheelbarrow of potatoes when what you really need is chickens, and hoping someone shows up with chickens who needs potatoes. Probably not going to happen.

The money economy is pretty great. You trade your goods for cash, and then you trade your cash for whatever you want. Very efficient.

What I'm getting at, OP, is that you should sell your 996 for money and then buy whatever 993 you want. Everyone wins.

#capitalism
Old 11-30-2014, 06:58 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^This.

Oh, and FIFY...
Originally Posted by NP993
What I'm getting at, OP, is that you should sell your 996 for money, add some more cash to that, and then buy whatever 993 you want.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:01 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I guess we will just have to wait and see. The only 996s I see in at $15k are beaters. As I said, I've give my car and $10k cash for my old 993 but I haven't seen another I'd make that offer for. The current 993 prices are no different than any other bubble. And to consider them as investments is folly. They are very very very nice cars...but they are not irresistible.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:18 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

I only give a little nod to current market values. But realistically 993s or over priced, 996s are undervalued. I would say that condition and not collectability is better primary measure of value...or "How high a millage on a 993 would I consider for my lower millage 996. Would I pay a cash premium as part of the trade? Yes, but it would be based on actual car to car comparison, not on a theoretical formula.

Before I bought my 996 I looked at several 993s...some looked like money pits...from too many mods to a collision repair to just ratted out...some were just not colors I could live with...metalic ruby, adventurine green. And of course some were just overpriced.

troll2
trōl/Submit
verb
gerund or present participle: trolling
informal
make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.
"if people are obviously trolling then I'll delete your posts and do my best to ban you"
fish by trailing a baited line along behind a boat.
"we trolled for mackerel"
Old 11-30-2014, 07:45 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Well I guess we will just have to wait and see. The only 996s I see in at $15k are beaters. As I said, I've give my car and $10k cash for my old 993 but I haven't seen another I'd make that offer for. The current 993 prices are no different than any other bubble. And to consider them as investments is folly. They are very very very nice cars...but they are not irresistible.
Now, I'm with those making the troll comments. Your comments are fly. Those that didn't buy a house in Calif, in the 90's, and didn't because of the housing bubble-are probably wishing they had by now, market fluctuations aside.

If the 993 bubble pops, your 996 is gonna be worth less than $10k. No matter what, a 993 C2 will trump an equal 996 C2 for the REST OF TIME.

When did the discussion go to investment? We were taking about trading a 996 for a 993.

Sounds like you bought a 996 when you couldn't get a 993, and now you have remorse. As was stated above, focus on selling your car, then plop that cash down with some more, and get the car you seem to want.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:55 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
If the 993 bubble pops, your 996 is gonna be worth less than $10k. No matter what, a 993 C2 will trump an equal 996 C2 for the REST OF TIME.
Agree with this statement.

And there's something about the timeless interior design of all pre-996 models that will never be recaptured with all of today's electronics.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:30 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mpruden
[IMG]I have a sweet 95 LeBaron. As the last of the K cars, it is undervalued in the market. I'll happily trade it for a similar year 993. Once the anti-Iacocca hystera dies down, you all will see what I mean.
That's down right sexy. If that we're the "John Voight edition" then we're talking WB 993 or even Turbo money.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:38 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be fair, he is offering his 996 +Cash
Details can be negotiated

That said, if this shapes into a reasonable deal, I will buy a 996 to see if I can make it happen
I miss every 993 I have owned...
I bought a 7-GT3 and my plan was to snag another 993 and keep it. Forever.
Then things got crazy
Plan fail
Old 11-30-2014, 08:57 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
To be fair, he is offering his 996 +Cash
Details can be negotiated

That said, if this shapes into a reasonable deal, I will buy a 996 to see if I can make it happen
I miss every 993 I have owned...
I bought a 7-GT3 and my plan was to snag another 993 and keep it. Forever.
Then things got crazy
Plan fail
With the way 997 GT3 pricing is going you didn't do to bad.

Quick Reply: Anyone want to trade cars?