993 Forum 1995-1998

Suspension recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 02:59 AM
Will T
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Suspension recommendations

Hi guys, I'm thinking of replacing my '97 TT stock suspension with a set of coil overs. Any recommendations on what set up? I'm not going to tack it, so hope it's not too rough for street use with the lowered height. Also while the suspension is out, any recommendations on what else to replace/update? Thanks!
Old 11-01-2014, 12:13 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

About 5000+ threads on this topic...search is your friend!

I just put on Bilstein PSS10's, fantastic option. At the same time I did Walrod front control arm bushings, front ball joints, tie rods, and M030 ARB's. Even before the alignment it was a massive improvement in ride and handling. After the alignment (with kinematic toe adjustment) by a competent Porsche mechanic, it was even better.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:45 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

+2 on PSS10's for street use.

What is the mileage on the car? At some point the bushings become worn and I would replace, either through Elephant Racing, or get new arms from Porsche if you think the spherical ends are also getting old.
You would want to look at new rubber elsewhere, motor mounts etc.

If you are going towards RS height you will want to get the RS wheel carrier as well, although there may be a back order on these right now.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:00 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I was able to get all of this from Sunset for just about 1300 bucks b4 shipping. No waiting, other than they only had one tie-rod so they ordered one. About a week and it was at my door. Pinned em and set bearings. Just need to get it thrown in after next weekend.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  153.0 KB
Old 11-02-2014, 10:21 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Here are your spring options and relative chassis heights. If you go below Lowered ROW height you may have trouble achieving the OE alignment so below that point you will encounter the need for parts changing beyond the coilovers.

Hope this helps,
Andy :-)
Attached Images
Old 11-02-2014, 07:34 PM
Will T
Advanced

Originally Posted by il pirata

What is the mileage on the car? At some point the bushings become worn and I would replace, either through Elephant Racing, or get new arms from Porsche if you think the spherical ends are also getting old.

If you are going towards RS height you will want to get the RS wheel carrier as well, although there may be a back order on these right now.
It has 31k miles. I was thinking about the PSS10s as well. Probably will get the bushings replaced at the same time. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Will T
Advanced

Originally Posted by il pirata

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
I was able to get all of this from Sunset for just about 1300 bucks b4 shipping. No waiting, other than they only had one tie-rod so they ordered one. About a week and it was at my door. Pinned em and set bearings. Just need to get it thrown in after next weekend.Attachment 882895
Any recommendation as to when's a good time to replace the above? I'm sure both age and mileage play a role. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2014, 07:43 PM
Will T
Advanced

Originally Posted by pp000830
Here are your spring options and relative chassis heights. If you go below Lowered ROW height you may have trouble achieving the OE alignment so below that point you will encounter the need for parts changing beyond the coilovers.

Hope this helps,
Andy :-)
Awesome. I'm thinking about just lowering it a bit to get the European height and switch out the old stock units for a modern set of coil overs. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Suspension recommendations