Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi guys.....I just received a lot of parts and I have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 01:49 AM
D1 Guy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi guys.....I just received a lot of parts and I have a few questions.

Hello everyone. So far, I have had my 993 C4S for a whopping 3 weeks tomorrow. I ordered a set of Continental DW tires and while my wheels were off, I refinished all of the turbo look wheels and spruced up the calipers. I received my third shipment of parts today. Here is what I have so far....

4 belts, 2 oem oil filters, 12 Porsche spark plugs, 12 oem plug wires, 2 distributer caps, 2 distributer rotors, pollen filter, BMC filter, fabspeed maxflo intake lid, 2 hood shocks, 2 bonnet shocks, SSK rod oem (with 964 part number :/ ), 2 oem headlight lenses, Tore LED kit, Tore HID kit, oem rear center light with Euro side lights, turbo S ducts, one spare key, one spare key head, rear fog light mod with oem switch, oem gas cap, oem gas flap, oem washer fluid cap, and lastly....... Mark Levinson Speakers (from LS460).

Yes, I have a long road of installing parts ahead of me this weekend ha ha. As with everyone else, I am wanting to do some suspension mods and an exhaust modification. I am an experienced driver, but would like a suspension that is still comfortable for daily driving and not just for the track. Right now, Im considering some bilsteins and just some lowering springs since I currently have stock shocks/springs. I will later do a fully adjustable setup like the KWs or JRZs.

What spring/shock combo do you recommend?

I am wanting to go with the Fister II or III setup but I am currently undecided. I also have a spare set of mufflers off my 996 C4S laying here. What is the difference in the 993 exhaust and the 996 exhaust? They look a lot alike and was wondering if I could send in these 996s to Fister, so I avoid downtime of my 993.

I am also going to go with the RS engine mounts and my sway bar bushings.....along with a lot of other bushings are starting to dry rot underneath. Who do you recommend ordering the engine mounts and bushings from? Is there a polyurethane kit out there that might be better than the factory rubbers? Thanks very much in advance. Here are a few pics before and after on my rear tail light installation. In my opinion, it really made a difference.

Notice the large center light crack

After

Calipers needed some attention, but after a little bit of careful tape and paint work, I think they turned out well.

I really appreciate your opinions, so I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:50 AM
MartinC2S
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just curious, what's the story with the speakers?
Old 10-30-2014, 07:01 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you already have Golden Rod? I think it's better money spent than SSK.
Might want to get xpel or 3m lens covers to keep your new lens protected.
If money no object how about sport cats + fister II - that's my favorite sounding 993.
How about 2S style split grill?

Edit: I have H&R shocks and spring and it's a good set up IMO. If you are doing suspension, consider refreshing bushings while you are there. Do you have M220 option? If not, might want to add better sabilizer bars (M030 or adjustable RS).

Last edited by NYC993; 10-30-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:02 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
Do you already have Golden Rod? I think it's better money spent than SSK.
Might want to get xpel or 3m lens covers to keep your new lens protected.
If money no object how about sport cats + fister II - that's my favorite sounding 993.
How about 2S style split grill?

Edit: I have H&R shocks and spring and it's a good set up IMO. If you are doing suspension, consider refreshing bushings while you are there. Do you have M220 option? If not, might want to add better sabilizer bars (M220 or adjustable RS).
What is M220? I have never heard of this option code.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:40 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Originally Posted by pirahna
What is M220? I have never heard of this option code.
Sorry, M030, don't know where I got 220 from
EDIT: M220 is the LSD option on RWD, that's where I got it from.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:47 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 202 Posts

220 is the code for LSD.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:08 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the HR Street Performance struts and springs kit. I also replaced many of the bushings with Elephant racing bushings. It wasn't cheap, but wow is it dialed in now. My 993 came with the M030 sport package so I didn't need to upgrade my sway-bars.

I recommend taking a look at this thread that I started when I was debating over various suspension upgrade options, Bill V. provides some great insight (as usual):

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-question.html

One more question for you, has the steering rack been replaced or rebuilt by a prior owner? If not I'd plan on needing to have that done sooner than later. Since it will require having the alignment done, you might want to get it sorted out while doing your suspension work. It is an expensive additional "while you're in there" but it is worth it.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

P.S. You'll find the constraints of retrofitting the stereo system in a 993 are rather unique. Good luck adapting the Lexus speakers to worth for you. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:23 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
One more question for you, has the steering rack been replaced or rebuilt by a prior owner? If not I'd plan on needing to have that done sooner than later. Since it will require having the alignment done, you might want to get it sorted out while doing your suspension work. It is an expensive additional "while you're in there" but it is worth it.
If it's not leaking why replace with a questionable rebuilt unit or spend 2-3k on Porsche one when it's not needed.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:14 PM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also curious if you have golden rod already?

Off topic but where did you get the new stickers for your brake calipers?
Old 10-30-2014, 06:18 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 408 Posts

Hey D1,

Nice job on the center tail light replacement and calipers. Quite a shopping list - your enthusiasm is infectious!

There are lots of great threads on 993 suspension options. I'm riding an Uwe Gemballa set up with Koni adjustables and HR's set about 3/4" below ROW. I was concerned it may be too tight, or too low, but the ride is phenomenal!

I couldn't be more pleased with the Fister III's, and suggest you start with them. Darin and the guys at FB will swap it out for the II's if you want, but my bet is you will never look back! I don't think the 996's will fit, but Darin offers an exchange program if you like. You just need to determine if you're running with the Gillet or Bischoff cans. The Gillets are a little tougher to source, but you can switch to Bischoff cans with the help of some donuts if need be. You may also want to consider keeping your stock cans. Well worth the $300 to $400 in my estimation to preserve the original cans.

What's next? How about a three spoke steering wheel with leather air bag?

Good luck with the projects and keep us posted!

Jim
Old 10-30-2014, 06:21 PM
FlyingDutchman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What caps & rotors did you but and where? Arthur
Old 10-30-2014, 06:22 PM
FlyingDutchman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Btw: i have koni FSD & M033 ROW. Quite happy.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:25 PM
D1 Guy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an accident and totaled my 08 ls460 back in feb of 2012. I kept the speakers and installed them in my 996 c4s. I love them so I kept them when I sold my 996. Sooo the radio setup is a lot different than a 996? There really wasn't anything crazy different or abnormal swapping it out.

I bought oem Porsche caps, rotors, plugs, and plug wires for over 1k lol.

Last edited by D1 Guy; 10-31-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:37 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Originally Posted by NYC993
If it's not leaking why replace with a questionable rebuilt unit or spend 2-3k on Porsche one when it's not needed.
Definitely don't replace it if it ain't broken, but these seem to have about a 20-year lifespan so I suggest giving it a thorough inspection at the least if you're going in there to mess with suspension bits. Check the tie-rods and tie-rod boots too.

Quick Reply: Hi guys.....I just received a lot of parts and I have a few questions.