993 Forum 1995-1998

Suspensions change and alignment help

Old 10-29-2014, 09:27 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
It seems the setting is the same for all suspension heights from US at the High end to ROW lowered at the low end. From reading, my understanding is that there is a preferred value for both sides and it is important part to get both sides at the same value. Seeing that later 911 no longer have the kinematic adjustment but do share the same suspention design I wonder how often it really needs to be adjusted once set properly.
The issue is that the eccentric adjusters are not stable

Note the witness marks on the KT adjuster after only a few track days, the handling had deteriorated to the point that the car was not derivable at speed

the usual dealer KT tools are fine for normal height cars but the motorsports tool is need for cars below RS height

You can also get an idea about what the KT adjustment is by looking the the fore and aft position of the wheel in the wheel well, wheel forward, lots of KT, wheel back less KT
Old 10-29-2014, 09:44 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Very interesting, I didn't know this.
Now I understand why it was so hard to loosen the adjustment on my car. I had to use an open end box wrench and a hydraulic jack to push on its end to break it free.

In light of your posting would it make sense to always mark the position of the adjustment as you did to monitor slippage and reset if slippage is noticed?
Old 10-29-2014, 12:43 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
The issue is that the eccentric adjusters are not stable

Note the witness marks on the KT adjuster after only a few track days, the handling had deteriorated to the point that the car was not derivable at speed

the usual dealer KT tools are fine for normal height cars but the motorsports tool is need for cars below RS height

You can also get an idea about what the KT adjustment is by looking the the fore and aft position of the wheel in the wheel well, wheel forward, lots of KT, wheel back less KT

The other side of this is, if the car is too low you will lose the amount of adjustability to obtain the correct setting for your car. That's where the rear adj. control arms (along with KT locks) come into necessity.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:00 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
The other side of this is, if the car is too low you will lose the amount of adjustability to obtain the correct setting for your car. That's where the rear adj. control arms (along with KT locks) come into necessity.
Those are RS adjusters which provide a little more adjustability, I do use the more adjustable and stable Rennline links now though
Old 10-29-2014, 03:54 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
the handling had deteriorated to the point that the car was not derivable at speed
And isn't an ill set 993 about the worst thing you can have, 911 wise? One time I went the wrong way, and it was over 2 sec/lap. Of course I blamed the tires at first.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:44 PM
ms9811
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension done!

We installed my M029 springs and FSDs last weekend. Pictures to follow in later post.

I've only driven it a bit, but I think it was the right move. The OEM monroes had seemed ok to me other than some oscillation in the front going over dips in sweeping turns, but since this is my first Porsche I had nothing to compare it to. Well,when we took the monroes off, here is what we found:

Front: Both sides could be easily compressed by hand. One would slowly raise itself back, the other side would take 10 minutes to do so. Uneven rebound control would certainly make the front oscillate over dips in turns.

Rears: Both had about an inch or two of undamped movement when you pushed on them quickly by hand and then offered little resistance to being compressed. They also made clicking/grinding noises when moving.

The M029s gave me the ride height/stance I wanted. I am at 152MM front (which I will adjust after a few hundred miles of settling) and 146 rear. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but for my taste and driving style I don't want to go any lower.

My only problem is I can't seem to get the camber settings where I need them. I am at 1.8 neg in back and 1.5 neg in front, and I want to have the camber per the specs which is MUCH less negative. My toe is about oK. I expect to go to a Porsche expert who has the right tools for the setup I want, which is the most tire friendly setup - the car handles fine without the help of a bunch of negative camber and I don't plan on doing any serious tracking of the car.

In the meantime, how does one adjust front and rear camber?

Moral of the story for all other newbies with OEM dampers: If you even THINK your dampers are shot, they are.

Thank you to all who gave advice and encouragement.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:00 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

The factory Kinematic adjustment gauge/tool is just a protractor bubble level with number markings on it . Much like a tilt gauge on a sail boat. I bet one could get a similar gauge or even an electronic tilt gauge on eBay measure their current settings across the lower arm that the factory tool is hung off of, the one with the clip on plastic shield on it, and the when doing the alignment at a new height just set the kinematic setting so the gauge reads the same value.

What make the factory gauge special is not its design, just that no one knows how its scale is calibrated. If you take known good values off a car that is properly aligned with a standard degree tilt gauge I would think one would have all they need to set the value going forward.

Andy.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:56 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I didn't come close to needing a spring compressor when I did mine.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:36 PM
ms9811
Intermediate

I may have been too verbose in my initial post about completing my suspension work, so here is the remaining question/issue and one new one:

"My only problem is I can't seem to get the camber settings where I need them. I am at 1.8 neg in back and 1.5 neg in front, and I want to have the camber per the specs which is MUCH less negative. My toe is about oK. I expect to go to a Porsche expert who has the right tools for the setup I want, which is the most tire friendly setup - the car handles fine without the help of a bunch of negative camber and I don't plan on doing any serious tracking of the car. In the meantime, how does one adjust front and rear camber?"

While I'm at it, I've noticed that the creaking noise I get when going (even slowly) over speed bumps or even speed humps is still there. It actually seems worse when I hit the bump/hump with both tires at the same time as opposed to when I manage to keep one side from hitting the bump/hump. It is louder when going over the front than the rear, but it is clear that the sound is coming from the end of the car that is hitting the bump/hump. There are no issues relating to ground clearance, bottoming out the suspension, tire rub, etc. It is clearly connected to the up and down motion of the car. I've read about lubricating sway bar end links. Is this the answer and, if so, what regularly available lubes will do the job?

Thanks again, all!
Old 12-21-2014, 03:51 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

I am at just about complete monoball and also have solid subframe mounts. Some "clicking" sounds which are normal with sphericals. You can try this as it's a "dry film" type lube and won't gunk up too much.
Just hit everything you think might bind at all. Won't hurt anything
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  185.6 KB
Old 12-21-2014, 04:18 PM
ms9811
Intermediate

I am at just about complete monoball and also have solid subframe mounts. Some "clicking" sounds which are normal with sphericals. You can try this as it's a "dry film" type lube and won't gunk up too much.
Just hit everything you think might bind at all. Won't hurt anything
Attachment 896275
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if it matters, but everything other than my new struts and springs are stock and the noise is not a clicking, it is a definite "creaking" noise when going up and down.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:47 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Doesn't matter. Just spray pretty much everything that is a possibilty of your creaking. It won't hurt anything. I just use it periodically on my sphericals. Hit the spring hats, any bushings, and anything you can think of where rubbing may occur. Good luck. Take care
Old 12-21-2014, 04:54 PM
ms9811
Intermediate

Doesn't matter. Just spray pretty much everything that is a possibilty of your creaking. It won't hurt anything. I just use it periodically on my sphericals. Hit the spring hats, any bushings, and anything you can think of where rubbing may occur. Good luck. Take care
Will do. Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:35 AM
Dry sump
Track Day

Have a look on Mike's excellent p-car web site, he's has a section there that includes the factory technical service bulletins (http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...C_Parts_Guides). Included there is one that covers the specific problem you're having.

I had the same issue on my 97 C2, mine was especially noticable on cold mornings or after the car hadn't been used for a period of time. Turned on to be dried out anti roll bar bushes and solved by the application of some vaseline lube (Petroleum Jelly lube), as recomended by Porsche. Very cheap fix and has now been quite for at l;east 5 years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspensions change and alignment help