993 Forum 1995-1998

Door closing issue on my targa

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 02:19 PM
FlyingDutchman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Door closing issue on my targa

Frequently when i close my doors on my targa, i have to smack it quite hard to get it closed, sometimes it will take me 3 tries before it closes fully, anyone else has this problem?
Old 10-24-2014, 02:36 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by TargaTuur69
Frequently when i close my doors on my targa, i have to smack it quite hard to get it closed, sometimes it will take me 3 tries before it closes fully, anyone else has this problem?
Might want to hit the gym a little more often.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:44 PM
quacktoduck
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont have that issue but have your check strap checked. that may be causing it.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:52 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

My Targa's doors takes just a bit more force than the coupes I've seen. I've done a bit of research into the cause, but haven't found a solution. I think it's operating as designed.

In my car, if I crack a window or open the roof, both doors are super easy to close. Just as easy as a coupe if not easier. This leads me to believe that the car has a hard time venting the high quantity of air being pushed into the car by the closing door.

Giving the car a bit more "venting" by opening the wind deflector, roof, or cracking a window seems to do the job. In fact, when I shut my door with the roof open, I always shut it way too hard.

I've also checked the the internal vents working to some extent. You can try this with a helper. Close everything up tight, open a door, but a hand under the car, just in front of the front wheel well. Have a friend shut the door fast. You'll feel a blast of air as the door closes. This is the air going from the vents near the rear quarter windows, through the body and out the front of the car as designed.

Based on my research, this means that the vents are doing their job. I've also adjusted the window height in the doors. This had no effect. You want the windows to make a good seal. If you lower to the point of allowing the air pressure to escape, you'll get leaks.

I think the Targas (and likely cabs) have a slightly different venting system from the coupes. My theory (totally untested) is that Porsche designed a venting system for the cab. When they reused it for the Targa, the better seals and/or less give in materials, caused it to be inadequate.

Does the door become super easy to close if you open the wind deflector?
Old 10-24-2014, 05:27 PM
grappamon
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is going to sound crazy, and it may not be the root cause… but check your suspension bushings. The same thing happened to my Ferrari 328 and my dad’s BMW 635csi. Both car’s passenger door was difficult to close, like the door was sagging, hinges on both were perfect. Went on for years until I had the suspension bushings replaced and …whoa the door closes. I didn’t realize that worn bushings would have that much effect on the chassis alignment.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:47 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts

I noticed mine was not closing completely last year and needed more force to get it closed. I used some kind of lube on the latch on the door (can't remember now what it was but it was either lithium grease or something I could just spray on the latch) and it loosened the latch right up and has worked great since. Try that first.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:53 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
Old 10-24-2014, 06:08 PM
quacktoduck
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ooh the suspension bushing is a good place too. i once used the lift in my garage and put the pad under the suspension under the fender and it was flexing enough that the door would close difficult.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:28 PM
FlyingDutchman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pirahna
Smart .ss -
Old 10-24-2014, 07:30 PM
FlyingDutchman
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone, going to try/research your suggestions.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:59 AM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i also have the same issue and agree you gotta give a lil more effort to close the door on a targa than a coupe. my problem was the driver door seal would come loose especially at the top where the window would touch. my mechanic put a black silicone sealer to the seal to keep it secured and no more problems.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:50 AM
euge
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I would check the check strap. Do you know if it's been repaired?
Old 10-25-2014, 03:19 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I doubt if its the check strap nor the suspension bushings (really?) because I bet the doors close fine if the windows are slightly lowered - the Targa's are just more air tight. Have you tried that as an experiment (as mpruden mentions)?

If the roof is cracked open a bit, or the door windows are down a bit, the doors on my old car closed easily. This is based on my 10 years of Targa ownership, I just closed the last open door a bit more firmly and it was all good. The venting is different between the coupe and the Targa for sure.

There are a few alignment points with how much pressure the window for instance is putting against the rubber/cloth seal that runs on the upper rear part of the opening - there are set screws behind it that allow you to push the seal in or out to adjust the seal. The same goes for the top seal, but it's more difficult since you need to adjust the window angle.

But try the open window trick first, that will determine if its the door mechanism OR the air-tightness of the body.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-25-2014, 01:32 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Door or striker alignment; or clean and lithium grease lube on the latching mechanism.

Door check strap has no bearing on the door closing and latching.

Quick Reply: Door closing issue on my targa