993 Forum 1995-1998

Gas pedal adjusting

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 02:29 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gas pedal adjusting

Searched and found plenty on clutch pedal but not gas pedal.

Where is the optimum position of the gas pedal so when the pedal is fully depressed and against the stop the throttle is wide open; but with foot off the engine is idling normally?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:48 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by x50type
Where is the optimum position of the gas pedal so when the pedal is fully depressed and against the stop the throttle is wide open; but with foot off the engine is idling normally?
Not sure what you mean, it sounds like you answered your own question. Adjust it so you hit the stops when its floored, but the cable has fully released the butterfly valve when the foot is off. Both are important and should be tested.

I have checked several over the years and they rarely need adjustment, even if the owners are convinced the valve is not fully open when its floored...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-24-2014, 06:44 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Very easy way to check,
I used my Durametric OBD and selected the throttle position sensor. At wide open I believe it's supposed to show 4.5V.
I then adjusted the throttle cable until I reached that level. For some reason, I didn't have enough travel to max so I filed down the plastic stop a bit until I got it right.
Happy wrenching,
Ed
Old 10-24-2014, 10:29 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was trying to adjust the gas pedal angle a bit so it was less upright than factory original setting - say from 75 degrees down to 60 degrees [I'm guessing the angles].
Adjusting the screwed adjuster rod behind the pedal to reduce the pedal angle brings it nearer the stop - but reduces the max throttle opening if done to excess.
Going the other way so the screwed rod is max length and the pedal is near[er] vertical gives more pedal travel and max throttle opening, however with the pedal hard against the stop I can still open the throttle by hand quite a bit.
My intention was WOT with the pedal at 60 degrees [say], anyway less then original.
Can't find anything about this in the workshop manual. Plenty about the clutch pedal, nothing about the gas pedal.

Quick Reply: Gas pedal adjusting