Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

C4 Front Drive Shaft CV Joint Discovery

Old 10-22-2014, 01:41 PM
DCD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Front Drive Shaft CV Joint Discovery

Thought I'd share a picture of what my drive shaft looks like after I discovered that one of the inner boot clamps was missing.
As you can see there is a bit of pitting on the shaft and the paint is missing as well. I couldn't tell if the CV joint actually rides over this area of the shaft, can anyone confirm if this is so?
The car is a 1995 993 Carrera 4.
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2014, 02:21 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

No it doesn't move on that portion on the shaft but my gut is that one is too far gone just order a new one. Was the boot missing too? You are so close, it would be interesting if you can pop off that cover clean it all up and post some pictures of the ***** and the races. I worked with the shaft in boxes that I could easily throw away because of the mess and be careful not to drop anything as it comes apart -it's easy to do - or work on the floor.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:40 PM
DCD
Intermediate

JB 911,

No, I cut the boot off to have a proper look. I will probably be taking this completely apart and will post the resulting pictures of the CV joint components.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:16 PM
ReinerFink
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have these used, PM me if you are interested.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:37 PM
DCD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ReinerFink
I have these used, PM me if you are interested.
I have PM'd you.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:38 PM
DCD
Intermediate

Default More damage after the grease is wiped away

Originally Posted by JB 911
No it doesn't move on that portion on the shaft but my gut is that one is too far gone just order a new one. Was the boot missing too? You are so close, it would be interesting if you can pop off that cover clean it all up and post some pictures of the ***** and the races. I worked with the shaft in boxes that I could easily throw away because of the mess and be careful not to drop anything as it comes apart -it's easy to do - or work on the floor.
Finally, had some time to take the CV joint apart and found lots more damage, the ***** have surface defects, the cage has damage as well as the race - everything that the ***** would contact is damaged.

So, new CV joint and drive-shaft, I imagine the other side and the rear shafts all probably need a peek too!
Luckily, I have a line on a good set from another Rennlister.
Attached Images       
Old 11-07-2014, 04:51 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Yep, those rascals are toast! Lots of corrosion on the *****, which translates into galling of the cages...Do you or a PO happen to live by the ocean?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 Front Drive Shaft CV Joint Discovery