Sponsored by: DashLynx

Considering upgrading to sport cats on 1997 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 05:51 PM
kapflaco
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering upgrading to sport cats on 1997 Cab

I am considering upgrading to sport cats and am looking for advice / recommendations on where to buy from: Fabspeed, Fister (not listed on their website as a product they sell), FVD, etc. Any downside to using with my stock motorsound mufflers on a cab? Are there CEL issues to deal with on OBDII cars?

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2014, 09:27 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I did this exact upgrade on my '98 Cab. I bought the FDM 200 Cell Sport Cats used off another RL'er. I have Motorsoud on my car. I was worried a bit about it being too loud in an open car, but it is fantastic. It sounds great and it will also take about 25 lbs and a ton of heat off the back of the car. From a performance standpoint, it feels like the Cat moved the torque up the RPM range a bit, especially at 4k+.

I did actually throw a CEL after I installed them, but it turned out it was a bad cat on one side. Darin sent me another one gratis (how's that for customer service!) and all has been well since then.

Just last week I re-installed my ECU after having Steve Weiner do a re-flash for me. Now I think that is a great pairing with the Cat - smoother idle, bump in torque/HP, and NO Immobilizer!

The Cat is still available from FD as far as I know, just email Darin and ask. I don't think they've ever had it on thier website.

It's a pricey way to go vs. going with Stage II/III mufflers, but I'm really pleased with it. I've heard some clips of Stage II/OEM Cat and it sounds exactly like my MS/Sport Cat.

I'm in Richmond so you're more than welcome to check my car out if you're in the area!
Old 10-20-2014, 11:18 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I love my FD sport cats!
Old 10-20-2014, 04:38 PM
Neun 11
Instructor

I had a Fabspeed sport cat on my '97 C4S (may be selling it, along with TechArt mufflers, depending on whether I can find another 993 or not) and it made an amazing difference. It seemed to open up the whole car and allow it to breathe easier. Higher HP, lighter weight, cool sound--what's not to like? When we did the install, I got a CEL. Turns out one of the O2 sensors was bad, probably damaged during the install. Changed the 02 sensor and was good to go.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:24 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VA993Dreamer
I did this exact upgrade on my '98 Cab. I bought the FDM 200 Cell Sport Cats used off another RL'er. I have Motorsoud on my car. I was worried a bit about it being too loud in an open car, but it is fantastic. It sounds great and it will also take about 25 lbs and a ton of heat off the back of the car. From a performance standpoint, it feels like the Cat moved the torque up the RPM range a bit, especially at 4k+.

I did actually throw a CEL after I installed them, but it turned out it was a bad cat on one side. Darin sent me another one gratis (how's that for customer service!) and all has been well since then.

Just last week I re-installed my ECU after having Steve Weiner do a re-flash for me. Now I think that is a great pairing with the Cat - smoother idle, bump in torque/HP, and NO Immobilizer!

The Cat is still available from FD as far as I know, just email Darin and ask. I don't think they've ever had it on thier website.

It's a pricey way to go vs. going with Stage II/III mufflers, but I'm really pleased with it. I've heard some clips of Stage II/OEM Cat and it sounds exactly like my MS/Sport Cat.

I'm in Richmond so you're more than welcome to check my car out if you're in the area!
Ditto on everything Chris said here except I got the fabspeed version and had a different chip instead of ecu change.

Happy with the sound. FYI I started with the bypass tubes but the rich exhaust (when combined with the chip) was a bit much if I had my family in the car. I'm very happy with the sport cats combined my Motorsport system. FD is well known and so is Fabspeed. Not sure of any comparisons.
I need to park next to Chris one day to compare sound.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:45 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hkspwrsche
Ditto on everything Chris said here except I got the fabspeed version and had a different chip instead of ecu change.

Happy with the sound. FYI I started with the bypass tubes but the rich exhaust (when combined with the chip) was a bit much if I had my family in the car. I'm very happy with the sport cats combined my Motorsport system. FD is well known and so is Fabspeed. Not sure of any comparisons.
I need to park next to Chris one day to compare sound.
Good idea Harold...maybe we can get some sound clips and post them so others can hear the difference in the setups.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:41 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Love to Hear Them ! Bring It On !!
Old 10-22-2014, 10:57 AM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Darin is a great guy, buy a set of the Fister sport cats. I had them with a set of Fister stage 2 cans and it sounded great!
Old 10-22-2014, 04:36 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you have FD sport cats with the stock exhaust?
Old 10-22-2014, 04:38 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it is made for the stock exhaust
Old 10-22-2014, 07:47 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Default Sport Cat

Yes it works with the stock exhaust,just be sure you specify whether you have Bischoff or Gillet mufflers as the flanges are different. It should be stamped in the muffler.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:06 AM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

i was considering going sport cats, too, but doesn't that affect smog? since i'm in ca, worse state for smog, i gotta think twice before doing so unless i remove each time i go for a smog test.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:34 PM
Neun 11
Instructor

We have emissions testing here, too, although its probably not as restrictive as yours. Mine passed OK after I changed that one O2 sensor.

Quick Reply: Considering upgrading to sport cats on 1997 Cab