993 Forum 1995-1998

Effects of oil overfill

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 02:42 PM
euge
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Effects of oil overfill

Does anyone know where in the upper part of the motor oil accumulates as a result of an overfill? I noticed oil around ignition wires holder on top of the engine and trying to figure out where did it come from...

At some point the car was overfilled with oil and i had to drain about a quart and a half to bring it to the normal level. But now I need to clean up so it doesn't look like an oil leak of some sorts...

Someone, I don't remember who, said that oil can get into the mail manifold and accumulate in the throttle body...
Old 10-13-2014, 02:57 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Excess oil gets pushed into the airbox and intake manifold; neither of which is good at all. The engine as well as the catalytic converter really suffers for it.

I would make an effort to clean this all up, given the degree of the overfill, even if you need to remove and flush the intake manifold and throttle.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:49 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Read through this thread. You probably can fix the seals to help some of the oil leakage on the top of the engine, but not over filling is the first line of defense (in the future...)
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-manifold.html
Old 10-14-2014, 01:54 AM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've overfilled mine, too, due to lack of mechanical experience and sheer ignorance. luckly, it wasn't near the amount you mentioned here. i was able to get a few shop rags, clear it up and it shined due to the oil. interestingly, i didn't have any smoke or other evidence of my mistake - thank goodness!
Old 10-14-2014, 09:23 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by euge
I noticed oil around ignition wires holder on top of the engine
Seems to me this is not the result of an overfill. Someone probably just spilled a little oil on the engine when filling it or some lubricant was applied to something external to the engine that made the area seem oily.

Conceivably but highly unlikely some oily crank case ventilation blow-by fumes got up there but if this was the case the source of the fumes, as in a loose hose or something else near by, would be very obvious.

Andy
Old 10-14-2014, 12:47 PM
euge
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess i wasn't specific enough. The car is pre-Varioram.

Quick Reply: Effects of oil overfill