Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Need some help 993 or 964 or 3.2. Long with pics!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 03:42 AM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Youyou
I agree. Seller is definitely important!
993 owner is a fellow RLer. Good luck with the PPI on Tuesday. This cab sounds soooooooooo good!
Old 10-13-2014, 09:22 AM
Youyou
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boman993
993 owner is a fellow RLer. Good luck with the PPI on Tuesday. This cab sounds soooooooooo good!
Seems like a stand up honest guy!
Old 10-13-2014, 03:01 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

The 964 combines the best qualities of the old school 3.2 and the 993. That particular 964 Targa is a keeper and has my vote. If you've never driven one, well, there's a reason why the 964 is appreciating into 993 territory.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:20 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you driven a 3.2 or the pre-964 911? If not, drive one. You will either like it or hate it.

I test drove a well kept 80s 911 while 911 hunting. Not sure if others would agree, but I definitely HATED it. The pre-G50 transmission suck, the brakes feel like wooden (seriously feel like two pieces of wood clamping down on the discs trying to stop the car), and I don't like the manual steering rack.

The 964 and 993 are VERY different cars than the earlier 911s.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:33 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

The 993 sounds like a RL enthusiast-owned car, with some of the typical well regarded regarded mods from FD. If it checks out, sounds like a win.

I've had a targa - and the 3.2 roof mechanism is not unlike that of the 964. Definitely an acquired taste. Especially if you like squeaks, drips and rattles...

Personally, it would never occur to me to buy a car from a dealer like the outfit in NY. Not a comment on them, just would prefer to speak the P.O. and get a sense for maintenance, care and keeping (or lack thereof).

If you get the 993, let me know - I want to hear the stage 3 mufflers!

Best,

Matt
Old 10-13-2014, 06:22 PM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

i like all three.

3.2s are awesome and so raw with lil technology.

i like the 964s for their zippy engines. a big jump in power from the 3.2s

i favor the 993 most. raw like the 3.2, zippy like the 964 and a bit more of everything else to make it a 993. it does have some technology and not so simple like the 3.2

i recommend driving each one and see which one is best for you.

i'm also a coupe guy. the 3.2 and 964 targas are great with their removable tops rather than pseudo power sunroof of the 993.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

All are great cars in their own right, yet very different as well.

I had an SC Targa, loved it. but over time, the additional air noise and squeaky top kind of got annoying, to me, so I decided it was time for a coupe. Targa tops are also expensive to fix if they need to be.

None are bad cars. I think resell is more dependent on how YOU care for the car while it is in your possession. In the meantime, while it is yours, pick the one you like the best, and take good care of it while you own it.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:11 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Well I didn't realize me and my car were being debated on the 993 board

YouYou decided he really wanted a coupe so we didnt quite get to the PPI stage

I appreciate some of the supportive comments re my ownership of the car. I have been very honest with any potential buyer on her minor issues (trunk struts etc) but the car is in solid shape - have just not found the right buyer yet.

I have another gentleman interested but if that doesn't hit then I will just store it for the winter and either keep it or relist it next year for $42k
Old 10-20-2014, 08:32 PM
beans88xtc
Track Day

Hey guys Im new to rennlist and was browsing. it just so happened that the 964's from Luxsport in pics above are what set me in motion to buying my first 911. the very first car is a cab black/chestnut int. and its definately not one you want. I wont bad talk lux because the guys there were extremely nice and helpful. but I pulled trigger on a PPI for that car and was sorely disapointed. I came back to look at the targa you also have in the pic. very nice but Im werry. after the first PPI i explained that im not accusing them of selling bad cars but for them to point me in the direction of a car that will look good in the PPI. they pointed at two other cars in their inventory(not that targa) even tho i was looking at that one. so it said to me there are issues they kno about but didnt want to discuss.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:14 PM
Zeichen 282
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by beans88xtc
Hey guys Im new to rennlist and was browsing. it just so happened that the 964's from Luxsport in pics above are what set me in motion to buying my first 911. the very first car is a cab black/chestnut int. and its definately not one you want. I wont bad talk lux because the guys there were extremely nice and helpful. but I pulled trigger on a PPI for that car and was sorely disapointed. I came back to look at the targa you also have in the pic. very nice but Im werry. after the first PPI i explained that im not accusing them of selling bad cars but for them to point me in the direction of a car that will look good in the PPI. they pointed at two other cars in their inventory(not that targa) even tho i was looking at that one. so it said to me there are issues they kno about but didnt want to discuss.
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. I have no first hand knowledge of Luxsport but their actions after the PPI failed do not exactly inspire confidence. I would consider looking elsewhere. Would you mind sharing what it was the PPI brought to light?

I'm sure the community would appreciate it, as well as maybe spare other searchers the expense and/or disappointment. I bought my 993 from Holt in West Chester, PA. Tim Holt has a good reputation as a dealer that's been in the air cooled 911 market for a very long time, his prices are at the upper end of the spectrum but the cars are usually very solid.

Good luck with your search!
Old 10-21-2014, 02:16 AM
Youyou
Instructor

Originally Posted by vern1
Well I didn't realize me and my car were being debated on the 993 board

YouYou decided he really wanted a coupe so we didnt quite get to the PPI stage

I appreciate some of the supportive comments re my ownership of the car. I have been very honest with any potential buyer on her minor issues (trunk struts etc) but the car is in solid shape - have just not found the right buyer yet.

I have another gentleman interested but if that doesn't hit then I will just store it for the winter and either keep it or relist it next year for $42k

I'd first like to thank Rick for taking the time to show me his car.
I did drive 1000km in one night to take a look at Rick's car and was very interested.
As Rick stated he's been extremely open about what needs to be tweaked on the car and truthfully it's not much.
Anyone looking for a Cabriolet this is definitely the one to get.
It's absolutely beautiful and well taken care of!
Nice and subtle mods and great sound coming out of that baby with those Fister III's.
Ultimately i decided my heart was set with a coupe. Be it a 993 or 964..
Rick thank you again for your time and i'm here vouching for his car. Out of all the research i've done, this is by far the nicest looking , best priced 993 cab out there!
Good luck with the sale. The new owner will be very happy.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:19 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Youyou
I'd first like to thank Rick for taking the time to show me his car.
I did drive 1000km in one night to take a look at Rick's car and was very interested.
As Rick stated he's been extremely open about what needs to be tweaked on the car and truthfully it's not much.
Anyone looking for a Cabriolet this is definitely the one to get.
It's absolutely beautiful and well taken care of!
Nice and subtle mods and great sound coming out of that baby with those Fister III's.
Ultimately i decided my heart was set with a coupe. Be it a 993 or 964..
Rick thank you again for your time and i'm here vouching for his car. Out of all the research i've done, this is by far the nicest looking , best priced 993 cab out there!
Good luck with the sale. The new owner will be very happy.
Thanks, very kind of you

Good luck with the search
Old 10-21-2014, 07:26 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Since you haven't yet bought a car I'll chime in. I think the 993 is the best looking Porsche ever made....you can see the entire history of Porsche from the 356 up to and including the newest 911s all in the 993. It is also a perfect size...and it is just pure sex to drive. I do miss mine and because price was an issue, this time around I went for a 996...however I was originally looking at a 964. The 964, for my taste, has aged well...it is Porsche's equivilent of a Pit Bull...it is pure in your face Porsche 911. That said, my heart will alwasy be in the 993 but I would never feel deprived if I was driving a 964. So how does my 2003 996 stack up to my long gone 993 and 964 RS America? It does really well...not as clean a look at the 993 or 964 but a great daily driver and at a price that makes it like a give away. If resale is important than I think the 996 offers much more long term upside than the 993 or 964 because they have already been moving up for three or four years, while the 996 is down in its price basement. You could buy a 996 and do everything you want to it and still not spend what a 993 or great cond. 964 might run you. Just my thoughts.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:54 PM
beans88xtc
Track Day

hi again to answer the questions above..... let me start by saying the guys at luxsport were extremely nice and very helpful. That being said they are dealers and are there to make money selling cars. to be extremely honest I think they or should I say him(lance one of the owners) tried to steer me away from the car when I first looked at it but I didnt catch the hint. Had I explained exactly what I was looking for instead of being overzealous and having blinders on for the black/chestnut maybe I would have caught the fact that he wanted to show me two other cars while I was there even though I called specifically for the black/chestnut. The PPi showed that the car really wasnt cared for by it last owner. I feel the last owner was some young hotshot that really had no love for the fine machine it was and just wanted it to "loook cool" bottom line was the two things that made me walk away was 1. suspension was lowered to the max and the car was severely bottomed out. so much so that the front underbody was concave and all bolts underneath were bent back toward engine. 2. car had roll cage in past that was removed so the car had bolts to close the holes left in the bottom of car and the wheel wells.
the mechanic who PPI'd it said unless it was selling for 15-20k it wasnt even worth rebuilding it as it showed to many signs of abuse.
Let me say again I dont blame LUX had I not been so excited about "going to look for my first porsche" I would have caught many things on the surface that would have made me walk from even doing a PPI. In the end everything has a reason and It ended up that I made a Lasting relationship with the service manager at the porsche dealership that did the PPI. And he showed me many things to look for in my next possibility. It happened to be the best 200$ I ever spent. Through the process Ive learned how much better it is to find a car on a sight like this than at a dealer. not that dealers are bad just they are business people in the end not porsche lovers if ya know what I mean. if you deal with LUX just be very clear on the type of car you want and listen between the lines and they will steer you toward the better cars in their stable.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:24 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Both the 964 & the 993 are great cars. Even the 964 had substantial suspension upgrades on the rear trailing arm suspension and has struts like the 993 up front a huge improvement over the earlier Carrera. Just do not consider a 964 4 wheel drive as the system is controlled electronically and some vehicles had serious reliability problems. The only other difference I can think of is I believe you will need to get the valves adjusted periodically on the 964 an incremental expense vs the 993 where no adjustments are needed but you get hit with one big expense when you replace all the adjusters at once. So it may be a wash from a cost standpoint. The real difference is what expensive service items have been done to a particular car you are considering that are expenses you will now avoid.

Andy

Quick Reply: Need some help 993 or 964 or 3.2. Long with pics!