Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Immobilizer issue again… it will not start!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Immobilizer issue again… it will not start!

Hey Friends,

The last time this issue cropped up, I took the 1998C2S to the Porsche Dealer, and they could not find the problem ( I had disconnected the battery and re-connected, to reboot), because of that they said that they could not find a fault in any code.

Now on the last PCA fall drive, stopped some 100 miles from the city ( Calgary), started the 993 and the warning light ( I ) lights up and the ABS light stays on… afraid to stop, we got it home. The following day it will not start, no warning lights, the engine turns over very quickly ( a full battery), as I always put the "maintainer" on.

So I go through the procedure Programming procedure. Tried four times and it did start with the ABS light staying on. Today it will not start again, I've got to get it to the Porsche dealer I guess OR

Is there a shop somewhere that can defeat the Immobilizer system completely?

Any Ideas???

Many thanks in advance!!!
Old 10-03-2014, 04:38 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 289 Posts

This doesn't sound like an immobilizer issue- the immobilizer won't allow the engine to even turn over. Sounds like a DME relay or computer issue- obviously i'd start with the relay. do you have a code reader? I bought one- good investment.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:42 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

PRSWILL,

Thanks for your note…, I replaced the DME Relay and it didn't help. Last time a friend came over with a code reader and we could not read any faults. What type of code-reader works best? there are several model available, as I am told…

Cheers,

Bert
Old 10-03-2014, 06:17 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd start with the simplest things and make sure they are working correctly. Apologies if you've already checked all the basics.

Battery voltage at rest?
Battery voltage when car is running (assuming you can start it intermittently)?
Is the starter actually turning the engine when you crank it, or is the starter just spinning?

I'd try to rule out the battery and charging system first, since the issue seems to be electrical.

Also, if the ABS light has come on, fault codes should be stored. You'll need a Durametric, Hammer, PST2, etc for read the ABS fault memory. Based on my knowledge, a generic code reader will not be able to read the ABS information. Assuming the ABS light and no-start symptoms are related, this could provide some more information on the root cause.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Try jumpering the DME relay, too. It could be that you have two bad ones. Chances are low, but it could be...
Old 10-03-2014, 07:09 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Weird... So the ignition cranks but it doesn't turn over?
Old 10-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

B-Line,

Yeah, the engine cranks (fast), but there seems to be no spark or ignition, the tank is half-full… trying to locate a Fault Code Reader, as suggested the Durametric Hammer , PST 2… the price for the until is around $ 500.00, so that is not possible!

Why would the ABS "light up?"

Is that part of the ECU?

thanks for all you guys with input!

Air-cooled regards,

Bert
Old 10-03-2014, 07:33 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Don't entirely rule out strange coincidence. My ABS light comes on from time to time if the sensor gets wet. Maybe this is just one of those times that your car not starting has nothing to do with the ABS light even though it's also illuminated.

I'm not a wrench. I'm not a mechanical expert on 993's in any way shape or form. The only reason I'm responding in this thread is because I've had 2-3 incidents in my 13 years of ownership that were related to the car starting so thought I might be able to share some experience.

But all of my problems were "no crank".

Just recently I would put my key in, turn the key and 50% of the time, no response. Then it got worse and worse. I used to spray some wd40 on the key and sometimes it appeared to help. When I finally took it in, my shop was convinced that it was an immobilizer problem, I was convinced it was an ignition problem... Turned out it was the switch on the clutch that needed replacing.

Other times I had problems getting the car to crank, I had to really hard CRANK the steering wheel out if it's locked position.

Almost sounds like a fuel injector or something.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:12 AM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 289 Posts

the ECU under the passenger seat- you didn't get it wet did you ? same with the control modules under the carpet in the frunk near the spare tire. I have heard of some VERY weird stuff happening when these modules get wet.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:31 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

First verify 12.5 +/-volts at rest from the battery with one of those cigarette lighter battery testers from Harbor freight or eBay.
I would then focus on the DME relay as new aftermarket ones can come DOA out of the box. I would then check to see if you can hear the fuel pump running when you first turn on the ignition and then check for the presence of spark via one of the plug wires on the primary distributor cap. Reading codes may also point to one of the above items. This sort of thing should be very easy to find the root cause on.
Andy
Old 10-04-2014, 01:45 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
Don't entirely rule out strange coincidence. My ABS light comes on from time to time if the sensor gets wet. Maybe this is just one of those times that your car not starting has nothing to do with the ABS light even though it's also illuminated.

I'm not a wrench. I'm not a mechanical expert on 993's in any way shape or form. The only reason I'm responding in this thread is because I've had 2-3 incidents in my 13 years of ownership that were related to the car starting so thought I might be able to share some experience.

But all of my problems were "no crank".

Just recently I would put my key in, turn the key and 50% of the time, no response. Then it got worse and worse. I used to spray some wd40 on the key and sometimes it appeared to help. When I finally took it in, my shop was convinced that it was an immobilizer problem, I was convinced it was an ignition problem... Turned out it was the switch on the clutch that needed replacing.

Other times I had problems getting the car to crank, I had to really hard CRANK the steering wheel out if it's locked position.

Almost sounds like a fuel injector or something.
Based upon the info here, I'd be making a b-line (pun intended) looking at the ignition key switch, which does wear out and can cause no start issues that appear to be immobilizer related.
Attached Images  

Last edited by nine9six; 10-04-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:29 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ocean Blue C2S
Is there a shop somewhere that can defeat the Immobilizer system completely?

Any Ideas???
Hi Bert:

Sorry to read about your problem. Steve Weiner can re-program the ecu for you. If I correctly understand the threads here, the ecu can be sent to him. Or you and Evelyn could combine a nice High Desert road trip with a visit to his shop in Portland, next spring.

If the dealer can't get your car going, I suggest you have Marc at Alpine look at it.

Good luck.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:43 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

Rinty,

Thanks for your suggestion! It is good because I will be going though Portland at the end of January… it is a bit too long from now, however…

Do you have a spare DME unit I could try?

Cheers,

Bert
Old 10-04-2014, 07:50 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Kind of a long shot, but a few seasons ago I failed to tighten (fully) the positive terminal to my battery. It was on to the point that the car would start, but it was definitely loose. This triggered my ABS and ABD lights (C4S) while driving and I freaked out and pulled over. I couldn't figure out the problem on the side of the road, so I limped it home. I later searched out RL and went into the trunk to inspect my ABS and ABD module and stumbled on the loose battery terminal. As soon as I tightened it my lights went away and the car was back to normal.

Double check that your terminals are tight and/or clean!!

Hope that helps you out!
Old 10-04-2014, 08:00 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ocean Blue C2S
Rinty,

Thanks for your suggestion! It is good because I will be going though Portland at the end of January… it is a bit too long from now, however…

Do you have a spare DME unit I could try?

Cheers,

Bert
I did have one, but I gave it to Donster, the new owner. I finally sold the car so I could stop worrying about all this stuff.

Last edited by Rinty; 10-05-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Immobilizer issue again… it will not start!