993 Forum 1995-1998

New Fire Extinguisher Mounting-thoughts and pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
I have this setup in the past and hated it!!!

My passenger would constantly kick the extinguisher, and complains about it eating into their feet space.

But I don't know of a better setup, so have to take it out.

Besides, I want a setup where the driver can access the FE easily. Putting it on the passenger floor and metal clasps is not easily accessible.
Absent of a better spot, this is plenty accessible, if needed-IMO.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:02 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Speaking of Fire Extinguisher....anyone worry about putting one in a car during the middle of Texas summer?
Old 09-29-2014, 01:30 PM
Stable Energies
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Everyone

The mount being discussed here is actually our part # FEM3. This mount was not designed for the 993 because of the problem with it being too low and possibly contacting the carpet. It will fit in some situations, but just barely.

Our FEM2 mount works much better for the 993. It mounts the extinguisher on a horizontal plane instead of vertical.

http://www.stableenergies.com/Fire-E...ductinfo/FEM2/

A post from another member showing the FEM2 installed in a 993:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ml#post7967937

Please feel free to contact us directly with any questions regarding our products, we've been selling them for many years, and when we have someone that has difficulty with an install, usually it just takes some quick Q&A to get it figured out.

And I would have to agree with Mr Hughes, in a car with factory interior, the best spot is in front of the passenger seat. It is plenty accessible, and using the Brey Krause quick release makes the mount even nicer, although the double strap bracket that comes with the Amerex extinguishers gets the job done.

http://www.stableenergies.com/Brey-K...info/FEM-9520/
Old 09-29-2014, 02:23 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

I like these Safecraft units; the bracket pictured is for a Brey-Krause seat bracket. 2 1/2 pound Halon, nice powder coated bottle or chrome (dull black one is wrinkle finish) with an alloy head.

https://www.safecraft.com/

I will have to mount to passenger side on console tunnel since my Recaro operator goes across the front of seat.

Standard mounting plate is 4" X 3.25" but they make a 3" X 2.5" plate as well.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:38 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stable Energies
Hi Everyone

The mount being discussed here is actually our part # FEM3. This mount was not designed for the 993 because of the problem with it being too low and possibly contacting the carpet. It will fit in some situations, but just barely.

Our FEM2 mount works much better for the 993. It mounts the extinguisher on a horizontal plane instead of vertical.

http://www.stableenergies.com/Fire-E...ductinfo/FEM2/

A post from another member showing the FEM2 installed in a 993:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ml#post7967937

Please feel free to contact us directly with any questions regarding our products, we've been selling them for many years, and when we have someone that has difficulty with an install, usually it just takes some quick Q&A to get it figured out.

And I would have to agree with Mr Hughes, in a car with factory interior, the best spot is in front of the passenger seat. It is plenty accessible, and using the Brey Krause quick release makes the mount even nicer, although the double strap bracket that comes with the Amerex extinguishers gets the job done.

http://www.stableenergies.com/Brey-K...info/FEM-9520/
Well, now that you weighed in, you probably should update your website. I may not have bought this unit, had your info not clearly noted it fits a 993 with power seats. And' I'd checked before purchasing. I'm certainly not blaming you for anything, I bought it as a little used or unused part, and not new. This is from your site two minutes ago, FEM3. I'd verified fitment, then ordered the new extinguisher from you folks.

And, the confirmation that it may or may not clear seems to confirm what I surmised.

Anyone want to buy a used FEM3 mount for a 964 or older??
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2014, 11:02 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
The widget is a flexible magnetized oil drain plug remover. Has two flanges to grab the plug after it's loosened. You then twist to unscrew it all of the way. If you do it with oil hot, you don't get a hot oil hand bath, and plug stays out of the oil receptacle! Read about it in Autoweek; best gizmo I've seen in a while!
but isn't the drain on the oil tank aluminum? mine is...
Old 09-29-2014, 11:06 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
Maybe, but the sump is steel.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:34 PM
Stable Energies
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Well, now that you weighed in, you probably should update your website. I may not have bought this unit, had your info not clearly noted it fits a 993 with power seats. And' I'd checked before purchasing. I'm certainly not blaming you for anything, I bought it as a little used or unused part, and not new. This is from your site two minutes ago, FEM3. I'd verified fitment, then ordered the new extinguisher from you folks.

And, the confirmation that it may or may not clear seems to confirm what I surmised.

Anyone want to buy a used FEM3 mount for a 964 or older??
My apologies for that typo on our site, should be fixed now.

We are in the middle of a long overdue site revamp, which should be completed soon and allow for a much more pleasant overall shopping experience through our site. Along with this we will be going through our products to address issues like this and correct them before they become a problem for our customers.

If you are still interested in an FEM2 to better fit your 993, please contact me directly and I will see what we can do for you.

-Joe
Old 09-30-2014, 01:30 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
All 4 drain plugs are aluminum. That's exactly what I thought when I saw what the widget is for. I just use surgical gloves to pull it and then not worry about the oil.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:25 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stable Energies
My apologies for that typo on our site, should be fixed now.

We are in the middle of a long overdue site revamp, which should be completed soon and allow for a much more pleasant overall shopping experience through our site. Along with this we will be going through our products to address issues like this and correct them before they become a problem for our customers.

If you are still interested in an FEM2 to better fit your 993, please contact me directly and I will see what we can do for you.

-Joe
E-mail sent Joe, thanks.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:46 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Gotta update this one. As he mentioned above, Joe from Stable Energies made me a great offer to get the right mount. I told him I'd call when my travel let up. Well, it hasn't and he sent me a reminder/prompt email yesterday to see if I still wanted to take him up on the special offer. That's what I call customer support!

I called him to order and it's on the way. I'll put pics up when I get it in.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:07 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Glad to see progress is being made.
Looking forward to driving together soon?
Old 10-19-2014, 02:03 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgfen
Glad to see progress is being made.
Looking forward to driving together soon?
I would love that-need to get through the rest of Oct still. Nov won't be a cakewalk, but it'll be easier than Oct. I've only put 180 miles on the car since the latter part of Aug.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:52 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ed and Craig,
Make sure to keep me posted if you guys are doing a drive. The Porsche is up on jack stands again for shift linkage adjustment and to re-install the heater hoses (wife requirement ) but it will be down again tomorrow.

Fire extinguisher mount looks awesome... I think I need to add this to my ever-growing list!
Old 10-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

How about a tentative 11/8 run?

It's been a while!!

Quick Reply: New Fire Extinguisher Mounting-thoughts and pics