993 exhaust - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 01:09 PM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 exhaust - suggestions?

hello fellow Porsche-philes!

i've been a 993 fan for years and am researching an upgraded exhaust for it. I've been recommended Fabspeed and RSR among others like Borla and even the factory upgraded motor sound.

i have a 993 c4s and a 993 targa.

i'd like some opinions, pros and cons and perhaps meeting with a local to hear it live.

thank you in advance.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:18 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Fister.
Stage II if you want the car to appear factory but sound the way it should have come from the factory.

Stage III if you want to have hot rod sound.

Both stages have zero drone and sound pure porsche.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:31 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Fister.
Stage II if you want the car to appear factory but sound the way it should have come from the factory.

+993 I wouldn't even consider any other options.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:41 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

When I listen to the cargraphics, there's no substitute. But it's very pricey
Old 09-27-2014, 02:11 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default This is the way to go!!!

Agree, FD Motorsports stage II for mellow, Stage III if you want "macho" sound. In addition, assuming you want 20+ HP and increased torque (I have the Dyno results to prove this, done before and after the X pipe and cat bypass pipes), add the Fabspeed X pipe and cat bypass pipes. If you have unlimited funds, over 2X the price of FD Motorsports muffs, add the Fabspeed Maxflows, $1,200 a set. I have them, got them used.

My car and I will be at Buttonwillow on October 23 in the afternoon for a Dyno run and the 24th for the Test and Tune day. You can hear my system up close and personal on the Dyno and watch the numbers generate. Then you can make an educated decision.

Re the cat bypass pipes, you'll need to take them and the X pipe off for semi-annual emissions testing. BFD....also note I have not seen a CEL , BUT my car only sees duty on the track.

No charge for this invaluable advice
Old 09-27-2014, 02:22 PM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Fister Stage II. Sounds the way it should have sounded from the factory.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:31 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like my lightweight x pipe fabspeed makes. With the sport cats it's not very cheap.

Strictly muffler upgrade for sound, I think you'll find FD gets everyone's vote. They're great to deal with as well!
Old 09-27-2014, 02:58 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Fister.

+1

This is the ONLY option for me (for street cars).
Old 09-27-2014, 03:27 PM
sander97C2
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Fister stage III everyday! It's ON when you want to hear it otherwise its just the right amount of noise when your cruising.
Highly recommend you hear it or any exhaust in person if possible.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:30 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Back before the Fister's were en vogue , Robin Sun's RSRs were all the rage on the Rennlist 993 forum and the reason I sought them out. I've had mine for several years now and have been very happy with them. They are lighter than Fister stage IIIs by Fisters own figures. Of course, they have fallen out of favor and are hard to find now anyway. Most current R'listers don't know much about them. Probably best to go with the Fister's as they are now the favored setup.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:07 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Another advantage of the FD set up is they will take your mufflers and modify them or send you an already modified pair when you send yours in. Only $410.

http://fdmotorsports.net/fister-exhaust-993-stage-2

No affiliation..

Last edited by Vorsicht; 09-27-2014 at 06:09 PM. Reason: linky
Old 09-27-2014, 06:36 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts

+ 1 Fister II's
Old 09-27-2014, 07:13 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 225 Posts

Fab speed maxflo 's are very nice as well. No affiliation. I've had them on my 993 for over 10yrs and still love them.

Combine this with a drilled out air cover and you have a great combo.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:06 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the most cost effective exhaust for a 993 is the Fister modified mufflers.

The difference between the Stage II and III Fisters is all about loudness. The Stage II's have a nice bark to them,but are not overpowering. If you install Stage III's, you'll have to soft pedal through your neighborhood to keep your neighbors from calling the cops!

At first, I installed sport cats plus the Stage II mufflers and found the combo to be overpowering. Just too loud for my taste. So, I replaced the cats with a standard cat, and the Stage II's sound really wonderful.

Regardless of which exhaust you end up with, do not expect any power gains. Noda. Zero. The stock 993 exhaust system is incredibly efficient. So, the only improvements you can make are in the sound department.

The Fisters are about the only system that people will not mention drone about. That's important if you want to listen to your stereo without your fillings resonating!
Old 09-27-2014, 10:36 PM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first i say thank you very much for the feedback. i'm a rookie when it comes to modifying cars so i appreciate the honesty and detail.

my targa has the factory upgraded motor sound, which i like, but just wish it was just a little bit more. my c4s has the bone stock exhaust and needs some help. i was getting settled with buying a used motor sound package from la dismantler for $750 and having it installed locally. i was told of rsr and fabspeed and quickly lost interest in the factory motor sound.

i get the impression the rsr is just a tad more than the factory motor sound option, which is why it appealed to me. i've heard some fabspeed and seems too loud for me. i don't know much 'bout fister and will begin to research it.

i get the impression fister stage II might be worth looking into. since i'm pretty happy with the 993 performance overall as a package, i won't complain for little to no power gain. can someone give me an idea of costs with the fister stage II?

martin, thank you sooo much for the invitation. i am saving the date now with plans on going to willow springs. i'll bug you a few days before to confirm and possibly exchange cell numbers via private email.

i didn't hear anyone mention borla - i take it that's not an option or not worth pursuing.

Quick Reply: 993 exhaust - suggestions?