993 Forum 1995-1998

GT3 seats shoulder harness hole question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 01:57 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts
Default GT3 seats shoulder harness hole question

Went to 5 point harness in my car with the 996 GT3 seats for DE days with a DAS rollbar. I'm only 5'8" and the problem is my shoulders don't come to the top of the shoulder harness holes in the seats. So when all strapped in, the shoulder belts hit the lower edge of the shoulder hole then down to my shoulders. While this keeps me back in the seat, it is too loose at the top of my shoulder and especially with a neck restraint, allows it to move since there isn't much pressure running over the top of the device.
Is there a way to bolster the seat bottom or will this require different seats to be right? Raising the seat won't change the relationship of my shoulder to the holes.

appreciate any input.

bill
Old 09-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by clib
Went to 5 point harness in my car with the 996 GT3 seats for DE days with a DAS rollbar. I'm only 5'8" and the problem is my shoulders don't come to the top of the shoulder harness holes in the seats. So when all strapped in, the shoulder belts hit the lower edge of the shoulder hole then down to my shoulders. While this keeps me back in the seat, it is too loose at the top of my shoulder and especially with a neck restraint, allows it to move since there isn't much pressure running over the top of the device.
Is there a way to bolster the seat bottom or will this require different seats to be right? Raising the seat won't change the relationship of my shoulder to the holes.

appreciate any input.

bill
you need a straight unhindered fetch from the Hans through the hole to the bar fastening point, there should be a slight down angle, Schroth says max 20°

Schroth_Installation_Checklist.pdf
Old 09-15-2014, 03:06 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

the angle back to the bar fastening point is OK. But the seat holes are an inch too high.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:20 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

the angle back to the bar fastening point is OK. But the seat holes are an inch too high.
New seats or enlarge the holes, if the belt is riding on the seat it is useless as a safety device.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:25 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Not an expert here, but maybe try a fatter (double) seat cushion?
Old 09-15-2014, 05:44 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

thanks Bill - not sure if I can enlarge them and come up with something cosmetically good. And the seats are valuable so I might just list them and get something right sized.

hf1, I thought about that too, but anything soft would just compress with much force on it. I think it would have to be something solid added to the bottom of the seat and I'm worried about the bandaid approach with unpredictable results.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:54 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

hf1, I thought about that too, but anything soft would just compress with much force on it.
Make it as fat as it needs to be when compressed, then.

I think it would have to be something solid added to the bottom of the seat and I'm worried about the bandaid approach with unpredictable results.
I don't think there's much risk. Once you're strapped in tight, your body has nowhere to go. But maybe someone more knowledgeable can also chime in.

If this is also a street car, it would be great to find a solution with these seats. If not, probably best to replace them with race seats that fit you properly.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:27 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Not an expert here, but maybe try a fatter (double) seat cushion?
That is what my wife did. Purchased some automotive alcantara and made fatter cushions. She is 5'3" I am a little over 6' I need to remove the cushion and sit on the shell otherwise my head hits. I am actually pulling the GT3 seats and selling mine. The new car has no sunroof so I can change everything.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:54 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

As you've already stated, the bandaid approach to this fix is not the solution. Being on track with students many a time and seeing first hand when safety counts, DO NOT short cut it. Use a seat that was designed from the get go for the specific purpose and fits your body type. I'd also reconsider 5 points, as most sanctioning bodies are going to 6 pt harnesses. I don't know who you'll run with re DE, but most organizations want same set up for the passenger seat.

Just passing along what I know. I personally check out my students car if it looks suspect or doesn't fit me, we find another instructor. Its that simple to limit the inherent risks.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:13 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rlme36
As you've already stated, the bandaid approach to this fix is not the solution. Being on track with students many a time and seeing first hand when safety counts, DO NOT short cut it. Use a seat that was designed from the get go for the specific purpose and fits your body type. I'd also reconsider 5 points, as most sanctioning bodies are going to 6 pt harnesses. I don't know who you'll run with re DE, but most organizations want same set up for the passenger seat.

Just passing along what I know. I personally check out my students car if it looks suspect or doesn't fit me, we find another instructor. Its that simple to limit the inherent risks.
those were my thoughts also on the seat mods, plus sitting on a big pad will only further 'remove' me from what the car is doing. I misspoke, I do have 6 point harnesses in the car 9both sides)
Old 09-16-2014, 12:25 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

these were my thoughts, plus sitting on a big pad will only further 'remove' me from what the car is doing. I was not aware of sanctioning bodies changing from 5 to 6 point sub belts - is PCA considering this as well?
My wife uses this in the Recaro Hans XL seat. The goal is to make her fit tight in the seat. https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...roupID=BACKPAD

I do not think of adding pads as band aid, unless you need to raise yourself several inches which means the wrong seat.

6 point harness is more comfortable and safer (?) in case of a hard frontal hit. I have not heard that any organization disallows 5 point in DE.

Good luck
Old 09-16-2014, 01:32 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
I do not think of adding pads as band aid, unless you need to raise yourself several inches which means the wrong seat.
Yes, adding one inch of padding is not a band aid.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:37 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Appreciate all the input from the group. No offense meant by 'bandaid' term. My own experience has just been the more 'improvised' a solution the more room to make errors. Doing a bit more research found the following thread with some useful links to seat inserts as well.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...e-forward.html

Quick Reply: GT3 seats shoulder harness hole question