993 Forum 1995-1998

Lubricating the door seals and hinges

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 07:09 PM
ntmatter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lubricating the door seals and hinges

One of the scheduled maintenance items that I've typically skipped are the seemingly minor lubrications - the door seals, hinges, and door locks. I'm about to do a fairly significant maintenance pass (oil, filters, ATF) I'd like to do some of these smaller things as well. Can I confirm that I'm thinking about doing these correctly?

Door seals: Use "wet" silicon on the outside of the door seal rubber to prevent them from squeaking

Door hinges: Apply a small amount of grease into the door hinges and allow it to work its way in

Door latches: Apply (some kind) of lubricant to the door latch moving parts in small amounts, keeping away from the key hole itself.

I've searched here and on p-car and haven't been able to get a good DIY on these types of items - if there's a pointer to specifically how to go through the "inspect all these things" section of the maintenance schedule and to perform the types of maintenance that the dealership service would do I'd much appreciate any pointers.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:52 PM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having just done the door latches I am not too sure you can do too much from the 'outside', rather the part that really needs the lubrication and cleaning is inside and only accessible by taking off the inner door panel. My latches were so gunked up that I ended up unbolting the door handles from the door and taking the whole contraption out in order to get it cleaned and lubed. I used a silicon based lubricant.

Regards, Frank
Old 09-14-2014, 10:32 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ntmatter

Door seals: Use "wet" silicon on the outside of the door seal rubber to prevent them from squeaking

Door hinges: Apply a small amount of grease into the door hinges and allow it to work its way in
In the manual, IIRC, it suggests using glycerin on the door seals. I bought some at the drug store and tried to apply it. It seemed to just sit on the surface of the seals. So, I've opted for Aerospace 303 on the seals. What do you have in mind for "wet" silicon?

On the door hinges my dealer has used a lithium based grease. I have some in an aerosol format that I find very good for that application. Just give the hinge a blast of it, and it will do its thing.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:36 PM
randytrish
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default seal treatments

I've used this stuff. I have a 01 MB SLK with a retractable hardtop and this is recommended for the seals to keep from squeaking and drying out. I used it on my 993 with no issues.
http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-...are-stick.html
Old 09-14-2014, 10:36 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2268_477562149

I've used gummi fledge for rubber seals around doors for a long time with good results.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:00 AM
ntmatter
Advanced

Funnily enough, I used to own an indoor bounce house place, and we used Aerospace 303 on the slides to keep them slick and prevent them from wearing out. The stuff is like oiled ball bearings, I'll see if we kept any after we closed. Sounds like I should hold off on the door handles (which aren't having any problems).

As far as aerosol grease, would you spray it *on* the hinge, or *in* the hinge (I'm thinking with something like a WD40 tube)?
Old 09-15-2014, 01:34 AM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Doors seals I recommend shin etsu grease http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Hond...-/400235078098

Latches and hinges use white lithium grease
Old 09-15-2014, 02:29 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

For the hinges, I use pressurized lithium grease injected through the feed hole - made up a little attachment so it seals, and put a rag around the hinge if it splatters. You can also just use some oil - not sure how to just apply grease without a carrier that can evaporate to leave the grease.

303 on the door seals, etc.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-15-2014, 09:14 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
For the hinges, I use pressurized lithium grease injected through the feed hole - made up a little attachment so it seals, and put a rag around the hinge if it splatters.
I've tried something like this and made a complete mess. I managed to get more grease on the outside of the hinge than inside.

Can you share some more detail? Is the feed hole in the middle of the hinge? How did you get it to seal?
Old 09-15-2014, 11:28 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ntmatter
(I'm thinking with something like a WD40 tube)?
Don't use WD40 as a lubricant. It's a "water displacement" and will actually remove grease.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:03 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mpruden
I've tried something like this and made a complete mess. I managed to get more grease on the outside of the hinge than inside.

Can you share some more detail? Is the feed hole in the middle of the hinge? How did you get it to seal?
Did not say it was not messy - haha. Yes, the feed hole in the middle of the hinge - I used a small rubber plug, drilled a hole through it which the tube from the aerosol can is attached to, and with a knife taper cut the end so it can be pushed against the oiling hole in the center of the hinge. It leaked all over because of the crappy seals (including where the feed tube attached to the spray nozzle on the can ) but I think it worked. Definitely more outside than inside though!

I just looked for it but the thing is not on the shelf where is supposed to be.

There must be a better way though - its messy as hell doing it that way. I have also just squirted thin oil into the hole, that seemed to work a bit, but it does not get to the upper side of the pin. Access is a challenge. Problem is, you really do not know how well any lubricant penetrates in there without removing the hinge pin, which is another story in itself...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-15-2014, 12:11 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for the detail, Mike. Glad I'm not the only one having trouble with this simple task.

Originally Posted by Mike J
I have also just squirted thin oil into the hole, that seemed to work a bit, but it does not get to the upper side of the pin.
There is no problem with this approach. Very carefully turn the car upside down after applying the oil.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:15 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If you flip it BEFORE you apply the oil, I find it makes less mess ...
Old 09-16-2014, 01:26 AM
ntmatter
Advanced

Interesting, thanks all. I used 303 on the door seals - they don't look chalky anymore! Such an easy thing to fix a minor but long time irritation. I got a can of lithium aerosol grease and I'll try to work out a repeatable solution for sealing the spray tube to that hole in the hinge. I'm wondering if something like a child's medicine syringe (the kind that comes with oral antibiotics) with regular synthetic grease would be an option instead. I'll update if I figure it out.

Quick Reply: Lubricating the door seals and hinges