993 Forum 1995-1998

New fan and alternator

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 11:06 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New fan and alternator

Researching prices on a new fan and alternator. Seems the best price on the fan is www.eeuroparts.com for $472 (with fan hub already installed) and the alternator at www.autohouseaz.com for $203.89 (plus core charge of $150). Both parts are Bosch. Anyone ordered from either of these that can provide pros/cons or suggestions? TIA

Last edited by ble2011; 09-14-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't recommend exchanging your alternator, the rebuilt ones don't use the same level of quality components as the original. You can rebuild yours or farm it out to an auto electric shop.

Unless you've had a substantial failure, your original alternator can be easily rebuilt with a handful of parts. Heres a parts list for the alternator in my 95;

http://www.woodauto.com/Unit.aspx?Ma...Ref=0120468125

You'll need front and rear bearings, voltage regulator with brushes, and likely a rear bearing tolerance ring (its plastic and falls apart). I bought good SKF Explorer bearings from a local bearing shop, the voltage regulator from Pelican, and the tolerance ring from a local auto electric place. You may need to have your slip ring cleaned up if its grooved; I had mine lightly cut but I could have got away with a hand polish.

Heres a good DIY if you want to take it on yourself;
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...r-rebuild.html

The best I could find on a new fan was $463, PM me if you want the source as I don't want to post it incase it's against the rules.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:28 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a rebuilt alternator but I just paid the core charge. I didn't want to trade in the original alternator. I am probably going to have it rebuilt at some point so it will be ready when my "new" one fails like others have said.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:22 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Before I would go for a local rebuild I would inspect the stator windings, insulation, stand-off posts.

Not many shops will have stator full rewinding capability.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:21 PM
ble2011
Drifting

My original alternator works great. However, when I went to remove the belts, I found the 12 point connection on the end of the alternator shaft was completely stripped. I really didn't want to replace the alternator, but I don't think this can be repaired.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:58 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ble2011
My original alternator works great. However, when I went to remove the belts, I found the 12 point connection on the end of the alternator shaft was completely stripped. I really didn't want to replace the alternator, but I don't think this can be repaired.
Ouch! Just brainstorming...you could drill out the shaft and have a stud with flats on the outer end welded in...or, someone with a RS pulley chime in here, does that setup allow more threads of the shaft to protrude? If so, go RS pulley and file the end of the shaft square so that you can fit an open end wrench on it.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:18 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I've ordered parts from AutohouseAZ and it's a very decent company that's been in business for a while. They tend to sell OEM parts and the prices are usually very good.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:29 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul902
Ouch! Just brainstorming...you could drill out the shaft and have a stud with flats on the outer end welded in...or, someone with a RS pulley chime in here, does that setup allow more threads of the shaft to protrude? If so, go RS pulley and file the end of the shaft square so that you can fit an open end wrench on it.
My old C4S had a chewed up triple square bit on the alternator. So I just wrapped a large screwdriver in cloth, stuck it between the blades to prevent the fan from moving and then used the 24mm box wrench to loosen the nut. No issues using that method, I've done it several times since.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:05 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
My old C4S had a chewed up triple square bit on the alternator. So I just wrapped a large screwdriver in cloth, stuck it between the blades to prevent the fan from moving and then used the 24mm box wrench to loosen the nut. No issues using that method, I've done it several times since.
This works but its a little tricky given that its actually the alternator you are trying to stop from moving (unless you have an RS set up)
Old 09-15-2014, 11:36 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Originally Posted by ilko
This sounds like what I did. I slide a flat ended punch in the fan blade slot all the way into the alternator. The alternator's windings have a very thick "spider", so the flat punch just pressed on the side of the "spider" prevented the armature from spinning (with the leverage of the punch resting in the slot of the alternator case). This allowed me to get a good turn on the nut. No damage occurred to the alternator. I was surprised it worked so well.

Back to the post, I've decided to buy a new alternator and fan (and fan bearing) just because I feel the age of the vehicle warrants replacing. Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:29 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
I've ordered parts from AutohouseAZ and it's a very decent company that's been in business for a while. They tend to sell OEM parts and the prices are usually very good.
They just front for Worldpac like almost every other Porsche parts dealer...
Old 09-15-2014, 07:54 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
They just front for Worldpac like almost every other Porsche parts dealer...
True, that. But I had an issue with them a few years back (wrong door gaskets, if I recall) and liked that they've responded quickly and it was fairly painless.

Quick Reply: New fan and alternator