Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

MWFW - need to get 10 commited orders for Steve W. to make them

Old 09-12-2014, 05:49 PM
ReinerFink
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MWFW - need to get 10 commited orders for Steve W. to make them

So, I have the LWF in my '95 and it is not acceptable (insert standard rant about stalling, hunting for idle, etc). I can either go back to a dual-mass uint, or get a MWFW.

I would like to go the MWFW route, however after emailing Steve Weiner I learned that they are not readily available. However, if I can round up 10 orders, he can get a batch of MWFW's made.

The design of these is based on what Andial did some time back (see the thread here for more info), and the cost is $1800 for the RS LWF, RS ring gear, weight ring & hardware and machine work required for fitment / balancing.

Steve can also supply you with the other bits and bobs necessary for the complete install.

Since I really do not want to go back to the DMFW, I am willing to float the cost of 3 of these units (I'll just hoard the two others until some poor sap like me shows up needing one).

Soooo, this leaves me with trying to drum up another 7 orders from the RL crowd. If you are really serious about getting a MWFW now (not 'gee, that might be nice someday when my clutch goes out') then please email Steve Weiner (porsche@rennsportsystems.com).

Thanks all!

-reiner

Last edited by ReinerFink; 09-15-2014 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Email Steve Weiner if comitted
Old 09-12-2014, 06:15 PM
sander97C2
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Cool. My dmf is on its last leg and i've been thinking about rs/lwf combo. What is the weight difference between lwf and mwfw?

edit: just read further into the thread you linked and steve wrote 13lbs(lwf) vs. 20lbs(mwfw)
Old 09-12-2014, 06:24 PM
saneproductions
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in for one.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:28 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello,

So you still need to factor in the cost of clutch disk, pilot bearing, etc.?

I am starting to plan a future clutch change and I have a 95 so I would definitely be interested.
I need to understand how much more it costs vs a DMF or a LWF since they run around $1.8K
Is the cost then double? If it is for the whole kit then count me in.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:58 PM
ReinerFink
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Renaud Bizet
So you still need to factor in the cost of clutch disk, pilot bearing, etc.?
Correct

Per Steve Weiner's website the aditional needed parts are:

RS pressure plate, RS clutch disc, RS guide tube, pilot bearing, release bearing, pressure plate bolts, flywheel bolts, rear main seal, and slave cylinder (which they always need) for $ 2751/complete

I don't know how up-to-date that $2751 price is, but you can price those parts yourself or contact Steve to ask for the current cost of the full meal deal.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:37 PM
callipygian 911
Racer

I had some occasional decel stalling with the LWFW in my 95 until Steve suggested dremelling the passage inside the ISV to be slightly wider. This increases the idling speed slightly and is reversible in that the part is pretty easy to swap out to go back. This totally cured my stalling. Just be careful to widen a little at a time and test it so as not to increase the idle speed too much! Then you have to start over with a new part!

Just another option to consider...
Old 09-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by callipygian 911
I had some occasional decel stalling with the LWFW in my 95 until Steve suggested dremelling the passage inside the ISV to be slightly wider. This increases the idling speed slightly and is reversible in that the part is pretty easy to swap out to go back. This totally cured my stalling. Just be careful to widen a little at a time and test it so as not to increase the idle speed too much! Then you have to start over with a new part!

Just another option to consider...
Widen the air passage or ?

You can also increase the base idle speed by accessing the screws holding the ISV apart (need a dremel to grind off the sealer), loosening them a bit, and twisting the two sides of the isv case relative to each other. Just do it a tiny bit and try it - if you want the wrong way and idle dropped, adjust. Once you get the idle where you want it (slightly higher for the 95) then tighten the screws down.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-12-2014, 08:57 PM
callipygian 911
Racer

Yeah...wider (or taller) to allow the passage of more air.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:59 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

PM sent
Old 09-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by callipygian 911
Yeah...wider (or taller) to allow the passage of more air.
Through the body, or the valve head itself, or the knife edge?
Old 09-12-2014, 10:51 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW I have one of the last Andial units installed in my car, Steve's unit will be identical to it.
I have never had a stalling issue and didn't want to take the risk of ever having one. I think it's a great product.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:03 PM
callipygian 911
Racer

I believe Steve was referring to raising the height of the narrow slit you can see through, but I'm not 100% sure to be honest. I relayed this description to Mark Kinninger who did the modification. He seemed to know exactly what Steve was referring to.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:11 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ReinerFink
Correct

Per Steve Weiner's website the aditional needed parts are:

RS pressure plate, RS clutch disc, RS guide tube, pilot bearing, release bearing, pressure plate bolts, flywheel bolts, rear main seal, and slave cylinder (which they always need) for $ 2751/complete

I don't know how up-to-date that $2751 price is, but you can price those parts yourself or contact Steve to ask for the current cost of the full meal deal.
The $2751 on the website appears to include the flywheel. Can you get with Steve and get a price for the complete package? I will be looking at a clutch replacement in the next year or so, so I may be a candidate.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:16 AM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can vouch for this setup as well, I just installed an Andial MWF in my 95 and no stalling issues with the stock chip.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:38 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Achtung, fellow Porsche nuts:

I'm going to offer two options here:

1) The MWF with RS ring gear to replace the LWF one in case someone already has the package and is experiencing stalling without resolution (that's a separate and somewhat complex subject). This is an exact clone of the ones Andial sold before they closed and they do work very well. These will run $1800 (unless Porsche bumps the price of the LWF one)

2) A complete MWF kit with all of the parts needed to install the package in place of the OEM Dual-Mass one. This is meant for people who need a clutch kit and are concerned about potential stalling on their 964 & '95 993. OBD-II cars don't have stalling problems unless there are resident issues. This is also a good option for OBD-II cars who need a little smoother drivability for stop & go traffic.

Remember, both versions do make a little rattling noise at idle due to backlash in the transmission which is normal with these and no cause for concern. The OEM D-M one dampens this out and the RS & MWF ones will not.

The factory RS one weighs 13 lbs and ours will be about 21 lbs. For comparison, the stock Dual-Mass ones are 38 lbs.

Pricing can vary a little due to the monthly updates that the Porsche factory does at the beginning of every month. Contact me directly for current prices on option #2.

Anyone interested in one of these should send me an e-mail so I can keep track. Once I get 10 orders, I shall make haste!!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MWFW - need to get 10 commited orders for Steve W. to make them