Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Another question for the stereo guys...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 01:08 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another question for the stereo guys...

Last step in my stereo install is the rear speakers. I'm replicating this install, and so far, with fronts only installed, it sounds great.

Last question is about rear tweeters, and please keep in mind that I'm a noob with this stuff. I'm using Focal IS 130 speakers and tweeters. Do I wire these just like stock -- keeping the capacitor on the positive wire that leads to the tweeter? i.e., only one pair of wires goes to the back of the car to power each speaker/tweeter combo (power/ground for L, and power/ground for R). And the correct way to set this up is to have that pair of wires powering both speaker and tweeter, but keep the factory capacitor in line between the power source and the tweeter. Since there's no crossover for these speakers (unlike the front), I would assume the capacitor needs to stay? And there's nothing fancy I need to do in terms of wiring the tweeters in series with the speakers? Just plug the tweeter into the same power/ground source?
Old 09-02-2014, 01:15 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Yes the capacitor that came with your new tweeters clips off the low frequency defining the cross over point where sound go to the tweeter. The tweeter, wired through the capacitor on its + lead should be attached in parallel with the positive lead from the woofer on to the positive/ signal wire from the amp. Then both the negative leads, one from the woofer , one from the tweeter, to the ground wire, If there are any other capacitors along the wire to the amplifier they should be removed.

After rereading your post it seems that your new tweeters may have an internal capacitor. I would read what came with them to verify this.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:50 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
After rereading your post it seems that your new tweeters may have an internal capacitor. I would read what came with them to verify this.
Thanks -- good catch. Here's what Crutchfield says about these speakers:
Crossovers: Each woofer and each tweeter has an integrated 6 dB/octave crossover. Because the woofer and tweeter crossovers are separate, the system can be bi-amped.
So maybe I don't need to keep the factory capacitor?
Old 09-02-2014, 03:28 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Nope! No external capacitors or coils then. Just wire the tweeter and woofer in parallel (not series) to the two wires. To keep things in phase wire both plus wires to the positive terminal on the amp and both negative wires to the ground.

Quick Reply: Another question for the stereo guys...