993 Forum 1995-1998

993-style upgrades... in a 3.2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts
Default 993-style upgrades... in a 3.2?

Here's the deal - I used to have an '86 3.2, that had it retained its roof, I would never have sold. I did not own it long enough to really get into improving it.

In the 8 years owning my 993, the number of improvements that have been discussed here are now second nature.

Just to list some of what I've personally enjoyed:

- Copans transmission ratio re-gear
- LWF
- Cup LSD rebuild
- TT/RS brakes
- 18" E88's
- RS front, skirt and rear spoilers
- GT3 Euro seats, Scroth harnesses, DAS roll bar
- Suspension, lower, align
- RS door cards
- RS short shift and Golden rod

Just purchased an 'original' Euro 3.2 and wondering what are the typical, quality improvements that you can make to that platform - from long memory:

- SSI?
- 2 in 2 out exhaust?
- turbo valve covers?
- new shocks, stiffer torsion bars, new rubber bushings?
- Rothsport 915 shifter?
- what else?

This will be only a street car, no track. Not looking for something tarted up - just solid, obvious improvements to enjoy on street. I am asking here first, as the 993 context will hopefully be useful in terms of what can/should be done. Many have enjoyed the ealiers cars prior to 993 ownership. Some are returning.

Cheers

Matt
Old 09-01-2014, 10:41 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

No personal experience, but I have heard that chipping the 3.2 makes quite a bit of difference.

2 out exhaust as noted.

turbo tie rods will tighten up the steering/response
I had an SC targa, so a strut brace also helped to stiffen things up. ditto with a harness bar.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:47 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 434 Posts

Anything to improve the 915 is a good start. They can be quite nice when setup properly.

7&8 or 9" Fuchs. Definitely improves looks though tire choice with a 9" rear is very limited.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:59 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Here's the deal - I used to have an '86 3.2, that had it retained its roof, I would never have sold. I did not own it long enough to really get into improving it.

In the 8 years owning my 993, the number of improvements that have been discussed here are now second nature.

Just to list some of what I've personally enjoyed:

- Copans transmission ratio re-gear
- LWF
- Cup LSD rebuild
- TT/RS brakes
- 18" E88's
- RS front, skirt and rear spoilers
- GT3 Euro seats, Scroth harnesses, DAS roll bar
- Suspension, lower, align
- RS door cards
- RS short shift and Golden rod

Just purchased an 'original' Euro 3.2 and wondering what are the typical, quality improvements that you can make to that platform - from long memory:

- SSI?
- 2 in 2 out exhaust?
- turbo valve covers?
- new shocks, stiffer torsion bars, new rubber bushings?
- Rothsport 915 shifter?
- what else?

This will be only a street car, no track. Not looking for something tarted up - just solid, obvious improvements to enjoy on street. I am asking here first, as the 993 context will hopefully be useful in terms of what can/should be done. Many have enjoyed the ealiers cars prior to 993 ownership. Some are returning.

Cheers

Matt
- SSI?- SSI(@1.5" OD) are on the small side for a 3.2, for street use ok, but 1 5/8" OD headers would be more appropriate. As an alternative a Cat bypass(the RoW 930/20 used these stock) is a good way to go. Additionally the mufflers for the SSI setup ar going to be either noisy or expensive. W/ a stock exhaust a Monty muffler though expensive sounds great. Wong chip for sure

- 2 in 2 out exhaust? I love the 2in 2out on mine but it's loud, as mentioned above a Monty 1 in 1 ou or 2 out might be a better choice

- turbo valve covers? If yours are defective, sure, otherwise why?

- new shocks, stiffer torsion bars, new rubber bushings? definitely Bilstein struts and shocks, I use HD front sport rear but hd all around is fine too. As w/ 993 Bilsteins a digressive revalve is worth it, if going that route just get hds

- Rothsport 915 shifter? Nice but so is Wevo, do the shifter and coupler and the clamp all at once

- what else? Your fronts appear to be 7 if the rears aren't 9s that's a nice upgrade, the down side is that the only rear rubber in a street 245/45 x16 is RE11 these are great choices, as an alternative get some 8 & 9(or 9.50 x17 and use 225/45 & 255/40 tires, lots of choices

nice fat steering wheel, I like the 930S but there are others
RS door card and pulls

reducing weigh from the bumpers pays dividends in handling, braking and acceleration and gets rid of the ugly rubber bellows, but now we are getting away from a basic street car.

if it doesn't have an lSD get one even for street use these are great, 40% ZF is fine as long as the disks and setup are good

Mine has all the above plus some
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Anything to improve the 915 is a good start. They can be quite nice when setup properly.

7&8 or 9" Fuchs. Definitely improves looks though tire choice with a 9" rear is very limited.
The turbo Fuchs look great, I ran 225 front and 245 rear on 7 and 9 inch Fuchs.

Shifting the 915 needs to be deliberate.
Loved my SC, but 993 is definitely a step up.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:34 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I has an 86 once. The big items are to go with 16" wheels if it does not already have them. Before upgrading the shifter parts just replace the shift linkage and shiftier ball joint bushings with replacement white nylon parts. Check the engine mounts to ensure that the shift pattern does not move around too much. I found my 86 to be trouble free, the only reason I sold it was because after years of service in Cleveland Ohio - Snow & Salt in winter, 90+ degrees in the summer the cost of repainting it was more than just finding a car in better condition. From what I understand it is presently still running around in Southern California with its subsequent owner.

Quick Reply: 993-style upgrades... in a 3.2?