993 Forum 1995-1998

Removed old Phone system now A/C not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 05:33 PM
rrc715
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Removed old Phone system now A/C not working

1995 993. I removed the motorola phone system and now the A/C is not working at all. The phone system was an independent system that no had no association with the A/C system. I removed the rear window antenna, the phone mount from the center council, the microphone from above the steering wheel, and the remaining electrical components beneath the dash. The wiring harness was loomed to the fuse box with red, green, and blk ground wire. I had no issues with the removal that would indicate any issues with any other systems. The microphone wire was fed through the dash behind the CCU but i did not have any problems when this wire was pulled out.

I either pulled something loose during the removal or this is a crazy coincidence.

The A/C buttons light up when pushed but the system does not turn on at all.

Has anyone experienced this issue. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:36 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might pull out the CCU and check the connections, although they are usually in very tight.
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2014, 07:44 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Here is a good AC Diagnosis page:
http://www.bergvillfx.com/porschehvac1.html
Old 09-01-2014, 08:32 PM
rrc715
Rennlist Member

Thanks Guys. Just for info there were no fuses blown or any indication that i did something wrong. I looked under the dash and could see the CCU wiring harness was fully inserted. Im stumped at this point. Do you if it is possible if the SHO12V/25A blk switch could be out and cause this?
Old 09-02-2014, 04:14 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 253 Posts

Sometimes seemingly related electrical issues are coincidental. You need a voltmeter and a set of wiring diagrams specific to your year car.

I would begin at the end. That is, turn AC on and verify visually that AC clutch is not engaging. If not confirm ground at the compressor is connected. If it is, start tracing the power wire back until you find a connection you can check for 12vdc. If you don't have 12v, wiring diagram should lead you to a fuse or relay. It could be someone did a kluge job on the phone install power. If so, you'll have to try to put it back to the correct installation. That's how I'd go at it.

Good luck. With electrical troubleshooting, stay calm, take several rest breaks, you'll find it. The key is to have correct wiring diagrams.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:53 PM
rrc715
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Im in the process of the back trace. At this point all efforts have not found anything that would explain the immediate AC fail.

I have an appointment to have the car inspected by a Porsche mechanic tomorrow. I think i will leave it to a pro to troubleshoot this problem.

Thanks for the feedback. It is appreciated, RRC715
Old 09-05-2014, 06:57 PM
rrc715
Rennlist Member

AC reapired! I am only adding this info in case any other RL has fuse box problems. What was learned is that when I removed the power wires for the phone which were inserted into the fuse box with the fuses. The installer used connectors that slipped over the terminals of the fuses subsequently spreading the receiving prongs more than normal. Once the fuses were re-inserted without the added connectors they lost contact with the prongs, which were spread ever so slightly. This broke the circuit however when the fuses were examined they were good. This turned out to be simple, now that we know, but completely stumped me as I retraced all of my "tampering" too many time to count. To repair the problem one of two options. 1. Replace the entire fuse panel $1100.00 or 2. place the connectors back onto the fuses and re-insert them re-establishing contact $0. Lesson learned! I hope this information helps anyone dealing with a simple fuse changes in the future as the fuse box prongs are very delicate. Thanks to those of you who provided some feedback. RRC715

Quick Reply: Removed old Phone system now A/C not working