993 Forum 1995-1998

Spring selection

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Spring selection

The next stage in getting my car sorted is a corner balance and full alignment. Before I spend the time and money doing this properly, I want to make sure my setup is sound so I don't have to do it again for awhile.

I want the car at ROW sport height and alignment specs, it will primarily be a street toy with a few DE's thrown in at Mosport. Not looking at building a hardcore track appliance, just want a sound setup to develop my skills on.

The car currently has the following changes from stock;
- Bilstein HD's
- Eibach springs
- Tarett rear toe links with locks (oem links were toast)
- Walrod bushings in the front lcas
- 18x8 and 18x10 wheels with 225/265 rubber

The HD's and Eibachs came with the car; from searches it appears the Eibach springs are not held in high regard. I also understand the HD's don't have optimal valving for the 993 chassis, but I'd like to keep them for now (better shocks are not in the cards at the moment).

What's the best spring choice for me (tons of opinions via search but little technical basis)? Would it be worth me swapping in some M030 or H&Rs over the existing Eibachs or a waste of time/money? Are there other options out there such as racing springs which could be purchased in appropriate rates?

I plan on also adding some turbo or M030 sways which I presume would factor into spring selection. Beyond these mods I don't plan on taking the suspension much further until my driving skill warrants it.

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:21 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Originally Posted by Top-Gun
- Bilstein HD's
- Eibach springs
The issue is do you like the ride and level of control you have now. If unsure I would see if you can get some seat time in some other Rennlister's car for a qualitative comparison. Here is a chart you may find useful"
Attached Images
Old 09-01-2014, 06:38 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

If you are doing DE events I would suggest going directly to the RS Sway Bars.
The benefit is Adjustability. Get your Parts from Sunset.

I hear the Turbo Sway /s is a n Option although the M030 is close.

I have had the Bilstein's with M030 Chassis & M030 22MM Front & 20 MM Rear Sways for 2 Years.
I would also suggest you remove your rear sway bar Bushings to ensure they are not worn out. Replacing these will chanage your ride.

Initially I spent a few days at the Dentist But the HD's Struts settled in to a good Highway / Cornering ride But Not too compatible with City Roads. Mind you I am also running ROW Springs so she rides Low or Lower - Not as Low as the PSS 9 or 10 though.

Last edited by TJ993; 09-01-2014 at 06:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-02-2014, 12:49 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the info,

I don't mind how the car drives now but I haven't spent any track time with it so I wouldn't know what I was missing with a different spring.

My primary concern was that the rates/height of the Eibachs were wrong for the HD struts on a 993. I haven't been able to drum up the rates for these springs to compare to M030's or H&Rs.

As a data point you can in fact obtain ROW sport ride height with Eibachs and Bilstein HDs. You end up with the collars almost to the top on the front but it's doable and leaves a few threads for fine tuning corner weights.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:12 PM
fozzie bear
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, my independent service shop recommended Eibach sport springs with Bilstein HDs as his go-to upgrade from stock.

However, I ended up going with full PSS10s, so I don't have hands on experience myself with this combination.

My thought would be - try your current setup in autocross or a DE and see if you're happy with it at that level. If you're not one for autocross or DE's, and you don't have any specific complaints about feel and handling on the road, I'd leave well enough alone. That's my approach at least.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:20 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Originally Posted by fozzie bear
For what it's worth, my independent service shop recommended Eibach sport springs with Bilstein HDs as his go-to upgrade from stock.
Interesting as I believe the H&R coilover kits include rebranded Bilstein struts valved to match the H&R progressive springs that are included in the kit.
Andy
Old 09-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Top-Gun
The next stage in getting my car sorted is a corner balance and full alignment. Before I spend the time and money doing this properly, I want to make sure my setup is sound so I don't have to do it again for awhile.

I want the car at ROW sport height and alignment specs, it will primarily be a street toy with a few DE's thrown in at Mosport. Not looking at building a hardcore track appliance, just want a sound setup to develop my skills on.

- Bilstein HD's
- Eibach springs

The HD's and Eibachs came with the car; from searches it appears the Eibach springs are not held in high regard. I also understand the HD's don't have optimal valving for the 993 chassis, but I'd like to keep them for now (better shocks are not in the cards at the moment).

What's the best spring choice for me (tons of opinions via search but little technical basis)? Would it be worth me swapping in some M030 or H&Rs over the existing Eibachs or a waste of time/money? Are there other options out there such as racing springs which could be purchased in appropriate rates?

I plan on also adding some turbo or M030 sways which I presume would factor into spring selection. Beyond these mods I don't plan on taking the suspension much further until my driving skill warrants it.

Thanks.
Nothing wrong w/ Eibach springs, they should be marked w/ a series of #s
something like 0900.225.0600, this is the length in mm, ID in inches and spring rate in #/in.

Check yours to see what you have

I'd strongly urge you to add Elephant sport rubber bushes for the front A-arms and RS rear A-arms and RS rear KT link, the sole remaining rear link is the camber link, stock is ok for that if it's in good shape.

ride height is determined by a combination of spring length and collar positioning, the ratio of front to rear spring rate determines the basic handling traits of the car, you can use much heavier springs w/o a deteriorated ride if the shocks receive a digressive revalve, w/ the stock shocks, The usual split f/r is 100 to 200#s, lower is more under-steer, higher is more over-steer, split the difference if you don't know what you want, ie 150# difference from 600/750 w/ digressive shocks or 400/550 w/ stock Bilsteins. For referance stock RS is 250-308/375-508(variable rate), M030 150-200/225-275

RS sways are a definite plus
Old 09-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by fozzie bear
My thought would be - try your current setup in autocross or a DE and see if you're happy with it at that level. If you're not one for autocross or DE's, and you don't have any specific complaints about feel and handling on the road, I'd leave well enough alone. That's my approach at least.
+1.

Based on your post, you are already starting at a good platform.

If you do purchase turbo sways, make sure you get the ROW rear sway. This is thicker vs. North American Turbos.

Quick Reply: Spring selection