Accident..

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 06:17 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by ricster
fix it and sell it before the carfax hits.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:30 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I assume the red truck owner's insurance will be paying for it. (i doubt he can pay you out of his pocket for the repair)
His insurance may try to sway you into a body shop on their "approved" list...
Old 09-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Glad that you were uninjured - and condolences for your car: it is repairable, and I agree with tcs's approach to that.
I hope that your insurance is a full value type set at appraised market: if not, then it is more problematic to anticipate the assurance carriers response to the adjusters report: on that note, your thought of receiving a cheque for the cost of replacement bits and then paying for a fill & paint job is precisely why (most) insurance companies directly pay the repair shops invoice.

The flippant, but presumably serious carfax comment by a poster is quite indicative of the value and regard many hold for such reports ... properly repaired, your car will be as it was ----- but not in the eyes of the believers .

If you want a huge laugh, slip over to the vehicles for sale and scan my C4S for sale ad ---- 11 years ago, the passenger door & rocker were damaged, albeit more severely so than yours - door frame was untouched. Long story short, it was repaired and recertified - clearly stated in the ad copy . This legitimately resulted in leaving a rebuilt tag on the Title - a fact that was clearly communicated to each interested party. Despite this, an 'unclean carfax' aroused the sensibilities of some - and the drama queens are still having hissy fits ... and the door looks and functions as new after 11 years.
Anyway, be mindful of the carfax comments ...

Originally Posted by dmurchison
Thanks everyone, man replacing the door sounds like a mess of work to be done to the car. tcsracing1 is right, it's not that bad the door that is. I don't know if want some door from a dismantled car. I like the "keep everything original idea" but I guess I wont know how bad door is until someone looks at it. And since it's labor day tomorrow I wont hear from the insurance adjuster until Tuesdays.

I don't if its possible to get a check from insurance for the cost of "replacing the door" but then just have the dents repaired. Never been in an accident before.

Ya i really don't know how good or bad Bert Smith Porsche collision center is. Anyone know or had work done there in St. pete?

Also ya i remember reading on here to get diminished value. Something that will take research i'm sure.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:42 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I don't plan to go through my insurance (Geico) and am in the process in filing a claim with the person who hit me insurance (Nationwide (depositors)).

I don't plan on ever selling the car, seeing as I inherited it from my father. But I obviously rather nothing appear on the carfax. So if the work is done at the dealer, it's automatically on the carfax?

thanks

Originally Posted by Garth S
Glad that you were uninjured - and condolences for your car: it is repairable, and I agree with tcs's approach to that.
I hope that your insurance is a full value type set at appraised market: if not, then it is more problematic to anticipate the assurance carriers response to the adjusters report: on that note, your thought of receiving a cheque for the cost of replacement bits and then paying for a fill & paint job is precisely why (most) insurance companies directly pay the repair shops invoice.

The flippant, but presumably serious carfax comment by a poster is quite indicative of the value and regard many hold for such reports ... properly repaired, your car will be as it was ----- but not in the eyes of the believers .

If you want a huge laugh, slip over to the vehicles for sale and scan my C4S for sale ad ---- 11 years ago, the passenger door & rocker were damaged, albeit more severely so than yours - door frame was untouched. Long story short, it was repaired and recertified - clearly stated in the ad copy . This legitimately resulted in leaving a rebuilt tag on the Title - a fact that was clearly communicated to each interested party. Despite this, an 'unclean carfax' aroused the sensibilities of some - and the drama queens are still having hissy fits ... and the door looks and functions as new after 11 years.
Anyway, be mindful of the carfax comments ...
Old 09-01-2014, 12:58 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ricster
fix it and sell it before the carfax hits.
Note to self............NEVER, EVER buy anything from Ricster.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:12 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't plan on ever selling the car, seeing as I inherited it from my father. But I obviously rather nothing appear on the carfax. So if the work is done at the dealer, it's automatically on the carfax?

thanks
No insurance claim, no Carfax.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:27 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by six gun
No insurance claim, no Carfax.
Good for owner, bad for eventual buyer. Unfortunately nothing is forever...
Old 09-01-2014, 01:40 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks everyone. I was so pissed and just shocked it happened. I was stopped too just crazy that this would happen. I would be more mad but seeing the hook of the trailer almost killed me as it was spinning, i'm more thankfull i guess.

I never would think to replace the door, it opens and close fine, but i dont really remember how perfect it is. I need to inspect better tomorrow. Now I usually like to have work done at Superior www.superiorautobodyshop.com where they do a lot of expensive cars and do a great job. OR should I have the repair done at the porsche dealer collision center? Where I would assume it's "guaranteed" work. (Bert smith porsche st. pete)

And ya the guy was yelling "whyd i hit a porsche"..... To picture him, think of a white red neck type person with old truck. That man didn't even apologize. I still cant belive after everything he hooked up the trailer back to his truck and most likely drove off. I had already left.

Thanks all
Are you in Tampa or St. Pete? If Tampa, just head west on Hillsborough to the split with 580. Some of the finest body work is done in that area. THE best is at Special Cars Only on Douglas off Race Track. (They did the 1961 Ferrari TRI/ that won the Concours d'Sport at Amelia Concours in 2006) But, Keith & Jim are booked for 1-1/2 years at this point. Just SW on Marlborough St. is Merick's. A PCA friend had his "Black Edition" hit by an 18-wheeler last year on the "Smokies Tour" and it was repaired by Merick and some mechanical work by Dan Royster (right next to Special Cars). Result is absolutely perfect. I was just at both shops a couple of days ago with a neighbor who just bought a Boxter GTS (will be joining PCA & RL) & needs to have some body repair and a good paint job on his '79 Trans Am. And, Special Cars is a regular stop to visit when I have my Targa serviced by Dan Royster or, we just published an issue of Vintage Motorsport that I think will interest Keith & Jim.

Superior is a good production shop I'm told. But, Gene Perez is another local (St. Pete/Clearwater) who has been mentioned, I think by one of the guys in the paint shop I buy from at 19 & NE Coachman. Don't know anything about either to the detail of the guys above.

As for Bert Smith, I'm sure you know that they are great supporters of the Suncoast Region PCA. My only experience with them was a "neutral" one with my BMW X5d. Battery died & they would only charge it. Whereas, Mercedes replaced my wife's E350 battery no-questions-asked 2 weeks earlier. Her car was a year older than the X5.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:48 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Should have mentioned diminished value too.

"Black Edition" I mentioned above had VERY extensive documentation of that. If you would like the name of the guy who did the "D.V.' report, PM me & I'll get you in contact with the party. I'll be seeing the owner this afternoon and will check on his progress with the trucking company's insurance carrier in that regard.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:57 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Out of no where the guys trailer broke off a guys truck spun off the road and hit my drivers side.
How the hell does a trailer come off a ball if it is latched and connected by two safety chains?

I don't even see any holes where the safety chains can attach to on that bumper.

Amazing!
Old 09-01-2014, 03:06 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Lot of folks don't connect the safety chains. There was an organized bicycle ride in our area when a trailer did the same with out safety chains attached and killed 2 bicyclists. Even a law doesn't matter to some.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:19 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by ble2011
Lot of folks don't connect the safety chains. Even a law doesn't matter to some.
Like I stated in my post....amazing!

And if that accident (nothing accidental about it really - its negligence) resulted in a death, what would happen to that driver? A fine, jail time, lawsuit...the latter kind of pointless since they usually are broke.

Last edited by IXLR8; 09-01-2014 at 04:03 PM. Reason: added text
Old 09-02-2014, 12:51 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know I don't think the chains were connected. But who knows.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:47 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

First off - glad you are okay. Second, the car doesn't look too bad.

That looks like your typical Fla BS. You see these hillbilly trailers everywhere in North Fla and South GA. I'm surprised he even has the trailer tagged. If he hadn't, I bet he'd of hauled tail.

I had a guy rear end me the other day when I was driving my truck (F350). He slammed into my trailer hitch with his 80's jelly bean caprice that was "donked" out. He and his buddy just sat in the car as I got out to inspect. They didn't say boo to me. I had some of his paint on my hitch and his bumper was folded under his car. I yelled to him, "Don't worry about getting out. My truck is just fine. Your car is all f$#@ed up though."
Old 09-02-2014, 06:19 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stgear
I had a guy rear end me the other day when I was driving my truck (F350). He slammed into my trailer hitch with his 80's jelly bean caprice that was "donked" out. He and his buddy just sat in the car as I got out to inspect. They didn't say boo to me. I had some of his paint on my hitch and his bumper was folded under his car. I yelled to him, "Don't worry about getting out. My truck is just fine. Your car is all f$#@ed up though."
^ Solid Gold.

Those idiotic Caprices, Crown Victorias, etc. are the rolling resumes of an every-growing segment of society that distinguishes itself by endless acts of moronic stupidity. One can only face palm.

Andreas

Quick Reply: Accident..