993 Forum 1995-1998

Any Pilots Here?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 01:34 PM
Jwolf427
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Pilots Here?

I just enrolled in ground classes and start September 2nd. Any one here with their private pilot license want to start me off with some good habits before I start developing bad ones?
Old 08-28-2014, 01:53 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my PPL in the UK a few years ago, and fly here now. You will be taught/trained good habits during your course, and the challenge will be keeping those up and not sliding back when you are largely on your own - i.e. checklists, frequent instrument scans, FREDAC checks, keep your eyes outside the cockpit. Too many to name, but be **** about it, and don't treat it like driving a car. Its as much fun if not more, but not always so forgiving. Do a search because there are some other pilot threads here I seem to remember, and also a least a couple commercial pilots on the board, besides us lowly PPLs.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:58 PM
Jwolf427
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deekay911
I did my PPL in the UK a few years ago, and fly here now. You will be taught/trained good habits during your course, and the challenge will be keeping those up and not sliding back when you are largely on your own - i.e. checklists, frequent instrument scans, FREDAC checks, keep your eyes outside the cockpit. Too many to name, but be **** about it, and don't treat it like driving a car. Its as much fun if not more, but not always so forgiving. Do a search because there are some other pilot threads here I seem to remember, and also a least a couple commercial pilots on the board, besides us lowly PPLs.
Thanks for the advise Deekay911.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:59 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pick a good CFI, not some kid that's building time for a career in another aviation field.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:28 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
Pick a good CFI, not some kid that's building time for a career in another aviation field.
+ 1000 Good CFI is worth his/her weight in gold
Old 08-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Jwolf427
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by six gun
+ 1000 Good CFI is worth his/her weight in gold
I am going up in the air on Sunday with a CFI that has over 16,000 hours of flight time.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:39 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

"He is most free from danger, who, even when safe, is on his guard."

— Publilius Syrus
Old 08-28-2014, 02:41 PM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a ton of pilots here! There's even its own forum. https://rennlist.com/forums/aviation-172/ There are a bunch of smaller commercial pilots hanging around (I purchased my 993 from a Falcon pilot) and theres also an F-18 pilot running around. How will you know? Its like the running joke, "How can you tell if a pilot is at your party? They will tell you!" A lot of time its in their usernames or avatars. I myself came to Pensacola for flight school, I tried it but discovered that flying just wasn't the right thing for me. If you are starting military flight training that is a bit different flying style than commercial.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:49 PM
01coccobet
Racer

bad habits are always a threat
good-ones are safer
What kind of advises are you looking for?
Old 08-28-2014, 03:53 PM
USMCF18
Track Day

A great instructor with substantial time is a huge help, but they are all pretty standardized these days. The technique with which they instruct is I think far more important, as you can be very easily turned off if their personality type does not match. Look for the quiet professional who knows what they are about, is firm in his/her standards, and is not prone to excitement or embellishment. In terms of bad habits, from my perspective of flying tactical jets for the last 16 years I have this to offer. Be relentless and meticulous in your studying and preflight planning. Once your wheels leave the deck and things start moving in miles per minute, your IQ goes down by at least 50 points and seemingly simple thought processes suddenly become hard. The more you sweat on the ground, the less you will in the air when things change...and they always do. No flight ever goes as briefed. Part in parcel to that is know your Emergency Procedures (EP's). Cold. Period. Trust me, when the spinning thing in front stops spinning and you start sucking up the seat cushion, there is no time to be heads down fiddling through a checklist. Lastly, HAVE FUN! An infectious positive attitude and a genuine willingness to learn will be your greatest asset, and you are embarking on one of the great adventures known to man. Enjoy it!
Old 08-28-2014, 03:59 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by USMCF18
A great instructor with substantial time is a huge help, but they are all pretty standardized these days. The technique with which they instruct is I think far more important, as you can be very easily turned off if their personality type does not match. Look for the quiet professional who knows what they are about, is firm in his/her standards, and is not prone to excitement or embellishment. In terms of bad habits, from my perspective of flying tactical jets for the last 16 years I have this to offer. Be relentless and meticulous in your studying and preflight planning. Once your wheels leave the deck and things start moving in miles per minute, your IQ goes down by at least 50 points and seemingly simple thought processes suddenly become hard. The more you sweat on the ground, the less you will in the air when things change...and they always do. No flight ever goes as briefed. Part in parcel to that is know your Emergency Procedures (EP's). Cold. Period. Trust me, when the spinning thing in front stops spinning and you start sucking up the seat cushion, there is no time to be heads down fiddling through a checklist. Lastly, HAVE FUN! An infectious positive attitude and a genuine willingness to learn will be your greatest asset, and you are embarking on one of the great adventures known to man. Enjoy it!
Best advice, ever!!!!
Old 08-28-2014, 04:05 PM
Jwolf427
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by USMCF18
Thank you for the great advise!
Old 08-28-2014, 05:08 PM
993/907
Pro

"Situational awareness"; may not mean much to you yet, but it will!

Gordo
Old 08-28-2014, 05:28 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Lots of pilots here. Check out the aviation section down at the bottom of the forum list. As said above, the pilots are mostly easy to pick out by our screen names.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:29 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwolf427
I just enrolled in ground classes and start September 2nd. Any one here with their private pilot license want to start me off with some good habits before I start developing bad ones?
Don't let circumstances or other people's priorities rush you into a bad decision.

have fun
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Pilots Here?