Old 09-01-2014, 05:31 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by waydeki
Why are you getting a pilots license?

I'm a private pilot but curious.
Now there is a good one.

Now there is nothing wrong with going though with it as a personal challenge, but of all the students I instructed that got their PPL, it was interesting to see that once they got their licence, they would take their friends up till I guess they ran out of interested parties and then you hardly ever saw them again. The novelty must have worn off.

If you love flying, what is wrong with going up alone and practicing. For example, with a good cross wind, do circuits and keep it rolling on one wheel for a 1000 feet down the runway...provided you have good control and coordination.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:18 PM
3healey
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

From my first flight instructor (thank you, Ken Hanson, wherever you are): "Never let the airplane take you someplace your mind hasn't already been."
Old 09-02-2014, 02:50 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lowflying
Practice and more practice is key. Want to fly in style? my style......Porsche Mooney PFM (M20L).,cheers.
Look familiar?
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2014, 02:57 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,363 Likes on 512 Posts

Congrats on taking the first step. I have been flying for 23 years (started at age 13) and still love it to this day. Flew from western Montana home (Columbus OH) yesterday and nothing beats the view, the flexibility and the comfort of flying your own plane. Plus, I was able to bring my dog, 2 rifles, a shotgun, several pistols, a bunch of ammunition and a HUGE bottle of shampoo without any TSA interference.

Here is my plane with one of the Porsches.
Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2014, 12:09 AM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Now there is a good one.

Now there is nothing wrong with going though with it as a personal challenge, but of all the students I instructed that got their PPL, it was interesting to see that once they got their licence, they would take their friends up till I guess they ran out of interested parties and then you hardly ever saw them again. The novelty must have worn off.

If you love flying, what is wrong with going up alone and practicing. For example, with a good cross wind, do circuits and keep it rolling on one wheel for a 1000 feet down the runway...provided you have good control and coordination.
I ask because motivation is key. And purpose makes the difference. I don't have a ton of planes in my history but Ive flown a 172, 182, vtail, baron, maule, super cub amphib, and a j3 cub on straight floats and a hand prop 90hp motor. The cub was the most fun but it makes you lazy because it's slow and forgiving and eventually you are circling the shore to take off from very small bodies of water. Lots of those around here. Eventually you want to up the ante. Sometimes half-hoping for an engine failure to see if you can safely land it.

I now occasionally fly a 182 but don't miss it much. Keeping aviation interesting makes a 993 look
Like chump change.

Btw i Liken the 993 as the bonanza of cars...authentic and solid.

Last edited by nowata; 09-03-2014 at 12:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Any Pilots Here?