Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brake Job/Holiday Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 12:27 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Brake Job/Holiday Weekend

Kinda looking forward to the holiday. I've had rotors, pads, brake lines, etc...in stock for about a year. My brake warning light finally came on, during my fast romp down Hwy 1 thru From Carmel to San Simeon thru Big Sur last weekend. So after PCA Cars & Coffee Saturday, she goes up on the lift for some love.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:43 AM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Interested to hear if your shoes fit (if you plan to replace those). The ones I ordered were 997 part numbers (confirmed correct by sunset) and they don't correctly fit into the slots.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:20 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cant wait to hear more ed, should be a fun run thru the stopper refresh. Gotta love new brakes they sure feel smooth
Old 08-28-2014, 11:37 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lopro
cant wait to hear more ed, should be a fun run thru the stopper refresh. Gotta love new brakes they sure feel smooth
Indeed they do!
Old 08-29-2014, 03:04 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by therossinator
Interested to hear if your shoes fit (if you plan to replace those). The ones I ordered were 997 part numbers (confirmed correct by sunset) and they don't correctly fit into the slots.
Shoes? For the parking brake?

Andreas
Old 08-29-2014, 11:33 AM
therossinator
Pro

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Shoes? For the parking brake?

Andreas
Exactly. The material thickness of the shoes was to big for the slots they are supposed to fit into.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:03 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by therossinator
Exactly. The material thickness of the shoes was to big for the slots they are supposed to fit into.
Maybe I'm missing something...very possible...but why would you need to replace your parking brakes shoes? Should those not last forever?
Old 08-29-2014, 12:12 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Dont know if this makes any difference, but did you back all the way out on the star adjuster?

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...g-console.html
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2014, 05:28 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen
Maybe I'm missing something...very possible...but why would you need to replace your parking brakes shoes? Should those not last forever?
Rare, but occasionally you'd have a less-than-skilled owner who'd make it a point to drive with the parking brake still somewhat engaged. It was more of a lining crumbling event, rather than them wearing down such that they needed to be replaced.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:00 PM
Luckster
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed, can you take some pics of the spiders and how they install with pads, I bought all the parts to do a complete brake job and will tackle this in a couple of weeks. I've got the Bentley manual but it doesn't show how the spiders are installed. And if you could add any tips to make the job easier, that would be appreciated, I'm replacing the rotors, pads and sensors. This is my first real on hand job with my 993. TIA
Old 08-30-2014, 01:01 AM
therossinator
Pro

Originally Posted by nine9six
Dont know if this makes any difference, but did you back all the way out on the star adjuster?

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...g-console.html
See the slot in the third item in your picture, it was to thin. The shoes sit in the slot and the shoe material was too thick. I hadn't seen my shoes before purchasing, figured better to have them and not want then than to want them and not have them. However, they were aftermarket with still a lot of meat. Would have been nice to put the new ones on though.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:19 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckster
Ed, can you take some pics of the spiders and how they install with pads, I bought all the parts to do a complete brake job and will tackle this in a couple of weeks. I've got the Bentley manual but it doesn't show how the spiders are installed. And if you could add any tips to make the job easier, that would be appreciated, I'm replacing the rotors, pads and sensors. This is my first real on hand job with my 993. TIA
Luckster,
Once you pull the calipers and pads, you will see exactly how the spiders install. Its not rocket surgery...
They actually press into the bore of the caliper pistons. Pistons on the front calipers are different sizes, (larger and smaller) dia. This is the reason for the different sized spiders.
As soon as you see it, you'll get it
Old 08-30-2014, 12:04 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 829 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckster
remove calipers
compress pistons
remove pads
clean calipers
peel paper from spiders
place spiders in pistons
install new pads
slide and fasten calipers in place
squeeze brake pedal
voila, spiders are installed

you can sort out the rotor and sensor replacement from there
Old 08-30-2014, 01:53 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,027 Posts

i would be surprised if the parking shoes need replacement as they are subject to very little use in motion. My experience has been that if I use the standard dealer supplied pads with the spiders it will result in a quiet bake system. With aftermarket pads, even ones made by the OE supplier, not-so-much. It is a little tricky to get the pads in with the spiders in place. i ended up putting the spiders in place in the caliper cups and pealing back the adhesive.
Once done I slid the pads into position. To get everything in and to clear the spider's adhesive face prior to having the pads fully seated in the caliper I chamfered the inside (concave edge of the friction material on the pads to increase clearance.
Hope this helps,
Andy
Old 08-31-2014, 03:55 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Pretty much the drill. I used a painter's knife to separate the spiders from the pads. You remove the backing paper from the spiders and they aren't super sticky-allows you to slide the pads in.

I think I got my use out of the pads. Funny, I'd have cringed if I ever let the pads on my '84 get down that much, when I was in my tracking days.

Went out this morning and bedded the pads in. I love the Porterfield R4S compound.

Originally Posted by cgfen
remove calipers
compress pistons
remove pads
clean calipers
peel paper from spiders
place spiders in pistons
install new pads
slide and fasten calipers in place
squeeze brake pedal
voila, spiders are installed

you can sort out the rotor and sensor replacement from there