993 Forum 1995-1998

Vintage seats in a 993?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 04:59 PM
callipygian 911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vintage seats in a 993?

Has anyone ever considered adding vintage-style Porsche racing seats to a 993, like these beauties?

Vintage Seats (no affiliation) makes attractive and stronger recreations of the original ST seat, which I'm partial to.

http://vintageseats.com/products/st-seat

After all, Singer tends to put similar-styled seats in their masterpieces. Aside from the flared rear arches, the design cues of Singer tend to cleave quite closely that of earlier MY 911's, so it does provide a sort of aesthetic harmony that might be lacking if these were put in a 993. Then again, perhaps not. What do you think?

It looks like these seats might actually be more supportive around the hips and lower torso than stock 993 sport seats, perhaps lending better stability through cornering. Perhaps not. Thoughts?

They're beautiful, light, and strong. What could be better? Am I crazy?
Old 08-20-2014, 05:10 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here are a couple of thoughts:

1) No folding so no easy rear seat access.

2) For this back-dating look to 'work', you'd have to do a lot more to the 993 to make it fit in. I'm thinking FUCH-like wheels, Duck Tail, Vintage style side-script, coco mats in the interior, possibly some more retro-style door card and dash modifications.

The Singer look 'works' because it is a comprehensive redesign. While I love the look of these seats, I think they'd just look out of place without some addition back-date inspired modifications to the car.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:10 PM
Kacey
Instructor

Beautiful no doubt.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:17 PM
linen grey ghost
Racer

It's your car - why not have it the way you want it?

Just preserve all the original parts in case of future sale and new owners wishes to return to stock.

Would wonder how comfortable these seats would be for multi-hours in the saddle road trips, as lumbar support looks meager.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:23 PM
callipygian 911
Racer

I spoke with the owner of Vintage Seats last year, and they are able to customize these any way you'd like, including the following:

1) Install a bracket on the passenger seat that allows it to rotate up and forward for rear-seat access. This adds about a half an inch to the height of the seat.
2) Extra lumbar padding
3) The backs can be painted to match your exterior, which in my case is Guards Red
4) They can match the rest of your interior, which in my case is Cashmere
5) Harness holes are an option

I have the Cocomats already in place! I went with "Jaspe" and I'm very pleased.

Last edited by callipygian 911; 08-20-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:40 PM
sonett43
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got those seats, Vintage seats in my '79 SC, and I've driven cross-country and beyond in it, I've loved every minute of the drive, and wouldn't change a thing. They weigh practically nothing, compared to the ridiculous weight of the 993 seats.

go for it!
Old 08-20-2014, 05:54 PM
callipygian 911
Racer

sonett43,

That's really great to know. Thanks for the insight. Can you speak to how they compare to 993 stock seats or 993 sport seats in terms of holding your body during hard cornering?
Old 08-20-2014, 06:04 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Have you considered Recaro Pole position seats? They are period correct and vintage
Old 08-20-2014, 06:07 PM
sonett43
Rennlist Member

I find they hold me better. I had stock seats in my 964, and now factory sport seats. I feel they hold my torso well, but not neccesarily my whole body. The vintage seats (specifically the ST and RS seats) hold my whole body very well....I'm around a 42" waist, that's pretty important, I'd think if you were much wider, they wouldn't be very comfortable.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:23 PM
callipygian 911
Racer

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
Have you considered Recaro Pole position seats? They are period correct and vintage
Yeah, Pole Positions were the first thing I considered when I started looking at seat options. They're certainly still in the running in my mind as they are pretty comfortable and light. Too bad they don't come in Cashmere-colored leather.

Here are the downsides to Pole Positions (IMHO). To get a new set or PP's recovered in Cashmere-colored leather, the total would cost far more than the price of the Vintage Seats which would have the correct leather and matching painted backs. Also, I wouldn't have access the rear seats. Finally, Pole Positions, though lighter than stock seats, are still heavier than the ST's. I forget the exact weight difference, but I checked last year. Vintage Seats' ST's are extremely lightweight yet still strong and supportive.

A third option is to convert my non-sports seats into sports seats when I recover them. Autobahn Interiors in Solana Beach do this by welding shoulder bars onto the frame, but the end result will be pretty heavy.

I'm also open to any other ideas.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:28 PM
callipygian 911
Racer

Originally Posted by sonett43
I find they hold me better. I had stock seats in my 964, and now factory sport seats. I feel they hold my torso well, but not neccesarily my whole body. The vintage seats (specifically the ST and RS seats) hold my whole body very well....I'm around a 42" waist, that's pretty important, I'd think if you were much wider, they wouldn't be very comfortable.
Wow! Seriously? During hard-cornering? I always wondered if this was the case, but and a little surprised that I might have been right about this. ST seats are starting to seem like a better and better idea...
Old 08-20-2014, 06:47 PM
Seamless
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

IMO, the interior of the 993 is 'vintage'. I agree with others that these seats would look great if combined with some other bolt-on items.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:14 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Personally, I think you should do what you want. I like vintage but I am vintage myself.

But I would want to test sit the seats first to make sure you like how they fit you.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:52 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

pole positions are the only way to go. 993 is too modern for vintage.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:59 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Josh,
Sit in my 996 Euro GT3 seats some time. I think they are nearly Recaro Pole Positions, but minor differences. I only sat in them 2x before shelling out the $$$$... However, those seats you show above are pretty sweet.

Quick Reply: Vintage seats in a 993?