993 Forum 1995-1998

Shout-out to LA Dismantler

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 02:54 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Shout-out to LA Dismantler

I have previously posted my positive experiences with LA Dismantler and have read those of many other RLers. This is another big shout-out for the company. They are a terrific organization and a great resource in my opinion, based on my dealings with them. This post was prompted by my experience today,

I am converting 3-stalk Carrera 2 steering column switches to the 4-stalk switches of a Tip/TT. This will show basic ECU info on a Tip/TT Tach display. My dealer (Sunset) was unable to provide just the Tach connectors. I would have to buy the entire dash wiring harness if I wanted to do the project, and that is a much more expensive mod. LAD to the rescue (again). They provided the Tach-only connection to the steering column. Being able to can get parts of parts is a huge resource, and it makes doing mods fun instead of a PITA.

There are numerous RL posts that share my positive experiences with the crew at LAD, and for anyone sliding down the slope it is really nice to have them available. There have been RL posters that complain of bad experiences with LAD. To them I can suggest that no business can operate without employee-hiccups. If you have only signed the back of a pay check and not the front, you may not understand this. More often than not, the root cause of problems is a function of unclear explanations or misunderstanding.

It has been interesting to watch LAD mature as an internet company, and I wish them the very best in the future. They have treated me as I would want and try to treat my clients. One can’t ask for much more; and they have made the mod-slope a whole lot more interesting slide.

If you are new to RL or new to sourcing parts, be sure to try LA Dismantlers!

All of the above IMHO, of course.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:56 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 542 Posts

They treated me fairly during my one experience with them.
They expect you to negotiate their initial asking price, but they also expect you to negotiate in a "respectful" manner.
If you get offended a their initial ask and get an "attitude", very unlikely you will arrive at an equitable price.

Last edited by cgfen; 07-30-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:15 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

From what I gather from their reputation, they are very expensive, and can be a nightmare if you have stuff shipped. There are horror stories about those experiences.

That said, for small stuff, and an in-person transaction, I hear they're not so bad.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:28 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
From what I gather from their reputation, they are very expensive, and can be a nightmare if you have stuff shipped. There are horror stories about those experiences.

That said, for small stuff, and an in-person transaction, I hear they're not so bad.
Yes, they are expensive and claim you can't expect to get that part any cheaper anyplace else until you mention our most famous dealership and some other used parts providers and then they start to negotiate.

I'd really like to do more business with them since they are so close, but I seem to run into this problem more often than not.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:07 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I too am a fan! Though I go there and physically inspect the parts
Old 07-30-2014, 08:13 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

They've done right by me, too. Caleb was great to work with.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:05 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

For your one plug, I can guarantee you there are 10 others with a negative review. I know a friend who was burned pretty well on a motor purchase a few years back-and they didn't remedy as one would expect. But, he was long distance, and I'd assume they'd be more cooperative with someone standing in front of them.

I think many of us know of several businesses in our community, that have none of the "hiccups" you mention. Where there's smoke, there's fire, IMO.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:57 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm with Ed on this one...
I don't think LA Dismantlers treats its clientele as customers that are likely for repeat business. This to me, is ignorant short sighted business practice that says, they DONT care one way, or the other.

This being said, I take my business to Parts Heaven, in beautiful Hayward, CA.
All the guys there are very helpful, especially Jeff and Al the owner. They will negotiate, and if you continue to do business with them, they will remember you as a repeat business customer.

This is huge in my book, and earns my respect as well as my business! The rest are less than one hit wonders in my book.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:45 AM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last edited by 600RR; 07-31-2014 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

glad LA worked out well for op. sometimes it's just one bad seed in the shop that **** off a customer....

i was not so lucky.

both LA and part haven failed to call me back with prices after repeated request. parts haven: i wanted to buy 8 rear wheels for boxster. they wanted to chk inventory and give me a price. that' was 2 years ago... i am still waiting for the phone call, despite me sold the car long ago ;-)

my first boss, my best boss, told me...
1 NEVER let phone ring more than 3x. if receptionist is out, dash to the phone and pick it up.
2. ALWAYS call customers back even if you dont have anything to sell. it's important to acknowledge that you hear them, but you were not able to be of help this time.

i dont have many 993 parts, but for GT3 used parts and take off... i dont think there are many who come close to my price for all the parts i collected over the last decade...

oklahoma foreign is not much better. in fact, i just bought something from them. and it is way below representation.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:39 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Yup, they suck.
My one and only purchase experience with LA was awful. Never again.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:46 AM
msw
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 14 Posts

my one and only purchase from la dismantlers was awesome
Old 07-31-2014, 05:28 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 600RR
So, since you deleted your challenge to my statement by asking if it was second hand BS, I could post the text of your reply by cut and paste from the RL email post notification, but I won't.

Suffice it to say I know pretty darned well what happened to a friend who bought a used 3.6 engine and shipped it to FL for install in a project. He came out on the short end on that one.

Again, too many reports of unhappy customers. Paul said it well-they don't seem to care about long term happiness.

Go find two people that will speak ill of Rennsport Systems, Elephant Racing, ERP, Rennline, Sunset, Suncoast or any other of the companies serving this community. I think you'd not be successful.

As I said, where there is smoke, there is fire.

And as to your question of my credentials, I'm director of sales of a pretty large manufacturer serving lots of customers, many of them chains, 10's of millions $ in annual sales. So, yes, I do take it serious when someone is unhappy, and will spend the money to ensure their satisfaction, so they come back for more. But, no, I don't own my own retail business, to answer your question.

The funny thing was your original post. To me, it wreaks of some kind of motive, or maybe fluff, for whatever reason. Sorry, this isn't an attack on you, but it is simply my first impression when I read it last night. Sure, lots of props for other companies pop up from time to time, but they are usually a quick one or two sentence "thumbs up", with several echoing sentiments. Yours certainly was a lot more.

But, in the end, you're happy with them, so that is a great thing.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Rennsport Systems ===> good old steve, the dude doesn't sleep answers my pestering emails at midnight. great service.

ERP, ==> best machining. even if you dont need the parts, hang them on the wall.

Sunset, Suncoast ==> great service
Old 08-01-2014, 01:20 AM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I ordered a harness and it arrived missing some critical connectors. They had been cut off. Maybe sent to 600RR? I called and they said it couldn't have happened. WTF? I'm standing there looking at a diked harness and the guy is telling me he took it out of the car himself and it has all the connectors. Finally he admits that he started the job and someone else finished the removal and ship. So he sends me another harness, the wrong one. They did give me full refund but it was a lot of frustration and time wasted.

Quick Reply: Shout-out to LA Dismantler