Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Replaced SAI check valve but still throwing code..

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:36 PM
BrandonTR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced SAI check valve but still throwing code..

I replaced after much effort this weekend the secondary air injection check valve. Before I replaced the valve I was throwing code P0410 now that the valve is replaced my CEL went on this morning and I have both P0410 and P1411. Before I drop the heat exchanger and clean the ports I thought I would see if anyone else had this problem after replacing the check valve. Did I forget to hook something up? I know I got the hose firmly attached to the top of the valve, and I got the valve screwed in. I hand tightened it and only did like a 1/2 a turn with the crows foot, should I tighten it down more?
Old 07-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you clear codes after repair? If not disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and then re-connect.

Other than that do a search here using the two codes. This has been heavily discussed.

Check the vacuum hoses and electrical connections to the pump.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:07 PM
Cortellazzi
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you check to see if the little vac hose is properly put on check valve.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:23 PM
BrandonTR
Intermediate

I did clear the code after the repair, I have read 20+ threads about these codes but all I have seen is a suggestion that there is a little "pig tail" hose that can become disconnected, I mean to check that too. I am sure the hose at the top of the valve was securely reconnected. I am not sure that the MAF was securely fastened to the air box when I put it back, but I think that would have its own code separate from the SAI system.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:21 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonTR
Before I replaced the valve I was throwing code P0410 now that the valve is replaced my CEL went on this morning and I have both P0410 and P1411.
Throwing both codes is an indicator that the little pig tail is off. Not the big hose/clamp at the top. You need to remove the airbox and use a mirror to see that it is off.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=46294
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2014, 10:29 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Brandon, agree with the others that your pig tail is most likely loose. A easy mistake to make as you can't see it at all when you are reassembling. However, as you were getting the code before you replaced the valve your ports are probably clogged and need cleaning. The pigtail fix will probably clear both codes out but my guess is only until the O2 sensor feels it's not getting enough fresh air then you'll get the original CEL again. Man '95 owners must love these threads. Do both sides when you clean of course, as a preventative measure and try and get them as clean as you can. You need to take the check valve back out to properly flush the ports so no sense in fixing the pig tail until you are ready to 'go in' in my opinion otherwise you will just end up taking your airbox off three times instead of the two if you wait This could be an opportunity to put a crush washer under the checkvalve and some antiseize on it's threads if you didn't already.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:44 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

95 owner. SAI gone. Happy Happy.......
No Vario Sad Sad.....

Trade offs....
Old 07-29-2014, 07:06 PM
BrandonTR
Intermediate

JB I did do the anti sieze, did not do the crush washer. I'm going to check the pig tail tonight because I just can't stand not knowing, but your right it would be more efficient to wait until I do the flush. I will report back soon..
Old 07-29-2014, 08:01 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 299 Posts

I second the happy '95 owner. No SAI.
Thru it in the trash 5 years ago.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:45 AM
BrandonTR
Intermediate

Ok I pulled the air box off, and found the pig tail and it was attached at the point in Mark's excellent picture, but the other side of that hose was dangling. I don't have a mirror but I felt around back there and think I found the male end for that hose. I'm not 100% sure I may have pushed it on to something totally meaningless but we will soon find out.

How important is it to get the mass AF bayonet lock to engage on the air box housing I wonder, I'm guessing it's not that important as long as the housing is engaged at that point?
Old 08-02-2014, 11:16 AM
SwayBar
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 198 Posts

How important is it to get the mass AF bayonet lock to engage on the air box housing I wonder, I'm guessing it's not that important as long as the housing is engaged at that point?
Take the time to engage it properly and know ahead of time it is difficult to do.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:36 AM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Brandon, everyone seems to jump to Conclusions with the worst case scenario. Clean the Ports. They may be right, they may not be.

Only you know how the car is being driven. Now heriditary issues you inherit.
ie: Buying a used car. Point being there are many factors and I am not the expert, thre are Many here who can provide more insights But there are quite a few parts in the sytem that wear over time that can cause CEl's.

Best to bring it to a Pro But......If u r Handy and have the time...
.... if u want to give it a go yourself here are a few of the usual suspects.

These u can check yourself:
Damage to one of the Diaphrams aka Vacuum unit - will create a Vacuum Leek.
TT Connector - shrinks over time - Vacuum Leek
Bad 02 Sensor -

Bad Gas?
Do u run 91 Octane or?
Do u use Injector Cleaner regularly and so on...

A Good mechanic has the right Software, the right unit to find the answers.
Do a Post asking who others recomend here for service in your area.

You may end up needing the Ports cleaned But atleast you gave it the old college try and perhaps even gained from the experience.
I find working on the car relaxes me, some days others well leave it till tomorrow.
Best of Luck!
TJ
Attached Images      

Last edited by TJ993; 08-02-2014 at 11:49 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-02-2014, 02:16 PM
BrandonTR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SwayBar
Take the time to engage it properly and know ahead of time it is difficult to do.
I actually got it on perfectly once I removed the MAF piece from the hose it was attached to... But trying to get it back on the hose while the MAF was attached to the box was even harder

I eventually got it but it is very tricky and that clamp started to get too loose I was worried it would rotate toward the front of the car, we may not be fully engaged on the bottom bayonet lock..
Old 08-02-2014, 02:19 PM
BrandonTR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TJ993
Brandon, everyone seems to jump to Conclusions with the worst case scenario. Clean the Ports. They may be right, they may not be.

Only you know how the car is being driven. Now heriditary issues you inherit.
ie: Buying a used car. Point being there are many factors and I am not the expert, thre are Many here who can provide more insights But there are quite a few parts in the sytem that wear over time that can cause CEl's.

Best to bring it to a Pro But......If u r Handy and have the time...
.... if u want to give it a go yourself here are a few of the usual suspects.

These u can check yourself:
Damage to one of the Diaphrams aka Vacuum unit - will create a Vacuum Leek.
TT Connector - shrinks over time - Vacuum Leek
Bad 02 Sensor -

Bad Gas?
Do u run 91 Octane or?
Do u use Injector Cleaner regularly and so on...

A Good mechanic has the right Software, the right unit to find the answers.
Do a Post asking who others recomend here for service in your area.

You may end up needing the Ports cleaned But atleast you gave it the old college try and perhaps even gained from the experience.
I find working on the car relaxes me, some days others well leave it till tomorrow.
Best of Luck!
TJ
I use 93 octane ethanol free gas and I don't use any additives or cleaners, do you think this is ok TJ?
Old 08-07-2014, 12:40 AM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Definitely YES.

I have no idea where you are, for example, I am in Toronto and all cruise all over in my 993 every chance I get.

I prefer Shell V 91 here in Toronto. Where r u?

I also add a Lucas Injector Cleaner, every couple of Tanks.

ALSO, I Use 44K - Before Oil Changes.
I buy it at a Porsche store in New York.
tHAT MAY SPARK SOME CONVERSATION HERE LOL

TJ
I use 93 octane ethanol free gas and I don't use any additives or cleaners, do you think this is ok TJ?

Quick Reply: Replaced SAI check valve but still throwing code..