993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Dad's 75th birthday present

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 09:52 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OT: Dad's 75th birthday present

Hey, guys. Long time, no type. Did the OT board get killed?

So my dad's turning 75 and I want to do something special, but not necessarily extravagant, for a present. He's super handy and loves tools and working on the house. He's also a target shooter, but not a hunter or survivalist. Not much of a wine, booze or sports team guy. Won't wear a watch nicer than Casio. Seriously. He's a Ford guy who never gave a crap about my 993, but he did help me install my Fister IIIs...'cuz I'm his kid

My default will be a $75 Harbor Freight gift card, but I'm looking for better idea. I know of no better group refined and sophisticated people to turn to for good suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:23 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is he a do it yourselfer?
Old 07-23-2014, 11:10 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

This isn't $75 worth, but it is the most useful set of bits I've ever seen. I use mine on my vehicles, lawn and garden machines and all around the house. I also get a lot of use out of a set of stainless steel picks (Like dentist's picks) that I bought from Griot's, but I don't see them online now. You can probably pick up similar sets at other retailers.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:16 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude
Hey, guys. Long time, no type. Did the OT board get killed?

So my dad's turning 75 and I want to do something special, but not necessarily extravagant, for a present. He's super handy and loves tools and working on the house. He's also a target shooter, but not a hunter or survivalist. Not much of a wine, booze or sports team guy. Won't wear a watch nicer than Casio. Seriously. He's a Ford guy who never gave a crap about my 993, but he did help me install my Fister IIIs...'cuz I'm his kid

My default will be a $75 Harbor Freight gift card, but I'm looking for better idea. I know of no better group refined and sophisticated people to turn to for good suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Giftcard to Lowes or Home Depot is your ticket. He can pick his own toys
Old 07-23-2014, 11:22 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Buy him this, an FN FiveseveN. Super accurate and very easy to shoot. Absolutely no recoil but sends a 40 grain 5.7 round at 2000 fps. 50 yard head shots all day long. :-)
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2014, 11:29 PM
cmd4
Pro

A day with you and your 993! Make a whole day of it!! kinda in the same boat myself and the older he and I gets it's all about the time you spend….Or you could make a donation to the human fund if all else fails
Old 07-24-2014, 01:16 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No Harbor Freight!!! If he is handy and loves tool, get him something nice from Snap-On (a good set) or a set of Knipex pliers. He will love it!!

Don't get him mediocre or cheap tools. I hate it when I get that stuff.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:03 AM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Since he's a Ford guy, rent a hardcore powerful Ford Mustang for the day..like a Hertz Penske GT (since you're in LA) and hang out all day doing car stuff and burning rubber.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:20 AM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Get him a snap on 3/8 ratchet. He'd think of you whenever he used it. I love mine. this one
Old 07-24-2014, 02:22 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Man, so many great replies...you guys are the best!

Originally Posted by Floodj
Is he a do it yourselfer?
Uh, yeah. A do everything yourselfer...except for paint and body!

Originally Posted by TMc993

This isn't $75 worth, but it is the most useful set of bits I've ever seen. I use mine on my vehicles, lawn and garden machines and all around the house. I also get a lot of use out of a set of stainless steel picks (Like dentist's picks) that I bought from Griot's, but I don't see them online now. You can probably pick up similar sets at other retailers.
That looks really cool, and he probably doesn't own it yet!

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Buy him this, an FN FiveseveN. Super accurate and very easy to shoot. Absolutely no recoil but sends a 40 grain 5.7 round at 2000 fps. 50 yard head shots all day long. :-)
Might be late for shootin' irons, but the flashlight gives me an idea. He's a S&W wheelgun guy and I don't think he has any high-end illumination gear.

Originally Posted by cmd4
A day with you and your 993! Make a whole day of it!! kinda in the same boat myself and the older he and I gets it's all about the time you spend….Or you could make a donation to the human fund if all else fails
Yup. Fortunately, we're going to spend three days on Smith Mountain Lake in VA with him and his grand kids, pontoon boat, maybe a Waverunner, etc. So the actual thing "in a box" is secondary.

Originally Posted by axl911
No Harbor Freight!!! If he is handy and loves tool, get him something nice from Snap-On (a good set) or a set of Knipex pliers. He will love it!! Don't get him mediocre or cheap tools. I hate it when I get that stuff.
Knipex bookmarked on Amazon.

Originally Posted by boman993
Since he's a Ford guy, rent a hardcore powerful Ford Mustang for the day..like a Hertz Penske GT (since you're in LA) and hang out all day doing car stuff and burning rubber. .
Since he's in VA, a NASCAR track experience might be good, logistics permitting.

Thanks again. Miss you guys
Old 07-24-2014, 02:27 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by therossinator
Get him a snap on 3/8 ratchet. He'd think of you whenever he used it. I love mine. this one
Wow. I agree. Next to a #2 Phillips, that's probably the most iconic, every day tool there is. Priced like something he'd never buy himself...the best measure of a gift. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Tim, near Boston
Rennlist Member

http://mach5cars.com/our-locations/v...ustang-gt-500/
Old 07-24-2014, 10:59 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

If you really want to see him smile in amazement, how about a Wera Zyklop set?

WARNING: TOOL ****:

Great price on 3/8 drive set here:

Wera 8100 SB 2 Zyklop 3/8" Metric Ratchet Set, 43-Pieces: Socket Wrenches: Amazon.com: Home Improvement Wera 8100 SB 2 Zyklop 3/8" Metric Ratchet Set, 43-Pieces: Socket Wrenches: Amazon.com: Home Improvement
Old 07-24-2014, 11:24 AM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Holy smokes, that Groits set TMc993 posted is fantastic and I'm not even much of a handyman. Buying it now.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:56 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

He's 75, a Ford a S&W wheel gun man and a targetshooter! W/o a doubt, we'd get along. I'll bet he's a member of NRA and, if not, a membership would be a nice gift. They've got a great on-line store with lots of nice items. http://home.nra.org/nrastore

Quick Reply: OT: Dad's 75th birthday present