993 Forum 1995-1998

Unable to communicate to take ECU and OBDII readings

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 02:12 PM
Leejai
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unable to communicate to take ECU and OBDII readings

Just dropped off the car to Bob @ RMG this AM. Thank goodness my car is in good hands.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Here are the bullets:

- 993 4s. Garage queen. ~32k miles.
- I do about 2k miles a year but recently she's been sitting because of my travel schedule.
- Dead battery in time for CA smog.

So I took her to Bob this AM and he called me to tell me that none of his equipment is able to communicate with the sensors - very rare in his professional (and trusted) opinion.

- Car has always been a CA car and has passed CA smog in the past.
- I may have jumped it once or twice in the past 2 years
- New battery is weeks old

I take full accountability for not driving her and letting her sit without a tender.

I'll head to DMV to see what I can do about the registration portion, though getting things fixed is def the top priority.

UPDATE 2014-07-24:

The Airbag control unit failed and was causing the issue with communicating w/ the electronics. Once disabled, we were able to communicate just fine.

Last edited by Leejai; 07-24-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:26 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I take full accountability for not driving her and letting her sit without a tender.
...As well you should!

...Maybe its time to sell to someone who can appreciate and drive the car. Otherwise, whats the point?

I wonder what diagnostics tester Bob has tried? At RMG price points, shouldn't there be a PST-2, Hammer KTS301, or PIWIS disgnostics tester on hand?
Old 07-22-2014, 02:58 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the exact problem once. Found out a battery cable connection was coming loose, so there was just enough juice coming thru the connector to make the car seem to operate normally, but not enough to allow the OBDII comm to the smog tester. IMO. Fix for me was easy: properly tighten down the cables connectors to the battery posts.

Been thru this many times with my '97 C2 Tip, and have even reset my readiness flags a couple of time over the years. I'd offer to help, but hard to believe there's anything about this that Bob doesn't already know.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:06 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 93 Posts

I had this same problem at the smog station. Car needs to be locked and then unlocked. the OB2 goes into some sort of hibernation mode if you don't try to communicate with it within 2 minutes or so of unlocking.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:10 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,019 Posts

I found the OBD handshake to the module using an older Durametric cable can be difficult at times. I find when I can't get communication going to the Engine module, I attempt to connect to one of the others such as the AC and it connects, I then retry connecting to the engine module and all is well.
Andy
Old 07-22-2014, 05:08 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the same issue with my durametric.. something isn't being grounded right (i have made sure drivelock isn't active).. someday ill go through all the wires to figure it out :S
Old 07-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Leejai
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nine9six

...Maybe its time to sell to someone who can appreciate and drive the car. Otherwise, whats the point?
Nice try though I'm not planning to part with her. It's really only this year I've had to do extended travel hence have her sit this year.

Originally Posted by TheBen
I had this same problem at the smog station. Car needs to be locked and then unlocked. the OB2 goes into some sort of hibernation mode if you don't try to communicate with it within 2 minutes or so of unlocking.
Thanks Ben. Can you clarify on the "locked and then unlocked". I mentioned this to RMG and they seemed confused by the comment as well.

Thanks all for the suggestions. We've tried replacing the battery again, isolating various control panels and so far nada is working.

RMG themselves are stumped...
Old 07-23-2014, 02:09 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

- 993 4s. Garage queen. ~32k miles.
The Ben was referring to using the remote to lock and then unlock the car and then trying to communicate with OBD II port...

The immobilizer, while in the locked state, may block communication with the ECU.

Normal operation, has the car after sitting for 3 min, should automatically arm the alarm and trigger the immobilizer into a locked state. Hence the suggestion to lock and unlock with the remote.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:21 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Leejai

Nice try though I'm not planning to part with her. It's really only this year I've had to do extended travel hence have her sit this year.

Thanks Ben. Can you clarify on the "locked and then unlocked". I mentioned this to RMG and they seemed confused by the comment as well.

Thanks all for the suggestions. We've tried replacing the battery again, isolating various control panels and so far nada is working.

RMG themselves are stumped...
To eliminate the confusion on this issue attempt to connect/communicate while the engine is idling.

That will rule out immobilizer issues.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:24 PM
Leejai
Intermediate

Originally Posted by badabing
To eliminate the confusion on this issue attempt to connect/communicate while the engine is idling.

That will rule out immobilizer issues.
Unfort we've tried to connect/comm with the engine running and we are still unable to communicate.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Its likely a K/L line continuity problem.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:50 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six

I wonder what diagnostics tester Bob has tried? At RMG price points, shouldn't there be a PST-2, Hammer KTS301, or PIWIS disgnostics tester on hand?
I understand he has all three.

As to price points, I find the shop reasonable. They usually work quickly and the quality is very high.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:06 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts

As Steve Weiner stated I've also noticed if the fuse for the interior lighting and/or trunk
Illumination is removed or not functioning the OBDII communication may not link up...
Old 07-23-2014, 09:50 PM
quacktoduck
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i found that if you have an immobilizer it will not read just like the car wont start after a certain amount of time.

i would look that way if thats the case.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:58 PM
Leejai
Intermediate

Problem solved.

The airbag control unit malfunctioned causing the whole fiasco. Once it was disabled, we were able to communicate properly w/ the electronics.

I have to say, with vehicles becoming increasingly, if not in the majority, electronics based vs mechanical based, problems such as this can give quite the scare!

Onto the drive cycle to trigger the readiness flags for CA Smog!!!

Thanks everyone for the support and help.

Quick Reply: Unable to communicate to take ECU and OBDII readings