Lowering the air pressure in the air con

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 04:09 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Lowering the air pressure in the air con

So I'm reading through the air con diagnosis threads here.

I've diagnosed and replaced a faulty footwell motor. I've diagnosed and ordered the fresh air motor (should arrive today).

I measured the pressure with the cheap replacement can kit gauge, and it shows (on the low side) it is a little high, even when running. I think it was running 25 at the lowest, 40 at the high, and going up into the red when off (hoping that's normal?).

So it seems I need to let a little out. Short of going into a shop and all that, is there a simple way to take a little out?

Thanks,
Old 07-21-2014, 04:45 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

You really need to pull a vacuum on the system, then refill it with the proper amount of refrigerant. Anything else is just hit-or-miss.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:58 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Perfectly, PERFECTLY, normal readings.

Low side will be lower with compressor clutch engaged, getting, growing higher during compressor off cycle. System off for long enough for the high/low side to equalize, >70 PSI will be normal.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:20 PM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you take the ambient temperature into account?
Old 07-21-2014, 07:01 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

It wasn't much more than about 75F out at the time. So if I read this correctly:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...diagnosis.html
it should have been 9 lbs and 16lbs , not 25 and 40. Even at 100F+, according to that link, 19 lbs would be the high cycle of the low pressure.

So it seems to me I have too much schtuff in there, no?

Seems I should start the car, warm it up, turn on the air, ensure the pressure really is in the 25-40 range as it cycles on/off, and if so, either take it someplace to suck some out, or perhaps suck up the minor environmental hit and let some out a little at a time until the pressure is ambient adjusted to something more appropriate. No?

This is of course after replacing my fresh air servo as well.

NOTE: I did reread the link and see that I didn't have the car at 2000 RPMs. I had it at idle. Not 100% sure what that will do to the pressures so I guess I have to get a helper and find out.

Last edited by JPS; 07-21-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:38 PM
willus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2000 RPM's does matter. It is surprisingly tricky (at least on my car) to get the engine to remain steady at 2000 RPM. I used a spare 2x8 jammed between the accelerator pedal and driver seat rail to set the RPMs (other adjustable length "assistants" are probably better). To get to 2000 RPM, the best approach I found was to slowly creep up on 2000RPM from below -- once I went over 2000 RPM, I pretty much had to go back to idle and slowly start ramping-up again.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:34 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by JPS
It wasn't much more than about 75F out at the time. So if I read this correctly:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...diagnosis.html

"...it should have been 9 lbs and 16lbs , not 25 and 40. Even at 100F+, according to that link, 19 lbs would be the high cycle of the low pressure..."

Where did you get those pressures, the linked post indicates a low of 37 PSI and a high of 390 PSI as the range of acceptable pressure for ther high/liquid side of the system.

So it seems to me I have too much schtuff in there, no?

Seems I should start the car, warm it up, turn on the air, ensure the pressure really is in the 25-40 range as it cycles on/off, and if so, either take it someplace to suck some out, or perhaps suck up the minor environmental hit and let some out a little at a time until the pressure is ambient adjusted to something more appropriate. No?

This is of course after replacing my fresh air servo as well.

NOTE: I did reread the link and see that I didn't have the car at 2000 RPMs. I had it at idle. Not 100% sure what that will do to the pressures so I guess I have to get a helper and find out.
Most systems will disable the compressor to prevent damage if the high side pressure falls below about 30 PSI. So ~30 PSI will be the minimum pressure you see with the compressor running full bore, flat out. Obviously that pressure will rise during the compressor off cycle, off long enough, full equalization, >70 PSI would not be unusual.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:13 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by willus
The 2000 RPM's does matter. It is surprisingly tricky (at least on my car) to get the engine to remain steady at 2000 RPM. I used a spare 2x8 jammed between the accelerator pedal and driver seat rail to set the RPMs (other adjustable length "assistants" are probably better). To get to 2000 RPM, the best approach I found was to slowly creep up on 2000RPM from below -- once I went over 2000 RPM, I pretty much had to go back to idle and slowly start ramping-up again.
+1....I had exactly the same experience. I was at a non-Porsche AC shop run by a friend. We were attempting to follow the Porsche procedure but the 2000 RPM thing was a pain. My buddy thought I was exaggerating the difficulty of holding 2000 RPM, but when he tried it, he was worse than I was. We finally were able to hold it long enough the get a stable reading, but it took more time than it should have.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:32 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Most systems will disable the compressor to prevent damage if the high side pressure falls below about 30 PSI
I was referring to the low side. I don't have an AC manifold set.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:00 AM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by JPS
I was referring to the low side. I don't have an AC manifold set.
Sorry.. If the high side falls below the point at which the compressor circuit is disabled you can be CERTAIN/SURE that the low side is equal or less.

Quick Reply: Lowering the air pressure in the air con