993 Forum 1995-1998

My first 500 miles – the good and not so good

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 02:50 AM
blackbull
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aks801
I spend a good bit of time on a couple of Cobra forums, and folks there post regularly about this kind of thing. Being paced on the freeway, engine gunning at the traffic light. Just something about being the target of a lot of envy. The aggression/hate still just makes zero sense.
Not aggression/hate but rather envy/jealousy. Deep down they want what you have!!
Old 07-23-2014, 09:42 AM
HerrDoktor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
I experience quite the opposite from regular drivers. People let me cut into their lane before exits. In my SUV I have to force my way in. In 993 I just put blinker on.

Fast cars is different story, they all find it necessary trying to race on a straight road...thankfully 993 is too slow so I don't bother.
This is my experience as well. People let me in and wave me to go first all the time. And I get waves from 996 and 997 drivers all the time. A 997 guy pulled up next to me at a stop light last Saturday to ask me about the car. My wife thought he was checking her out.

That said, every once in a while I get some ricer revving behind me and zoom past me on the highway. I try to stay the hell out of their way.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:06 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HerrDoktor
This is my experience as well. People let me in and wave me to go first all the time. And I get waves from 996 and 997 drivers all the time. A 997 guy pulled up next to me at a stop light last Saturday to ask me about the car. My wife thought he was checking her out.

That said, every once in a while I get some ricer revving behind me and zoom past me on the highway. I try to stay the hell out of their way.
Makes sense about trying to ck the woman out. Can't count how many times ya use the excuse of going down an aisle in a store that you had absolutely no need to, other than to partake in the eye candy that was down that aisle
Old 07-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

try Speed Yellow- need to be constantly alert when traveling. Back off when someone pulls along side. I can't begin to tell the stories.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:14 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I once let my girlfriend drive my 964 to the airport to catch a flight to meet me somewhere and we travelled back together. When we got to the airport parking, there was a red rose and a telephone number under the windscreen wiper - from some guy who had watched her park it Combination of the car AND the woman I think..
Old 07-23-2014, 03:15 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by deekay911
I once let my girlfriend drive my 964 to the airport to catch a flight to meet me somewhere and we travelled back together. When we got to the airport parking, there was a red rose and a telephone number under the windscreen wiper - from some guy who had watched her park it Combination of the car AND the woman I think..
Everything is wrong here. Ya let someone drive your car, let them park said car at airport, and then some other wag leaves her a note as he's touching your car. Crazy.......
Old 07-23-2014, 03:20 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Everything is wrong here. Ya let someone drive your car, let them park said car at airport, and then some other wag leaves her a note as he's touching your car. Crazy.......
At least to his knowledge, that "some other wag" isn't touching his girlfriend too. There is always a silver lining somewhere.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:34 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 291 Posts

Been a great experience here. I get more "thumbs-up" from people coming at me, and a LOT of people asking about the car when I stop at a light. Only had one Douche-Bag in a jacked up truck try and race. I just left him alone. Arena red get's a lot of looks
Old 07-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Grapeape
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

DK911 was not seen in the vehicle at drop-off so I view this as a compliment of auto and girlfriend. Besides, if all it takes is a rose from an unknown to start a romance with a girlfriend or wife, the Wag is doing you a favor.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:05 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grapeape
DK911 was not seen in the vehicle at drop-off so I view this as a compliment of auto and girlfriend. Besides, if all it takes is a rose from an unknown to start a romance with a girlfriend or wife, the Wag is doing you a favor.
My thoughts exactly! She was unusually coy about the whole thing, and I think memorized the telephone number. She was an 'ex' before long anyways...
Old 07-23-2014, 06:03 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here, pretty much no-one seems to give the 993 a second glance. The exception being other air-cooled owners, they invariably wave or thumbs-up. Seems the older the p-car the more likely the interaction.

Some of the v-dub enthusiasts interact as well, especially kids in '04 R32s...

Very rarely a young kid will stare and point, probably from seeing the movie Cars too many times. There is a family resemblance with my car and 'Sally' of course.

Or an old guy (like me) will ask about the car at the gas station..

Haven't really had much negative reaction to speak of, for most around here I might as well be driving a Camry. And that's perfectly fine by me.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Grapeape
Racer

**Update**

I have found the reason for some of the hate and the good news its not the brand name but because of a perceived inconsiderate driver.
One of the incidents that I did not mention in my first post was while approaching an intersection I made a right turn. A driver stopped at the intersection directly opposite me waiting to make a left leans on his horn to let me know he is not happy, wtf I ignore the driver.
Yesterday, while familiarizing myself with my new car, cleaning and inspecting, I realize my front right turn signal is out and works intermittently. Upon inspection there is a brake light bulb in the turn signal socket. Replaced bulb and fuse and good to go.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:03 PM
jotaking
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a great section of dual carriageway near me and in the evenings it's deserted.

I often have a blip on the straights.....respectful of car and surroundings...

I had a heavily modded VW scirocco with youngish driver and WAG in tow, he was tail gating on the straight at 80mph.

I had to floor it and spit flames on him....left him for dust.

Slowed down at roundabout and him and his girl were both doing the thumbs up as they past.

In general people seem to appreciate the old porkers and always ask about it.

That's one of the many reasons why I love these cars.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:52 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Grapeape
The Good – I absolutely enjoy driving the motor.

It seems every other import wants to race and pedestrians give me dirty looks at intersection because they think I’m speeding.
I'd give you a dirty look too if you drove a motor past me. I suggest scraping enough money together to purchase the rest of the car.

More seriously, I suggest not paying attention to others. Personally, I've been daily driving 2 993 for the last 10.5 years and have not noticed anything unusual, other than people smiling at the sight of the yellow cab.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:50 AM
Grapeape
Racer

Originally Posted by nile13
I'd give you a dirty look too if you drove a motor past me. I suggest scraping enough money together to purchase the rest of the car.
That was my weak attempt at sounding like Mike and Edd from Wheeler Dealers. I should have stated "Crack'n Mota" . I like their show because Edd provides more details and explains the repairs more than many of the other shows on today and they showcase various makes and models.

Quick Reply: My first 500 miles – the good and not so good