Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

My first 500 miles – the good and not so good

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:08 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

I was a little "overenthusiastic" with my driving when I first got my 993 and although I never endangered myself or anyone else, I know I irritated some people. As a result, I got a few cold stares, but never any overtly aggressive responses. Once I got past that stage of ownership, I've had no issues at all. That said, sports cars in general have a "bad" reputation with many people for a reason (Certain drivers) and I'm sure I contributed to that stereotype.

Last edited by TMc993; 07-22-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:33 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

never happens to me either.

I don't get any hate, or love or anything. I may as well be driving a camry.

I really wonder where people live that 20 year old 911s are causing such a stir.
We live in the same area and drive similar cars.

I get a fair amount of attention. In fact, I've noticed the only group that I doesn't pay any attention are 996/997/991 drivers.

It sounds stupid but I think a lot has to do with how shiny it is.

A couple years back before I had an all out detail and paint correction, it rarely got a second look.

The day I picked it up, and ever since, it seems to turn alot of heads and get comments, thumbs up, and offers to buy regularly.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
We live in the same area and drive similar cars.

I get a fair amount of attention. In fact, I've noticed the only group that I doesn't pay any attention are 996/997/991 drivers.

It sounds stupid but I think a lot has to do with how shiny it is.

A couple years back before I had an all out detail and paint correction, it rarely got a second look.

The day I picked it up, and ever since, it seems to turn alot of heads and get comments, thumbs up, and offers to buy regularly.
Interesting. The level of shininess has not affected the attention my car generates...which is none. Its pretty loud too from what people tell me.

I don't really care one way or another.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:01 PM
BlackCar
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are so many high end cars in the northern Philly suburbs that an 18 year old black 993 hardly gets noticed. And there are enough bad drivers in BMWs and 5 liter Mustangs to deflect attention, or am I the only one who thinks BMW drivers, especially 3 series, are arrogant and overly aggressive? Like someone said, just drive human when in traffic, and smile knowing you could smoke them if needed.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Grapeape
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by fatmike
T - I think it's the color...

Can you imagine what happens when you upgrade that exhaust! Mothers will grab their children and cower even though you are only going 5mph...

Good to hear you discovered the higher RPMs. It's called varioram-land, kinda like Disneyland except you need a 993 to go there.

(I am glad to have a part in corrupting you).

/
Mike, I would love to upgrade the exhaust but that will have to wait until I complete the upgrades on the Mustang. After driving the 911 the stock Ford suspension, steering, and brakes will be retired to the parts shelf. UPS is delivering the new parts today, pics to follow.

When I first visited Mike for the test drive I tried to pay attention to his driving technique. When it was my turn to take the wheel I stalled in first gear . Second attempt was successful but after driving a Jeep since 1986 my shift point at 2,500 rpm’s is deeply ingrained. Mike was very patient and basically told me to keep her in 2nd and take your hand off the stick and drive her, I was hooked. This is now my instruction for anyone driving in the burbs.

And what a great corruption this is although not appreciated as much by my wife. I insist on taking two cars to social events on the week-ends because my girls 5' 8" and 5' 9" refuse to sit in the back. I look forward to having that second beer with you and meeting up with some of the local RL's as well.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:22 PM
Jwolf427
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackCar
There are so many high end cars in the northern Philly suburbs that an 18 year old black 993 hardly gets noticed. And there are enough bad drivers in BMWs and 5 liter Mustangs to deflect attention, or am I the only one who thinks BMW drivers, especially 3 series, are arrogant and overly aggressive? Like someone said, just drive human when in traffic, and smile knowing you could smoke them if needed.
http://elitedaily.com/envision/cars/...s-on-the-road/
Old 07-22-2014, 02:08 PM
Grapeape
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

That's a good article I will use against my Bimmer friends. I find it hard to believe that the car you drive brings out negative traits more for one brand over another. If a negative trait exists, it will rear it's head eventually no matter what you drive which I think is supported by the article referencing Bimmer and Prius being in the same group of inconsiderate drivers.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:18 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Last "ratings" I saw on rude drivers by brand ranked drivers of BMW and Prius as the rudest. My observations in this neck of the woods confirm that, with Prius drivers being far worse than BMW drivers..
Old 07-22-2014, 09:30 PM
aks801
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spend a good bit of time on a couple of Cobra forums, and folks there post regularly about this kind of thing. Being paced on the freeway, engine gunning at the traffic light. Just something about being the target of a lot of envy. The aggression/hate still just makes zero sense.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:10 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok, here's an alternate theory.

Perhaps it is the 993 driver that is the determining factor. I, for one, have never experienced either a cold stare or someone revving their engine beside me. If either one were to happen I would just laugh and smile. Maybe the driver is expecting something consciously or otherwise. Maybe not.

The only thing I have even remotely experienced or perhaps perceived are looks of envy or admiration usually from a teen.

That reminds me, a week ago we had some friends visit accompanied by their 12 & 14 year old daughters. They were not in the door for 30 seconds and all I heard was 'where is the Porsche', 'that is too cool', etc...

Of course I took them both, individually (RSD), on their own special adventure minutes later. Immediate satisfaction takes too long. It was all $hits and giggles.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:54 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine's a plain silver Carrera-script-delete C2, stock exhaust (OE wide ovals). The last thing I want or expect is to attract attention. On the rare occasions I get noticed, it can be a bit of a shock.

True story: Once I was walking out of an Arbys and some sketchy woman followed me all the way across the lot pestering me about "what kind of car is that??". I replied "it's the new Volkswagen". She yelled over to her companions: "HE CALLED HIS PORSH A FVKK1N VOLKSWAGEN!!". She walked all around the car inspecting it, and I said, "do you see 'Porsche' anywhere?" She just gave me a baffled looked as I drove away.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:00 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vorsicht
Ok, here's an alternate theory.

Perhaps it is the 993 driver that is the determining factor.....
I thought that's what I said...

Originally Posted by TMc993
That said, sports cars in general have a "bad" reputation with many people for a reason (Certain drivers) and I'm sure I contributed to that stereotype.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:23 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I experience quite the opposite from regular drivers. People let me cut into their lane before exits. In my SUV I have to force my way in. In 993 I just put blinker on.

Fast cars is different story, they all find it necessary trying to race on a straight road...thankfully 993 is too slow so I don't bother.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:33 AM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
I thought that's what I said...
Maybe, but you didn't use the words, "alternate theory"

As we say out here, "dude, it's all good"
Old 07-23-2014, 02:15 AM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First drive with my wife we were stopped at a light when a much faster black Audi RS7 pulled up beside and wanted to race. Ignored him. Other than that I get the odd young guy in an import who comes flying up to get a look at the car.

Had the owner of a 996 C2 give me the bow down motion while stopped at a light next to him

Quick Reply: My first 500 miles – the good and not so good