Intermittent Stalling on a Hot Engine Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 02:23 PM
jotaking
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Firstly...I'm no expert.

FWIW

Seems that car runs okay when running within cold/start parameters.

When car reaches temp the "running temp" parameters cause car to stall when returning to idle with zero load.

Can the "running temp" parameters be tweaked to replicate or "closer" to "start up" parameters?

Does the car run a leaner/richer fuel mix when at running/start temp??

Hope you get it sorted.

good luck!!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:30 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jotaking
Firstly...I'm no expert.

FWIW

Seems that car runs okay when running within cold/start parameters.

When car reaches temp the "running temp" parameters cause car to stall when returning to idle with zero load.

Can the "running temp" parameters be tweaked to replicate or "closer" to "start up" parameters?

Does the car run a leaner/richer fuel mix when at running/start temp??

Hope you get it sorted.

good luck!!

So, to be honest I am less of an expert than most folks who have responded to this thread. But, one of the positives to come from my issues, is that I am learning an awful lot about the car........albeit through force feeding! It's great to have others with expertise make suggestions and ask questions. I remain convinced that this process will eventually lead to a solution with my motor.

To answer a few of the questions that have come forward. I sent the ECU to Steve Weiner who sent it out to the company that does his ECU work. Sorry, but I don't know who that company is. They were asked to perform ECU work to allow me the use of the better breathing expected from installing RS cams in the motor, along with a bump up to the RS intake valving. I assumed that this would result in some minor tweaks to raised the red line a bit and perhaps adjust the mapping slightly to capture any power increase potentials made possible with the slightly more aggressive cams.

The firm that performed the programming changes also disabled the immobilizer function of the ECU. I followed that up by replacing the engine starter relay with a jumper relay as recommended on this board by Bill V.

When we suspected the ECU, it was sent off to ECU Doctors, in Florida for evaluation testing. So, they were, indeed, a third party set of cold eyes to look over the ECU. They did not find anything amiss with the ECU. Their suggestion was to consider a reprogram of the ECU. I'm not really interested in that. So, the ECU was reinstalled in the car.

Now, there have been a few new pieces of information determined from playing with the car. My mechanic has determined that at a cold start up, when the aux air pump is activated (for about 30 seconds), that CO levels are fairly balanced between the two banks of the engine. As soon as the air pump shuts down, there is a divergence of the CO levels. One bank shows about 1% CO while the other bank moves up to a value of about 4% CO. I've been told that both values are within normal limits, but there is a question of why the CO levels would remain in close balance to one another as long as the air pump is on, and then diverge once the pump shuts down.

Coincident with the shutdown of the air pump, the engine appears to idle a little more roughly. This may be more noticeable since I replaced the OEM engine mounts with RS mounts when I rebuilt the engine.

So, I may have several things going on. The first is the phenomena of an intermittent stall condition when load is removed from the engine. The stalling does not become evident until the engine has warmed up (15 to 20 minutes after a cold engine start). And, now we have the unexplained divergence of the CO values for the engine banks once the aux air pump is deactivated.

Last edited by earossi; 09-23-2014 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Grammar clean up.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:01 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
My experience with my 3.2 was that the higher idle when cold would overcome a vac leak. When the engine heated, and the idle settled down, that's when the leak would potentially stall the motor, when load or throttle is cut off.

When they first looked at my engine, the assumption was that all the symptoms pointed to a vacuum leak. A smoke test was performed and was negative on leaks.

Then a test was performed using starter fluid which would get sprayed over suspect fittings or connections with the engine running. Classically, if the fluid hits a vacuum leak, the fluid would get drawn into the engine producing a noticeable rise in engine speed. That test was uneventful.

When I did the rebuild, I did replace all the gasketing and plastic piping and rubber connectors mostly associated with the VariRam system on the motor.

And, not to repeat myself, but we have determined that the engine is apparently, in fact, stalled at the instant that load is removed from the engine. I arrive at that conclusion from observation that when load is suddenly removed from the engine, the decay of engine speed down to idle is usually a "lazy" rundown that takes 3-4 seconds for engine speed to "drift down" to the idle that is controlled by the ISV. When I am experiencing a stall, removal of load on the engine results in an "immediate" plunge of engine speed. Instead of a 3 to 4 second "drift down", I will see an immediate drop from loaded engine speed to zero RPM in less than 2 seconds.

Though I have most noticed the stalling phenomena in the process of slowing down to a stop, I have been able to also trigger a stall running along at 3000 rpm and a road speed of about 40. At that speed, I can simply push in the clutch and the engine will immediately stall. But, not every time.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:07 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Bump to keep the thread fresh.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:04 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Ernie,

Has the idle switch been checked? I was thinking, if it was a little off, the dme would not know you were off the gas, and would not manipulate the ISV signal to hold it at idle.

Maybe it works sometime, sometimes not. Sound plausible?
Old 09-23-2014, 11:19 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by techman1
Ernie,

Has the idle switch been checked? I was thinking, if it was a little off, the dme would not know you were off the gas, and would not manipulate the ISV signal to hold it at idle.

Maybe it works sometime, sometimes not. Sound plausible?

You pose an interesting point. As I understand the throttle position switch, it is a potentiometer that tells the ECU where the throttle is at any time. My mechanic has checked the switch and has confirmed that it is working. But, your point is that it could be intermittent in operation. I'll discuss that with him.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:43 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Earlier models, ie tmy '88, had two switches. The throttle switch, which could sense throttle position, and an idle switch, which would tell the DME throttle was closed. Not sure if that has been combined in 1 switch for our 993's.

Anybody?
Old 09-24-2014, 09:44 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by techman1
Earlier models, ie tmy '88, had two switches. The throttle switch, which could sense throttle position, and an idle switch, which would tell the DME throttle was closed. Not sure if that has been combined in 1 switch for our 993's.

Anybody?

I believe that my 993 has only the one throttle position switch. It's physically attached to the end of the throttle butterfly shaft.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:22 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

If there is another one to swap in for a test, it may be productive.
I recall being able to see the throttle position in the scantool software. The mechanic should have something to watch as you drive, especially as you said you can trigger the event.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:32 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vincer77
If the DME hasn't been changed yet that would be the first suggestion I'd have. After that I would suspect the ECU. Who did the reprogramming and has it been tested by others? Really need to find another ECU to try.
DME relay has been mentioned by several others. So, even though my situation does not appear to suggest a bad DME......the relays are cheap, so I'll change it out.

I'm also considering changing out the flywheel position sensor since that is a relatively inexpensive part.

Thanks for your thoughts on this issue.

Ernie
Old 09-25-2014, 03:02 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Vorsicht
I had a similar problem after my rebuild. Car would run fine and then stall after about 20 minutes and I could not re-start until the engine was cold.

As you are doing, I tried all kinds of things and then someone here suggested the flywheel sensor. I put in a new one and that solved it.

You do have some different symptoms however so I am just throwing this out there as an idea.

Good luck and keep us posted! You WILL figure it out!
As I previously stated back in June (post #5), it could very possibly be an intermittent DME relay issue.
This is a cheap part, that is known for failing and creating such symptoms as you describe. Because of this, it should have been one of your first courses of action But as the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water...

Another culprit could be as Vorsicht describes.

If it were me; and I realize I am wasting my keystrokes here, I would replace each component, one at a time to see if it resolves the issue... ...Or at least swap them out with known good units. Any 993 Porsche pals close by?

P.S. For the reasons stated above, I question any wrench who did not automatically suspect the DME relay as a potential first course of action...
How many checks has he cashed to date?

Last edited by nine9six; 09-25-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:11 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 310 Posts

this is crazy.. can't wait to see what's really happening here. Especially the stalling at 3000 rpm- very weird. I had a DME issue on my 85 targa years ago- it would literally cut off the electrical an stall the car at ANY speed for a split second- then work fine! the tach would go from 3000 to zero and back in the blink of an eye. It finally gave up completely ( on the highway outside of Sacramento) and had the car towed in as I didn't have a spare.
Your issues doesn't sound like a DME issue, but who knows! I carry an extra in the glove now at all times. $ 45 dollar insurance policy.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:16 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nine9six
As I previously stated back in June (post #5), it could very possibly be an intermittent DME relay issue.
This is a cheap part, that is known for failing and creating such symptoms as you describe. Because of this, it should have been one of your first courses of action But as the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water...

Another culprit could be as Vorsicht describes.

If it were me; and I realize I am wasting my keystrokes here, I would replace each component, one at a time to see if it resolves the issue... ...Or at least swap them out with known good units. Any 993 Porsche pals close by?

P.S. For the reasons stated above, I question any wrench who did not automatically suspect the DME relay as a potential first course of action...
How many checks has he cashed to date?

Well, this has been a learning experience for me. My formal training is as an engineer, so I know the importance of testing one thing at a time. And, in defense of my indie, he has followed that protocol exclusively. He has replaced items one at a time to determine if there was a change.

He changed out the CHT probe. He changed out injectors, one at a time. Not sure what he did to prove out the MAF and the TPS, through he did tell me that they checked out electrically.

As noted in my threads, we thought that we had eliminated everything other than the ECU; so, he finally pulled that and sent it out the Bosch ECU guy in Florida who has been recommended by others. And, as noted, they did not find anything wrong with the ECU. I still kind of suspect that unit, but finding one to swap out is easier said than done. The unit is almost $2000 from Porsche, and they are year specific. And, they are set up with immobilizers that are specific to the car. So, you just don't take one off the shelf and put it in the car. To date, I have not been able to locate one that is correct for my year car. If I could find a used one at a reasonable price, I would send it off to have it configured to work in my car. But, so far, I have struck out in that camp.

As far as cost, as noted in my earlier postings, he stopped the meter on the tab quite a while ago and is working this car "pro bono" when he has open time in his shop. He has 3 mechanics in the business. He assigned the car to one of them, who has been working on it as he has time. Now that he has done everything they thought possible, he is about to assign the car to another one of his mechanics. Hoping that the second guy will do something differently.

So, he is being very methodical in the manner in which he is testing on the car. I will travel up to his shop next week and go over everything that he has done since he does not debrief me as he would if there was cost involved in changing something.

The only handicap is that he does not have some of the test equipment that the dealers have. He does not have a Hammer, bust has a tool that is similar (sorry I don't remember what it is). He has been monitoring CO levels, so he has the capability of doing that. He does not have an oscilloscope, but has access to one; so, not sure what he will do there. So, since he is doing this work without charge, I have stayed out of his business; but, feel that it is time to go over the details of what he has done.

If he has not replaced the DME relay, I will have him do that.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:56 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Ernie,
I'm no expert, but all I'm saying is the DME relay is one of the FIRST culprits in the issue you describe. To have gone through and done all that has been done to rectify the problem, I cant believe at this point, the DME relay has not yet been approached!

Its a $30 item, and when a solder joint in the relay cracks due to vibration, and heat cycling, it can produce the very same symptoms you have described. A wrench worth his salt should know this...

Hang in there, brother
Old 09-26-2014, 01:17 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by earossi

Now, there have been a few new pieces of information determined from playing with the car. My mechanic has determined that at a cold start up, when the aux air pump is activated (for about 30 seconds), that CO levels are fairly balanced between the two banks of the engine. As soon as the air pump shuts down, there is a divergence of the CO levels. One bank shows about 1% CO while the other bank moves up to a value of about 4% CO. I've been told that both values are within normal limits, but there is a question of why the CO levels would remain in close balance to one another as long as the air pump is on, and then diverge once the pump shuts down.
I am assuming these values are pre-cat, or no cat. You clearly have one bank running richer than the other. When the air pump is activated, there is enough O2 to complete the burning of the fuel, when off, the imbalance is evident. This could point to a manifold or vacuum leak on the bank showing 1%, but 4% to me sounds very high, so I would more likely suspect a problem on the rich bank.

I am not sure if the ECU controls fuel injection by bank or not - I would think it does. I do not recall if you mentioned if O2 sensors have been replaced. I would also guess that a cam not timed correctly could also lead to a rich condition.

I found an interesting site trying to find a reference for CO levels http://www.systemsc.com/problems.htm

This is interesting:

A high CO level can result from a bad fuel pressure regulator, a bad air flow meter or air mass sensor,
a performance chip, a bad temperature sensor, or a bad O2 (oxygen) sensor. A HC level failure can
result from a bad fuel injector, a weak cylinder, bad spark plugs or ignition wires, an intake air leak
or a bad O2 sensor. A NOx level failure can result from a too advanced ignition timing (installed
performance chip), a lean fuel mixture, or a weak catalytic converter. The typical values for each are;
CO < 1%, HC < 100 ppm, and NOx < 500 ppm. The level of CO2 (carbon dioxide) which results
from the catalytic converter reaction is a measure of the effectiveness of the catalytic converter.
Typical values of CO2 are 13 to 15 percent.
Also,

Generally, most fuel injection map changes without modified intake air flow or exhausts yield very
little in a performance increase. This becomes even less effective when an oxygen sensor is being
utilized. Some performance chips, though, may disable the O2 sensor input to achieve more throttle
response. The only real performance increase results from changes to the ignition maps by advancing
the timing. This usually becomes less effective with fuel injection systems that utilize knock sensors.

An analysis of a number of performance chips' fuel and ignition maps has provided insights into
what actually is modified. All the performance chips analyzed had basically the identical fuel maps
as the stock/original factory chips. The significant differences were the "pushed" ignition maps. Some
performance chips had ignition advance values exceeding 50 degrees, where the maximum BTDC
value for a 911 Porsche should not exceed 40 degrees for octane ratings and fuels available today.

Pinging or detonation can occur for non-knock sensor systems when ignition maps are advanced
beyond a few degrees, or when knock sensor ignition systems are "pushed" beyond the knock control
to achieve the desired performance. This may result in some possible engine damage. Furthermore,
changes to the fuel injection system may result in increased levels of emissions, e.g. CO & NOx.
These new levels can cause catalytic converter problems or cause emissions test failures. Additionally,
systems with OBDII diagnostics may incur additional problems with emissions testing.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Stalling on a Hot Engine Issue