993 Forum 1995-1998

Renn-memory: Sponsoring a car at Le Mans

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Renn-memory: Sponsoring a car at Le Mans

(Warning: Long and rambling, but I'm feeling rather nostalgic...)

Among the tens of thousands of followers of Rennlist, there's been some pretty big names over the years.

One of them is Kevin Buckler.

In fact the Rennlist logo had been on The Racers Group Le Mans entries in 2001, 2002, and 2003, including the year Kevin took class honors.

Fast forward 51 weeks to Tuesday of Le Mans week, 2004... in other words 10 years ago.

Kevin calls John D and asks if he has any ideas for a sponsor for the wing of his 2004 RSR entry. Kevin's not driving, but The Racer's Group is managing a GT entry for three Europeans -- what would be GTE-Am today. John told him he may know just the bunch of Merry Pranksters who'd probably leap at the chance. Hey Wait For Me Racing... The Turtle Team.

HWFMR started as the name I'd given my PCA Club Racing efforts, and had put it in my signature. I'd been spending a lot of time here on the 993 board and on the Racing Board. Other 'Listers saw it and said "that sounds like a team I should be on."

Hopefuls merely had to post their exploits and on-track follies in a self-deprecating application for team membership. After others teammates had a chance to comment, they were welcomed to the team.

Within a year, and thanks to Rennlist and John D's support, we had over 150 teammates around the world. Lots of 993s driven well within the performance envelope.

John D called me Tuesday morning and wanted to know if we'd like to have the team logo on a Le Mans entry.

But there was a big "But..." And that being the cost was well into 4 figures. Equal to a fair number of Hoosiers.

John wondered if we could post on Rennlist and ask HWFM team members if they would chip in to cover the cost.

I had no idea if we could raise that kind of money on Rennlist. But, Hey, a car at Le Mans!...

I called Kevin and explained what John and I were thinking of doing. I said I'd personally guaranty a smaller amount, and he could have everything we raised if we exceeded that guaranty.

Kevin said deal. (Obviously a big believer in the power of Rennlist)

Tuesday evening John and I posted asking teammates and Rennlisters to contribute.

OMG.

People loved the idea. Instantly dozens and dozens of teammates, and many others reached into their pockets and contributed.

We had Rennlisters chipping in hundred dollars for the effort.

We had college guys scraping together $15 -- all the money they could spare, even valuable beer money -- just to be a part of it.

In a matter of hours, we’d exceeded our goal. By Thursday morning, more than 80 had pledged to participate, and contributions were still coming in.

The Turtle logo went on the wing Thursday afternoon. Thursday night, the car was a couple seconds quicker in the second qualifying session. Co-incidence? Of course not.

Saturday morning found groups of Rennlisters huddled around televisions all across the country. Teammates from Singapore to Switzerland were tuned in.
In Chicago, 20 of us gathered at Jeff Phillips townhouse. We had our first sighting of the logo while the Racers Group car was on the grid.

The Racers Group's distinctive blue swirls made the car easy to spot during the coverage. Unfortunately, the low down-force wing setting for the Mulsanne Straight meant the logo would be a little hard to see (How HWFM!). Every time the Racers Group entry appeared on camera, every index finger in the room would rocket toward the screen accompanied by shouts of “There it is!... There it is!... That’s our car!” Interesting how a small sponsorship role quickly grows into “our” car.

The #81 GT3 RSR started 42 of 48, comparable to where some of us start in our PCA club races.

However, the driver team of Ian Donaldson, Gregor Fisken and Lars Nielsen kept working their way up the lap charts, hour after hour.

By Sunday morning they had the car dialed in, and were regularly turning faster laps than their qualifying times.

By 3 pm and the end of the race, the Turtle had beaten 30 Hares to finish 18th overall and sixth in class. A wonderful performance, and just what you’d expect from The Racer’s Group.

Thanks to John D, and and the enthusiasm generated by Rennlist, we ultimately raised more than three times the amount I promised to cover.

However, we did withhold a small amount. Everyone who contributed received this poster, as well as a patch and a window sticker.

That effort was so much fun, we decided to actually attend the race the following year. Thirty of us made that trip in 2005.

Thank you to John D. and Rennlist for making it all possible ten years ago.

This is a pretty special site.
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2014, 04:17 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, loooong time ago it seems. When I got into this stuff a local team comprised of Golden Gate Region PCA guys (and some girls) had just come back from running a 935 there. Later that summer I bought a bunch of engine parts from another local shop owner who taken his homebuilt GTU 914-6 to Daytona 24 Hours earlier in the year.

No question Buckler & Company achieved great things with minimal budget.

(Question I have now is who's really funding these efforts, beyond the manufacturers. Idle rich, or just more sophisticated drug dealers?)
Old 06-15-2014, 09:20 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
(Warning: Long and rambling, but I'm feeling rather nostalgic...)

Among the tens of thousands of followers of Rennlist, there's been some pretty big names over the years.

One of them is Kevin Buckler.

In fact the Rennlist logo had been on The Racers Group Le Mans entries in 2001, 2002, and 2003, including the year Kevin took class honors.

Fast forward 51 weeks to Tuesday of Le Mans week, 2004... in other words 10 years ago.

Kevin calls John D and asks if he has any ideas for a sponsor for the wing of his 2004 RSR entry. Kevin's not driving, but The Racer's Group is managing a GT entry for three Europeans -- what would be GTE-Am today. John told him he may know just the bunch of Merry Pranksters who'd probably leap at the chance. Hey Wait For Me Racing... The Turtle Team.

HWFMR started as the name I'd given my PCA Club Racing efforts, and had put it in my signature. I'd been spending a lot of time here on the 993 board and on the Racing Board. Other 'Listers saw it and said "that sounds like a team I should be on."

Hopefuls merely had to post their exploits and on-track follies in a self-deprecating application for team membership. After others teammates had a chance to comment, they were welcomed to the team.

Within a year, and thanks to Rennlist and John D's support, we had over 150 teammates around the world. Lots of 993s driven well within the performance envelope.

John D called me Tuesday morning and wanted to know if we'd like to have the team logo on a Le Mans entry.

But there was a big "But..." And that being the cost was well into 4 figures. Equal to a fair number of Hoosiers.

John wondered if we could post on Rennlist and ask HWFM team members if they would chip in to cover the cost.

I had no idea if we could raise that kind of money on Rennlist. But, Hey, a car at Le Mans!...

I called Kevin and explained what John and I were thinking of doing. I said I'd personally guaranty a smaller amount, and he could have everything we raised if we exceeded that guaranty.

Kevin said deal. (Obviously a big believer in the power of Rennlist)

Tuesday evening John and I posted asking teammates and Rennlisters to contribute.

OMG.

People loved the idea. Instantly dozens and dozens of teammates, and many others reached into their pockets and contributed.

We had Rennlisters chipping in hundred dollars for the effort.

We had college guys scraping together $15 -- all the money they could spare, even valuable beer money -- just to be a part of it.

In a matter of hours, we’d exceeded our goal. By Thursday morning, more than 80 had pledged to participate, and contributions were still coming in.

The Turtle logo went on the wing Thursday afternoon. Thursday night, the car was a couple seconds quicker in the second qualifying session. Co-incidence? Of course not.

Saturday morning found groups of Rennlisters huddled around televisions all across the country. Teammates from Singapore to Switzerland were tuned in.
In Chicago, 20 of us gathered at Jeff Phillips townhouse. We had our first sighting of the logo while the Racers Group car was on the grid.

The Racers Group's distinctive blue swirls made the car easy to spot during the coverage. Unfortunately, the low down-force wing setting for the Mulsanne Straight meant the logo would be a little hard to see (How HWFM!). Every time the Racers Group entry appeared on camera, every index finger in the room would rocket toward the screen accompanied by shouts of “There it is!... There it is!... That’s our car!” Interesting how a small sponsorship role quickly grows into “our” car.

The #81 GT3 RSR started 42 of 48, comparable to where some of us start in our PCA club races.

However, the driver team of Ian Donaldson, Gregor Fisken and Lars Nielsen kept working their way up the lap charts, hour after hour.

By Sunday morning they had the car dialed in, and were regularly turning faster laps than their qualifying times.

By 3 pm and the end of the race, the Turtle had beaten 30 Hares to finish 18th overall and sixth in class. A wonderful performance, and just what you’d expect from The Racer’s Group.

Thanks to John D, and and the enthusiasm generated by Rennlist, we ultimately raised more than three times the amount I promised to cover.

However, we did withhold a small amount. Everyone who contributed received this poster, as well as a patch and a window sticker.

That effort was so much fun, we decided to actually attend the race the following year. Thirty of us made that trip in 2005.

Thank you to John D. and Rennlist for making it all possible ten years ago.

This is a pretty special site.
Hey Mike....

I've got to say...

I've read, re-read your post so many times....

Simply...?

Yep - it was just like that...

I miss the old days - the days when this site had the "We can do it" attitude. And you know what? We "did"...

Happy Fathers Day to you my friend - and thank you for so many special memories along the way... As for "Hey, Wait For Me Racing"?. I still wear my hat to my DE events - and as the C.I. for my region, it gets a few questions

Mike - simply..?

Thank you! Maybe we'll have the chance to catch up sometime in the future, but in the meantime?

Thanks for all you've done - and all the memories...

As for me? I'm headed to go post in the Ghetto Racing Forum on Rennlist....

John D.

Quick Reply: Renn-memory: Sponsoring a car at Le Mans