993 Forum 1995-1998

Problem with WEVOs

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 02:42 PM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Problem with WEVOs

I installed mine about a month ago. I noticed the black pillows looked like the were in poor shape a couple weeks in so I picked up some used blue ones.

Yesterday I have a little bit of time so I decided to swap out the pillows.
The right side was quite deformed as you can see in the pictures. I don't know if this was poor manufacturing or what. Its not like I have the weight of an intercooler on top of it. These should be able to stand the weight of a stock engine. If you haven't already, you may want to check yours.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:29 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had Wevos in my car for over six years and have found that the pillows should be treated like a wear item. I've replaced them twice. The bottom pillows split and fall apart over time. Kind of a puzzling design, sandwiching a thin urethane wafer in between the mount and the washer.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:48 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Make sure your washer arrangement is as seen in the photo above (mount>pillow>washer>carrier>nut) and make sure you're only torquing them to 40ft/lbs. If you're torquing them to the value used for the OEM mounts, then you're overtorquing them.

http://wevo.com/Products/ChassisProd...gineMounts.htm
Old 06-14-2014, 06:03 PM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they are torqued more than 40lbs already, loosening that to 40 would be a bad idea right? As the pillows are already deformed?
Old 06-14-2014, 06:43 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

To the OP, yes, I also think the torque is potentially an issue here. The specs are significantly lower.

Worst case, I believe WEVO will just sell you a spare set of pillows. Why don't you ask them what type of longevity you should expect from them?

Mine have only been on the car for 2 seasons, so far so good (as far as I can tell).

Best,

Matt
Old 06-14-2014, 07:22 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Mine are very new (8 months), will take a look in a few days. I just did a AutoX today that would put some stress there.

Thanks for posting a potential issue.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:52 PM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I torqued them down to 55Nm. The specs are hard to miss as there is a piece of paper in with the bag of hardware that clarifies. I verified the washers are arranged correctly. I have no idea how this could have happened, I did notice some wetness on the bolts, but that shouldn't affect the pillows.

I don't really expect to get an answer to why, I just want to make sure others aren't experiencing the same problem.

Also, I don't really notice any difference now that I'm running blue.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:36 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Checked mine last night, actually, Gonzilla did, and pieces of the bottom mount had come off. Mine may have been over torqued, not sure, I had a shop install them. I have the black pillow, just ordered a set of blues.

Agree with NP 993 above, the design seems to promote the bottom of the mount to "cut" into the bottom pillow when the washer is tightened. Seems to be the weak part of the design.

For $35, new pillows ain't bad though....
Old 10-17-2014, 02:39 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

So what seems to be the life of a pillow?
I would assume it would be predicated upon correct installation, torque, and type of useage?
Old 10-17-2014, 03:17 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad I went RS.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:35 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Went with the solid mounts years ago. Thought maybe I shoulda got the WEVOs, but the NVH was pretty much non-existent. Now I'm glad I didn't
Old 10-17-2014, 04:21 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
So what seems to be the life of a pillow?
I would assume it would be predicated upon correct installation, torque, and type of useage?
since I bought my WEVOs used, I have no idea, but the looked fine when I installed them with 93,880 miles on the car in Oct 2012. 2 years later, with 98, 300 miles on the car, is when it was noted they have come apart. I have no idea they have been like this however. Certainly they should last much longer than 5k miles, so I strongly suspect that mine were over torqued.

OP only had black pillows for a month, so for all I know, mine have been like this for 13 months. OP did not mention torque, so that is an unknown. I would be interested to know if OP has had better luck with the blue pillows

Pictures show the pieces that came off, and circled in red as to where they came from.

my thinking is to replace the bottom pillows with new blue ones, as they are harder, so hopefully sturdier, but keep the black pillows on top for a little more compliance. I will also make sure to have the bolts torqued to the WEVO specified 40ft-lbs also.

Any other WEVO users have this issue?

there is still the center of the bottom pillow that exists between the mount and the washer, so everything is still nice and snug.

I will replace when I get the new pillows, but in the mean time, there shouldn't be much harm in driving with it this way is there?
Attached Images   

Last edited by Kika; 10-17-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:54 AM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts

Just had the Wevo black pillow mounts installed in my 95 C2 and I am getting a buzzing / vibration in second and third gear around 4000 rpm. Is this normal? I did verify with my mechanic that they were torqued to the proper wevo recommended specs.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:47 AM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pags, how displaced were the rubber inserts/bolts on your old mounts? How long since last tranny fluid change?

I'm sure this isn't it, but your mech made sure to Jack the motor and carrier flush to the mounts? You can torque the bolts to right numbers and have the motor misaligned to the tranny.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks Phoneyman, the old mounts were in decent condition and tranny fluid change was 3500 miles ago.

Based on a longer drive today I think you are right re the motor being misaligned to the tranny. I will call them first thing Monday to resolve. Kinda puzzles me that they did not take it for a run to make sure it was ok.

Quick Reply: Problem with WEVOs