993 Forum 1995-1998

N spec tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 01:21 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
The most important thing is to know what your load, speed and heat rating are. The "XL"
load rates are around 1650 lbs. the "Y" ratings are around 1430 lbs. some of the "N" spec tires are not "XL" load rating, some are. You figure at the least, 1400 lbs (per tire/corner). If you go with the XL you're more than fine. Just don't buy some off the wall, no name "Acme" tire, make sure of ratings and you'll be fine. Those who state they had better handling with the N specs, we're not taking into account that, yes the more exspensive, better handling tire is gonna run better. Not because of it being N spec, but because it's a better tire. For street driving and if you're not pushing the limits, save the bills for good rubber when you need it.
Yeah, I don't think you can even get close to overloading a tire on any generation 911 in relation to what's generally available. Quick check on the pig that is the 996 Turbo is GVWR = 4156 (over two tons!?!?!), with a rear axle rating of 2601.

Still not sure what a "better handling" tire is. Each have their characteristics. And characteristics are just that. Some tires might be more crisp on input. But other aspect of its construction might mean less ultimate grip. Which really no on the street is ever going to realize, as I can't even fathom driving through available grip absent encountering road hazards (wet, ice, gravel, dead animal guts, etc.).

Oddity is that the "good" (R compound) rubber is some of the most poorly constructed out there, its purpose in life being grip and minimum unsprung weight with little regard to durability.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:42 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Oddity is that the "good" (R compound) rubber is some of the most poorly constructed out there, its purpose in life being grip and minimum unsprung weight with little regard to durability.
And it lasts from 60 to 100 miles on my sub-2100 lb Miata. Damn purple crack.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:59 PM
Zeichen 282
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

For me it boils down to how the car is used - I'd wager for most U.S. owners the additional expense for N rated tires would never pay off in any perceptible benefit. Which is why my 993 currently rides on non N-spec tires, since all I do is mildly spirited pleasure driving on public roads that never goes beyond probably 6.5/10 in terms of the car's (to say nothing of the driver's) capabilities.

Now, if I lived in Germany I might think differently - I'd probably choose N-spec tires given that I'd use the car in an environment that much more closely resembles the conditions Porsche engineers tested and approved N-spec tires for. Namely, for example, hours of sustained high speeds of 100+ mph and even occasional track use. I attended the Michelin presentation at this year's Tech Tactics East and I believe their claim that 993 N-spec Michelin Pilots are very different from, say, Pilots developed for AMG cars even if they appear to be identical to a lay person. The Porsche Pilots will have different internals, differently distributed compound mix etc. to accommodate the very unique rear weight bias of a rear engine car vs. a front heavy AMG, for example.

Long story short, I think my next set of tires will be N-spec Michelins just so I can experience and compare for myself. And if all goes well I'll give my current tires the rest during my very first DE this year (fingers crossed) and then do another DE on N-spec Michelins in 2016. Wish me luck!
Old 05-29-2015, 03:48 PM
uberlawyer
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've bought Michelin PS2s. Haven't fitted them yet, first I want to trash the current rubber on the track.

I went for the N spec because I'm not familiar with all the specifics that a 911 requires and in my climate wet grip is also important.

Otherwise, I would have gone for Yoko Advan Neova.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:44 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I find this thread pretty funny in that Porsche also specified Monroe shocks for the suspension, and we do not see a whole undercurrent of people replacing those shocks with the factory recommendations? So we put in after market shocks and that changes the whole handling profile of the car, then replace bushings, sways, and height and alignment specifications, and that is all supported - but when talking tires, Porsche is the way to go?

Obviously, I completely ignore the N rating, that sounds just like a cash-flow device for the tire manufacturers and Porsche, and buy the high performance tire I like. No problems so far,and its only been 14 years of 993 ownership ....

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: N spec tires