Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

blowing 25 amp fuel pump fuse...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:27 PM
dianeandpablo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blowing 25 amp fuel pump fuse...

Hey fellas...I need some help before I go in deep here with our '96 C2.

We were running at a good clip on the interstate, then suddenly she just died.

Pulled off to the shoulder, tried to fire her up again...no dice. Engine turned as it should but it's as if the DME relay failed. So I get under the hood, check the fuel pump fuse (#26) first, and it's blown.

Swapped it out with a new one, jumped back in, cranked 'er over and she starts right up only to die a second later. Went back to check the fuse, sure enough, blown again.

Now, naturally the next thing to check is the DME relay. So I swapped it out with a new one I had as a spare, changed the 25 amp fuel pump fuse a second time...all for naught, same symptoms. Runs for a second, dies again, third blown 25 amp fuse.

Towed her home, nice story about that experience, hooked up the OBD II scanner...no codes. So, the next thing to do is to rule out the fuel pump. I pulled out the DME relay, jumpered the 3,5, and 7 terminals, fuel pump whirred for about a second then "pop," fourth fuse blown.

Car is driven daily, fresh gas, new fuel filter, no problems or strange symptoms before this problem. The fuel pump was buzzing audibly, as it always has, but I'm not sure if one would call it "loud." But when I went to jump the DME relay and heard the pump run, for that second or two I heard it, it didn't sound as loud.

I'm think the fuel pump may be the problem, possibly blowing the fuse because it's beginning to seize....but I' not sure.

Has anyone ever had this sort of problem with the fuel pump fuse blowing one after another? Before I start looking for shorts or corroded grounds, I'd like to know if these symptoms were experienced due to a dying fuel pump.

I never had one just die on me like that, and with 118,000 miles on the original, maybe it's par for the course?
Old 04-20-2014, 11:38 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

I replaced mine at 97K miles after symptoms just like yours - shop manual has a test procedure and test point values if I recall correctly. It's an easy DIY.

No problems since.

Sean
Old 04-21-2014, 12:33 AM
dianeandpablo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Sean...I'll look in the WSM and see what the tests entail.

Quick Reply: blowing 25 amp fuel pump fuse...